The England Thread

Pilko

Lost interest in England once Shearer retired, as dumb as that sounds. I know its my Country's National Team, but I just can't associate with it. I have no real idea why, other than I don't really like the players representing my Country. Its totally daft. The only thing that would get me interested/excited in England would be a player that I liked.

I mean, I watch every performance, but I never feel any connection or excitment watching them at all. I think Euro96 will be the biggest connection I'll ever feel to an England team. Just don't see the real desire or passion that the Euro96 team had, that the current players have. They say they care, but you rarely see it. Rarely feel it, watching the teams from the last 10 years or so.

Couldn't agree more. Am absolutely lambasted by friends/family for it though.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Lost interest in England once Shearer retired, as dumb as that sounds. I know its my Country's National Team, but I just can't associate with it. I have no real idea why, other than I don't really like the players representing my Country. Its totally daft. The only thing that would get me interested/excited in England would be a player that I liked.

I mean, I watch every performance, but I never feel any connection or excitment watching them at all. I think Euro96 will be the biggest connection I'll ever feel to an England team. Just don't see the real desire or passion that the Euro96 team had, that the current players have. They say they care, but you rarely see it. Rarely feel it, watching the teams from the last 10 years or so.

Couldn't agree more. Am absolutely lambasted by friends/family for it though.

Is this what it's like, when two doves cry? But aye, its madness. I get the same stick. "BUT ITS ENGLAND, MAN!". Yeah, it might be England, the same England team you don't care about at all until the World Cup finals start, but I just have no connection to it. I was never a huge Beckham fan, but the last few years you can clearly see playing for England means everything to him. I'm not sure if its because his career is near an end, of if he really cares, but you can at least see he cares.

He shows the emotions, he shows the passion. He showed more desire and determination sitting on the bench in a nonplaying capacity than any player on the field.

I'm not asking for chest thumping Steven Taylor-esque displays of 'commitment' and 'desire', just your normal everyday man 'I'm playing for my Nation Pride'. That North Korean who weeped during his team's national anthem is the highlight of the World Cup for me. You could see what it meant to him - OK, so he might have been crying out of fear of being slaughtered returning home a failure (jokes to one side), but I honestly believed it meant the world the him to hear his Nation's Anthem, to see his Nation's flag, to be a part of his Nation's team at a World Cup.

Then you look at our team. You can barely get three of them to even mumble their way through the National Anthem. OK, its a terrible National Anthem, and if I'm honest I barely know it outside of the 'TV Version'. But I'd damn sure learn it and sing it knowing there was a whole world watching me. I'm not sure how they get away with it, when you've got Stuart Pearce sitting a few yards away bellowing it out.

At the moment all I can see in the England team is 'Superstar XI', and not an 'England XI'.

Good article, that.

I guess you couldn't battle against the name of Wembley, but you should have kept NT games on the road like we do it in Spain. It works wonders to bring the team and raise support around the country and prevents it from becoming "Madrid's NT".

Totally agree. The buzz in the NE when England played at SJP back in 2002/2003 was fantastic. The whole of Newcastle was excited!

Guest Chubby Jason

The Wembley crowd is a pantomime audience, they are dreadful. I much preferred it when we played at St. James' and Old Trafford and alike, it gave everyone a chance to see England play too. 

Guest neesy111

Was thinking of watching this in 3D in town. The sky website says Union Rooms has 3D, anyone ever been there for it? If so, do you have to pay extra to get in and watch it in 3D?

You need to put down a £2 deposit for the glasses.  Wasn't worth it, I hate the viewing angle of 3D.

Guest Hardy_Bucks

The Wembley crowd is a pantomime audience, they are dreadful. I much preferred it when we played at St. James' and Old Trafford and alike, it gave everyone a chance to see England play too. 

Thought the guy with the Capello out banner was pretty pathetic, it amazes me how much English fans and press in particular go from one extreme to the other. England have good steady team, but thats it, not world class but not terrible.

