The England Thread

Pilko

I think that this excellent winning mentality that Capello has instilled will be the most important thing.

That, and the fact that some fairly poor teams are qualifying (South Africa, Slovakia [nearly], Ghana) give us a real chance of winning the thing for the first time in ages.

EDIT: Ghana aren't that bad actually, tbf.

You don't become the best by beating the rest. You beat the best to become the best.

We could get Slovakia in the Last 16 and Ghana in the Quarter-final, then still potentially have Italy and Brazil infront of us. All the big guns are still going to be there; it's still going to be ridiculously hard to win.

Argentina will be there. They are still fifth I think? That gives them a playoff spot against some crap team from NA.

True. Would be roflicious if they failed to qualify though.

I'm banking on Portugal to fail, would give me years and years of abuse towards my Portuguese friends + Cronaldo now at Madrid.

Be shit if they failed to qualify tbh. Argentina were the best thing in the tournament last year; it was an injustice to football that they didn't win it. That goal against whoever it was; genius. Also the 2-1 game against Mexico; a fabulous spectacle of football.

The knockout stages last year was the most cautious knockout phase i've seen of any tournament. Half the games were 1-0 if i remember correctly. The group stages were entertaining, but not the knockout.

Be s*** if they failed to qualify tbh. Argentina were the best thing in the tournament last year; it was an injustice to football that they didn't win it. That goal against whoever it was; genius. Also the 2-1 game against Mexico; a fabulous spectacle of football.

The knockout stages last year was the most cautious knockout phase i've seen of any tournament. Half the games were 1-0 if i remember correctly. The group stages were entertaining, but not the knockout.

It was against Croatia, whiping boys indeed.

Maradona will NEVER get them playing like that, however. Why he is still adored like a demi-god is something I will never understand (for not using less gentle words)

EDIT: It was against Serbia, I'm probably going to get hunted by death by some former Yugoslav now.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Englands goals: a penalty, three free headers and an open net from a mistake, Croatia were unbelievably poor. The easy chances we got we missed (Heskey fluffing his 1 vs 1s). We still have a long way to go to be beating the likes of Spain et al.

England is the favorite in South Africa simply for one reason Fabio Capello. The man won everything with every club he has been associate with. I can see England lifting the world cup with favorable weather in SA.

Favorite?? Really? If we're talking bookie's odds then it's nothing to do with the team at all, just our blind optimism. Spain will be favorites, surely.

England is the favorite in South Africa simply for one reason Fabio Capello. The man won everything with every club he has been associate with. I can see England lifting the world cup with favorable weather in SA.

Favorite?? Really? If we're talking bookie's odds then it's nothing to do with the team at all, just our blind optimism. Spain will be favorites, surely.

We have never got past quarter finals in the last 70 years. I fully expect us to go back to our usual bottling ways.

Brazil looks like a meat grinding machine tbh.

I think that this excellent winning mentality that Capello has instilled will be the most important thing.

That, and the fact that some fairly poor teams are qualifying (South Africa, Slovakia [nearly], Ghana) give us a real chance of winning the thing for the first time in ages.

EDIT: Ghana aren't that bad actually, tbf.

You don't become the best by beating the rest. You beat the best to become the best.

We could get Slovakia in the Last 16 and Ghana in the Quarter-final, then still potentially have Italy and Brazil infront of us. All the big guns are still going to be there; it's still going to be ridiculously hard to win.

We really shouldn't have any problem with Brazil or Italy. Only Spain will cause us serious problems providing our big players stay fit

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Brazil will win it. They were absurdly good on sunday morning.

The world cup final isn't on last sunday morning though  is it clever cloggs. This is Murray's competition to lose now imo, one horse race.

There's really too many random variables involved in the knockout rounds to say that anyone is a "clear favorite." England could be heads and shoulders above everybody else in the world (which they're not) and it would still be ridiculously difficult for them to take the cup.

Heck, for all we know at this point, South Korea could win it. :snod:

We have never got past quarter finals in the last 70 years. I fully expect us to go back to our usual bottling ways.

:dowie:

Ok, I exaggerated. Last time we got to semifinals was in 1950.

He's spanish.

Be s*** if they failed to qualify tbh. Argentina were the best thing in the tournament last year; it was an injustice to football that they didn't win it. That goal against whoever it was; genius. Also the 2-1 game against Mexico; a fabulous spectacle of football.

Maradona will NEVER get them playing like that, however. Why he is still adored like a demi-god is something I will never understand (for not using less gentle words)

EDIT: It was against Serbia, I'm probably going to get hunted by death by some former Yugoslav now.

The 24 pass goal? Was that not Serbia?

The 24 pass goal? Was that not Serbia?

You've quoted him saying it was against Serbia (& Montenegro, no less) :lol:

I'm in 2 minds about Argentina. On the one hand, Maradona is a cheating cunt, on the other hand, I like the World Cup to have the best teams in it. Think it'd be a shame if Messi/Aguero etc weren't there.