The England Thread

Pilko

Ye need better strikers tbf I've never rated Rooney as highly as the British media and Heskey would be better if he had someone like Owen but Owen is fuckin shite

I don't go over the top when talking about England players but Rooney is absolute top drawer. The vast majority of the rest of the squad is vastly over-rated but he is top notch. 

Thing with Rooney is he's more of a playmaker/striker, when we really need an out and out striker to go to that next level. Rooney will always drop deep & become easier to defend against for the better teams. Just because we have to rely more on our midfielders breaking into the box & thats going to leave space behind them and knacker them more quickly. If we had a shearer next to Rooney we'd be an incredibly good side. But no one else comes close, so its massively on our midfield & they dont tend to make the grade when it matters tbh.

Green

Johnson   Ferdinand   Terry   A Cole

Gerrard   Hargreaves   Lampard   J Cole

Rooney   Heskey

Very much dependant on Hargreaves and Joe Cole showing the type of form demonstrated before injuries. If not i'd replace them with Lennon and Carrick.

That'd be my team, although I might still have Barry ahead of Carrick in terms of backup to Hargreaves. I find it bizarre that people wouldn't pick Heskey still, I've ranted about it a few times on here but he's been essential to the formation that we've played and has got the best out of our best players under Fabs.

Really? ;)

Ye need better strikers tbf I've never rated Rooney as highly as the British media and Heskey would be better if he had someone like Owen but Owen is fuckin shite

I don't go over the top when talking about England players but Rooney is absolute top drawer. The vast majority of the rest of the squad is vastly over-rated but he is top notch. 

Still not sure what it is about Rooney for me. I do think he is class, but there's something not there for me with him. As I've mentioned before that spark is no longer there.

Green

Johnson   Ferdinand   Terry   A Cole

Gerrard   Hargreaves   Lampard   J Cole

Rooney   Heskey

Very much dependant on Hargreaves and Joe Cole showing the type of form demonstrated before injuries. If not i'd replace them with Lennon and Carrick.

That'd be my team, although I might still have Barry ahead of Carrick in terms of backup to Hargreaves. I find it bizarre that people wouldn't pick Heskey still, I've ranted about it a few times on here but he's been essential to the formation that we've played and has got the best out of our best players under Fabs.

I'd definitely have Barry instead of Hargreaves. The man in the anchor position gets a lot of the ball and he has to be able to use it properly.

That's not a bad team, but we're back to Gerrard and Lampard in midfield. It's worked recently because Gerrard has in practice been pushed forward into a 4-3-2-1, but there are problems if they're together in a 4-4-2. That midfield lacks a bit of pace.

I'd like to see Joe Cole back in the team, and I'd try him in Gerrard's role, push Gerrard into Lampard's role, and drop Lampard. We need the pace of SWP / Lennon / Walcott out wide.

Ye need better strikers tbf I've never rated Rooney as highly as the British media and Heskey would be better if he had someone like Owen but Owen is fuckin s****

On occaison. When he's good, HE'S GOOD. When he's poor, he's not so good. He has games where he just hits shots from a ridiciulous distance and it's blocked by a defender every time. It's so frustrating when you know he has the talent.

Ye need better strikers tbf I've never rated Rooney as highly as the British media and Heskey would be better if he had someone like Owen but Owen is fuckin s****

On occaison. When he's good, HE'S GOOD. When he's poor, he's not so good. He has games where he just hits shots from a ridiciulous distance and it's blocked by a defender every time. It's so frustrating when you know he has the talent.

Amazing how he doesn't seem to have games like that when Heskey is there...(just for you 2j's)

Amazing how he doesn't seem to have games like that when Heskey is there...(just for you 2j's)

:booze:

Still not sure what it is about Rooney for me. I do think he is class, but there's something not there for me with him. As I've mentioned before that spark is no longer there.

Aye, that's it for me as well. At first, there was something in his eye, you could just tell he was a class apart from everyone else. Now - I dunno whether it's because he's unhappy or what, but he's just not as good as he was.

When was the last time our 'tournament-winners' actually played to their full standard? If we had Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard - and the likes of Joe Cole too if he was fit - playing at 100% in every game we'd have a fantatic chance. But seriously i mean... 06 we were just garbage aside from an exciting first half against Paraguay... 04 actually showed a bit of promise but the midfield relied on Scholes and he wasn't playing at the top of his game anymore (plus Becks was a bit of a disappointment)... 02 i can't really remember but we had some right cloggers playing every game, Mills and Sinclair spring to mind. 00 we were all over the shop and i can't say i really remember as far back as 98 that well.

The point is - every tournament it's churned out that 'this is the best chance we've got of winning something', when it really just hasn't been the case. I'd say next year genuinely actually is.

When was the last time our 'tournament-winners' actually played to their full standard? If we had Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard - and the likes of Joe Cole too if he was fit - playing at 100% in every game we'd have a fantatic chance. But seriously i mean... 06 we were just garbage aside from an exciting first half against Paraguay... 04 actually showed a bit of promise but the midfield relied on Scholes and he wasn't playing at the top of his game anymore (plus Becks was a bit of a disappointment)... 02 i can't really remember but we had some right cloggers playing every game, Mills and Sinclair spring to mind. 00 we were all over the shop and i can't say i really remember as far back as 98 that well.

The point is - every tournament it's churned out that 'this is the best chance we've got of winning something', when it really just hasn't been the case. I'd say next year genuinely actually is.

Germany away in 2001, and even that was becasue they were shit, rather than we were good.

Beckham's always been poor in the major tournaments and we've never looked a particularly exciting team. Rooney was brilliant in '04, other than that it's been the odd good performance here and there, for instance Hargreaves in '06. '96 was quality but that's a fair old time back now and the home nation always does better than you might expect. This is the first time in ages that we've actually looked like a proper team imo.

Beckham will potentially be at his most ever effective at a tournament for us next year - cos he'll be a bit-part player (you'd think, surely...). 2006 he just looked knackered every game and it was blatantly obvious he wasn't up to being a regular any more.

Hargreaves vs Portugal was one the best one man performances I've ever seen. He's was everywhere and the only England player capable of scoring his penalty. Will always love the guy for that game, real shame that  he's hardly played since.

Hargreaves was indeed excellent in 06. He went in hated by all quarters, and came out as one of about three players who could hold their heads up and were praised by the media.

Hargreaves vs Portugal was one the best one man performances I've ever seen. He's was everywhere and the only England player capable of scoring his penalty. Will always love the guy for that game, real that shame he's hardly played since.

Exactly the reasons I love the guy. It was an awesome performance. Just hope he can get back to that level for SA. It's a long shot but he's better than most of the other dross in the squad.

The selection of strikers in 06 was horrible though, truly awful. A barely fit Owen, an out of form Rooney, the totally inexperienced Walcott and Peter Crouch (fine). We even ended up using Joe Cole as a striker, I think.