ESPN UK wins Premier League TV rights - Free on Virgin Media's Top package.

Interpolic

I rang them yesterday to cancel and they told me I'd have to pay a final DD on the 25th of this month. I told them I wan't paying for 7 weeks service which I had no intention of using and would cancel the DD. I was told if I did that they would keep phoning me to get me to pay. I told them I never pick up phone calls and hopefully they would be bust by the end of the month anyway.

Only positive to come from Setanta showing Premier League games was that I got to meet Les Ferdinand.  Him and Steve McManaman did the pundit stuff on a Newcastle 5.15 game and went to Tup Tup Palace that night.  I was there with my lass  when they walked in (I swear I only went once, true story).  

I bypassed McManaman pretty sharpish and went and shook the Les' hand.  Was a bit mortified the next day when I realised that all I could muster was "Hi Les, you're... you're amazing", pretty sure he thought I was a right freak.

funny you should say that ,in the chat forum i used the word AMAZING in the pet hates thread and my reasoning was the total misuse of the word unless he made Mcmanaman turn into a rabbit infront of your eyes and that would be amazing  :snod:

Tried to cancel with them the other day. The guy on the phone started giving me lower offers, until eventually i got it for £3.99 a month for the next 3 months, thought i might as well have kept it on for that price.

You were conned mate they give me it last week for £3.33a month lol.

Tried to cancel with them the other day. The guy on the phone started giving me lower offers, until eventually i got it for £3.99 a month for the next 3 months, thought i might as well have kept it on for that price.

You were conned mate they give me it last week for £3.33a month lol.

The bastards.

Not great news for us living abroad, we rely on Setanta heavily for our PL coverage and championship too. They show a lot of games over here, if they go under I can't see anyone else giving us the same kind of  service :(

Guest NUFCrichard

I don't really understand the hatred of Setanta.  I like to watch the IPL, UFC and boxing they have on as well as football.  It's a load better than Prem Plus was.  The Boxing on setanta is expecially is good as Sky will charge you £15 to watch one half decent fight and a bunch of bums on the undercard!

I don't really understand the hatred of Setanta.  I like to watch the IPL, UFC and boxing they have on as well as football.  It's a load better than Prem Plus was.  The Boxing on setanta is expecially is good as Sky will charge you £15 to watch one half decent fight and a bunch of bums on the undercard!

Setanta costs three times as much as Prem Plus used to. I don't care about all the other shit they throw in with it.

Setanta costs three times as much as Prem Plus used to. I don't care about all the other shit they throw in with it.

I only have it because like alreetlike said on the first page, it's free with the Virgin tv package. It is indeed a ripoff if you pay for it, I never watch the french or german leagues because they are shite, and the other sports are quite boring.

Guest the_guv_nor

Aye hate setanta, mainly becasue I dont have it but hopefully this will mean the UFC will be back on Bravo!

This.

For $15 a month I get to see every PL game in full played over the weekend, with at least 3 live. I also get all Champions League games, if I cared about that. Plus Championship games live too. Also they bundle in a Rugby and other the footballing shows they do.

Since the Canadian $ is around half the value of the pound, then it's really an excellent deal for me. Would be awful if they went out of business.

Personally I'm split, Setanta has always been good for Newcastle especially in either friendlies or the Intertoto Cup and I would hate to see it effect Newcastle in terms of finance it would come at the wrong time for us, I would also hate to see almost all of the SPL teams apart from the Old Firm teams go down aswell. On the other hand I would love to see more games on BBC, ITV or 5 for Premiership and also SPL, so I think a medium of where they can gather enough money to pay everyone but have to sell their remaining rights would be ideal in my opinion.

Personally I'm split, Setanta has always been good for Newcastle especially in either friendlies or the Intertoto Cup and I would hate to see it effect Newcastle in terms of finance it would come at the wrong time for us, I would also hate to see almost all of the SPL teams apart from the Old Firm teams go down aswell. On the other hand I would love to see more games on BBC, ITV or 5 for Premiership and also SPL, so I think a medium of where they can gather enough money to pay everyone but have to sell their remaining rights would be ideal in my opinion.

:kinnear:

Have we ever lost a competitive game that was shown live on 5?

I actually think that we may of won them all, 5 used to do the early rounds of the Uefa Cup so I struggle to remember a game that we may of lost or even drawn.

I actually think that we may of won them all, 5 used to do the early rounds of the Uefa Cup so I struggle to remember a game that we may of lost or even drawn.

Drew against Frankfurt and either Ventspils or Tallinn at home at least, but I always quite liked 5's coverage. Knowingly amateur, didn't take itself too seriously and pretty funny.

Drew against Frankfurt and either Ventspils or Tallinn at home at least, but I always quite liked 5's coverage. Knowingly amateur, didn't take itself too seriously and pretty funny.

1 or 2 draws out of how many games, 5 buy the rights to the Championship please.

I think bigchrisfgb's raised an interesting point - wouldn't it be fantastic if there were say 10-20 top-flight games on terrestrial telly?  BBC can't really justify paying for Premier League rights with the licence payers' money, but the Championship games are a good start.  Would be great if league football on TV became more of an event again - Super Sunday's become routine as fuck.

Sunday's are just fucking ridiculous now. You can get up at 7 on a Sunday morning and watch highlights on a morning, journos talking football at noon, 2 live games on the afternoon and sometimes 2 Spanish games on an evening.

Talk about overkill. The bubble's going to burst soon for football.