The FA and people running the game in England are the real problem.

Guest Chubby Jason

Thought the guy with the Capello out banner was pretty pathetic, it amazes me how much English fans and press in particular go from one extreme to the other. England have good steady team, but thats it, not world class but not terrible.

The FA and people running the game in England are the real problem.

The press have a lot to answer for also, the Capello "Jackass" headline in the Sun with fucking donkey ears on the man was beyond the pale, utterly pathetic.

I love England and will support them regardless, I'm personally proud to have a manager like Fabio Capello and I know a lot of other England fans who share the same opinion, not that any of that public opinion will be reported by our shameful media.

The knives will be sharpening for the aftermath of this match already. The Swiss are a good well organised very defensive team (Hitzfeld > Capello). I would predict a 0-0 draw here which will be portrayed as total failure.

Guest Chubby Jason

Hart, G Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, A Cole, Walcott, Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Rooney, Defoe. Substitutes: Foster, Gibbs, Cahill, Carrick, A Johnson, Wright-Phillips, Bent.

Sounds good enough to me, I hope the centre-backs play well and make a case for starting more games in the future as Ferdinand and Terry are both on the outs.

Switzerland: Benaglio, Lichtsteiner, Grichting, Von Bergen, Ziegler, Margairaz, Inler, Schwegler, Degen, Derdiyok, Frei.

Subs: Wolfli, Affolter, Streller, Padalino, Fernandes, Costanzo, Shaqiri.

England: Hart, Glen Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, Ashley Cole, Walcott, Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Defoe, Rooney.

Subs: Foster, Gibbs, Cahill, Carrick, Adam Johnson, Wright-Phillips, Bent.

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)

Thought Benaglio wasn't playing due to becoming a dad.

Good article, that.

I guess you couldn't battle against the name of Wembley, but you should have kept NT games on the road like we do it in Spain. It works wonders to bring the team and raise support around the country and prevents it from becoming "Madrid's NT".

Pretty sure 80% of games were at Old Trafford when that happened though. In principle I agree if it actually moves around the country and gives all areas a few games. I do like the idea of having a national stadium though, and Wembley is probably the most famous ground in the world.

Who's that Joey?

I'll be listening in for a bit on 5Live. Gone off the national side after the WC. Am sure I'm not alone in that. Good piece that Mirror article, btw.

Scott Sutter. Spurs fan playing for Young Boys and eligible to play for Switzerland. SSN have been running his interviews all weekend

Good article, that.

Pretty sure 80% of games were at Old Trafford when that happened though. In principle I agree if it actually moves around the country and gives all areas a few games. I do like the idea of having a national stadium though, and Wembley is probably the most famous ground in the world.

Shame it cost so much so that every game has to be played there though. Some of the poorer games against the shite teams should still go round the regions with Wembley hosting the glamour ties IMO. No doubt all of team GBs games in the Olympics will be at Wembley n all.

Hart, G Johnson, Jagielka, Lescott, A Cole, Walcott, Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Rooney, Defoe. Substitutes: Foster, Gibbs, Cahill, Carrick, A Johnson, Wright-Phillips, Bent.

I thought that was Andy Johnson at first  :kasper: :lol:

Good article, that.

Shame it cost so much so that every game has to be played there though. Some of the poorer games against the shite teams should still go round the regions with Wembley hosting the glamour ties IMO. No doubt all of team GBs games in the Olympics will be at Wembley n all.

Definitely the problem, if they'd managed to build it for a normal cost it would be great to have moved a few games around, even if it is just the shit ones. Shame the U21s don't get a better attendance, they play everywhere.

Who's that Joey?

I'll be listening in for a bit on 5Live. Gone off the national side after the WC. Am sure I'm not alone in that. Good piece that Mirror article, btw.

Scott Sutter. Spurs fan playing for Young Boys and eligible to play for Switzerland. SSN have been running his interviews all weekend

His first cap was just the other day against Australia, I think their defense is pretty set as well.