The England Thread

Pilko

Be s*** if they failed to qualify tbh. Argentina were the best thing in the tournament last year; it was an injustice to football that they didn't win it. That goal against whoever it was; genius. Also the 2-1 game against Mexico; a fabulous spectacle of football.

The knockout stages last year was the most cautious knockout phase i've seen of any tournament. Half the games were 1-0 if i remember correctly. The group stages were entertaining, but not the knockout.

It was against Croatia, whiping boys indeed.

Maradona will NEVER get them playing like that, however. Why he is still adored like a demi-god is something I will never understand (for not using less gentle words)

EDIT: It was against Serbia, I'm probably going to get hunted by death by some former Yugoslav now.

The 24 pass goal? Was that not Serbia?

You've quoted him saying it was against Serbia (& Montenegro, no less) :lol:

I'm in 2 minds about Argentina. On the one hand, Maradona is a cheating c***, on the other hand, I like the World Cup to have the best teams in it. Think it'd be a shame if Messi/Aguero etc weren't there.

it didn't say it when I  posted it man. :p

Brazil will win it. They were absurdly good on sunday morning.

It was more Argentina being absolutely rubbish to be honest. Luis Fabiano was brilliant though

Thought Brazil's defence was excellent, Messi put them under severe pressure. When it went 1-2, they just went up the other end, scored another one and shut the game off. Argentina tried to go through the middle and outside but to no avail.

Kaka's pass was flukey tbf.

Argentina aren't one of the best teams

Ok captain pedantic, a team containing some of the best players. Do you not class Argentina as one of the best International teams? Are you saying you wouldn't be surprised if they didn't qualify?

Actually don't answer that, you probably think it's Paraguay's tournament to lose.

very original  :rolleyes:

Argentina have 3 or 4 great players but I honestly couldn't care less about seeing them at the world cup, it'll serve them and their cuntish country right

Well that was half of my argument, Maradona the cheating cunt (against Bobby no less)

However the football fan in me would like to see the best players in the tournament, guess you can't have it both ways.

I want all the best teams to be there, all the best players, all the best fans to make it a fantastic world cup.

Makes it easier when we get fucked out in the quarters tbh  :laugh2:

Ya'll better hurry up then, 'cause the US has out-sold all other countries already.

Argentina will be there. They are still fifth I think? That gives them a playoff spot against some crap team from NA.

Let's say standings don't change, and they play Costa Rica for the spot. The way Argentina is playing, if you know anything at all about Costa Rica, do you see any way that Argentina doesn't get absolutely hammered in Costa Rica at the Sarprissa? That place is a nightmare for road teams (unless they are cohesive and playing well, etc.) The floodgates could really open there if Argentina fall apart like they have been doing. True, CR would have to go to Argentina as well, but CR isn't a bad team and wouldn't crack easily. Either way, at best, I wouldn't expect that to be a walk in the park the way Argentina is playing right now (though obviously, if we are talking about the usual Argentina standard of play, then it would be a stroll for them). Honduras would be easier for the argies, but if somehow they end up with Mexico, Argentina would be in huge trouble having to play at the Azteca.

I watched the full Argentina game this korning and to be frank, they were absolutelty rubbish. Some of Maradona's decisons were mystifying and a 1-0 defeat was a compliment. They did not appear to be organised at all and played Aguero up front on his own with Messi in the whole. Everytime Messi got the ball, he was closed down immediately by two or three paraguayans and subsequently, he went missing for most of the game. I cant understand why Veron gets picked. He is totally non productive and played most of the game on the right of midfield. Also, Maradona recalled Palermo (35) who hadnt played for the national team for 10 years and with the team still 0-1 down with 10 minutes to play, he chose to give a debut to a 36 year old centre back. Very strange indeed.

IMHO, Maradonna is finished and wont be in charge of the national team by the weekend. If he is, then Uruguay will best them in Montevideo to get 5th place off them.

Just saw the highlights from last night, absolutely pissed it. A couple of things that stuck out to me; granted Heskey didn't score (and should have done) but I didn't see the world's greatest goalscorer Jermaine Defoe creating the space and getting on the end of passes in the same way. Heskey is excellent foil for Rooney imo, needs to stay that way. Also, whilst Johnson probably shouldn't have let the cross come in, Terry was utterly woeful for their goal. He gave Eduardo a free header and then dashed to the line rather than staying with his man (which would have given him a chance to clear it). Pure attempt at hollywood defending rather than using common sense.

Just saw the highlights from last night, absolutely pissed it. A couple of things that stuck out to me; granted Heskey didn't score (and should have done) but I didn't see the world's greatest goalscorer Jermaine Defoe creating the space and getting on the end of passes in the same way. Heskey is excellent foil for Rooney imo, needs to stay that way. Also, whilst Johnson probably shouldn't have let the cross come in, Terry was utterly woeful for their goal. He gave Eduardo a free header and then dashed to the line rather than staying with his man (which would have given him a chance to clear it). Pure attempt at hollywood defending rather than using common sense.

Couldn't agree more. Johnson get unfair flak for the goals against Slovenia and Croatia but on both occassions, the centre backs just watched the striker head the ball. Terry was slow against Slovenia and caught ball watching against Croatia.

I hope Argentina finish 6th and don't even get a sniff of a chance to qualify. If they end up beating someone woeful like Honduras in a playoff, i'll be gutted. Everyone wants 'the best teams' in the competition, but Argentina are proving that they're not even close right now. So in conclusion...

Fuck Argentina.

Fuck Diego Maradona, you hand-of-god cheating cunt and

Fuck Leo Messi, you hand-of-god-wannabe cheating cunt.

I think Heskey (along with Barry) is a major reason for the good play of Gerrard and Lampard. They know that the ball is going to stick more up front and so they can gamble to get forward.

I rate Defoe but the team is more important then any individual.

I go with this. I agree with Heskey being in the team, but also think Defoe can be very, very useful. Probably will end up in the team by the end of the World Cup Tournament via injuries/suspensions anyway.

I think Heskey (along with Barry) is a major reason for the good play of Gerrard and Lampard. They know that the ball is going to stick more up front and so they can gamble to get forward.

Yep. The difference Capello has made is that he's finally turned a squad of talented players into a cohesive team. And you still get pundits complaining about the selection when Defoe doesn't start, despite us being the top goalscorers in qualifying. Mental.

The appointment of Maradona just had to be the biggest case of heart-ruling-the-head in football history.

Yep. I have seen Argentina three times in the qualifiers and I have never seen a less organised bunch of superstars in my life. Maradonna has managed to make a potentially wonderful team get consistently bad results. It really is a remarkable achievement from the clueless dwarf.

Argentina will be there. They are still fifth I think? That gives them a playoff spot against some crap team from NA.

True. Would be roflicious if they failed to qualify though.

I'm banking on Portugal to fail, would give me years and years of abuse towards my Portuguese friends + Cronaldo now at Madrid.

Aye, agreed. Biggest mob of diving cheating cry baby cunts I have ever seen on a football pitch.

Couldn't agree more. Johnson get unfair flak for the goals against Slovenia and Croatia but on both occassions, the centre backs just watched the striker head the ball. Terry was slow against Slovenia and caught ball watching against Croatia.

Terry still looks nervous in an England shirt, and ends up making mistakes which he'd never do when playing for his club. There was an instance where Johnson got stick for climbing over Eduardo and risking a penalty, when in fact Terry had failed to pick Eduardo up in the first place.

Yep. The difference Capello has made is that he's finally turned a squad of talented players into a cohesive team. And you still get pundits complaining about the selection when Defoe doesn't start, despite us being the top goalscorers in qualifying. Mental.

This - Capello has crushed the pathetic WAG mentality that was allowed to flourish under Sven and continued under his lightweight successor ; Beckham & Co are not in charge now, Capello is and he has obviously made that very clear from the off...the players are having to perform both individually and collectively, otherwise he drops them.

Whilst its far too early to even dream about winning the WC, at least the team should prove far less of an embarrassment and look less sterile than in previous tournaments over the past 12 years.

On a slightly-related note: the empty seats at Wembley above the players' tunnel boil my f***ing piss.

I never understand why stadiums don't put the majority of the corporate and guest seats away from the half way line/main stand... the people don't care about seeing the match anyway. As long as the bar was luxurious they wouldn't mind sitting behind the goal!