The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Stephen927

I don't think there's much of a decision to be made regarding taking him or not. We don't have many good options upfront.  He'll go, we'll scrape through the group stages, after which all hopes will be placed on him to then lead the charge to the final. He'll fail to perform again, England will be knocked out in the quarters, and the media will focus on Capello choosing to take a striker who was banned for 3 games, which they feel negatively impacted morale in the camp.

I don't think there's much of a decision to be made regarding taking him or not. We don't have many good options upfront.  He'll go, we'll scrape through the group stages, after which all hopes will be placed on him to then lead the charge to the final. He'll fail to perform again, England will be knocked out in the quarters, and the media will focus on Capello choosing to take a striker who was banned for 3 games, which they feel negatively impacted morale in the camp.

I think we have a winner.

Either that or he doesn't go, you're knocked out in the quarters and the media says it's Capello's fault for not bringing a world-class striker to the knockout stages.

No matter what there's only one winner; Redknapp.

I think we have a winner.

:sadnod:

What? Because the European Championships are only a 6 game tournament, it shouldn't be a lengthy 3 game ban, according to Tony Cottee. I'm actually getting angry right now, I'm on fucking Phil Thompson's side, and Stelling's Devil's advocate is pissing me off, too.

Capello drops Rooney hint

Fabio Capello has dropped a clear hint that England striker Wayne Rooney will be going to next summer's Euro 2012 finals.

England boss Capello has not spoken about Rooney since the Manchester United striker was handed a three-match ban by Uefa for his red card in Montenegro earlier this month.

As it stands Rooney will be ruled out of the entire group stage of the competition in Poland and Ukraine unless the Football Association launches an appeal against the sanction.

Despite the possibility that Rooney might not even get the chance to play in the finals if England fail to progress from the group stages, Capello is planning to include the 25-year-old in his squad.

Speaking at a Club Wembley breakfast hosted at Wembley, Capello indicated Rooney would be part of his plans as part of an observation about the balance of younger players and older ones in his squad.

"The young players are really good and ready to play with the seniors, and the experience of the seniors is really important," said Capello.

Leaders

"During the games we need some leaders, people that know something.

"Jack Wilshere is incredible because he is so young. We also need the experience of John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Scott Parker.

"You need this kind of player, plus Rooney, I hope."

Capello highlighted the emergence of the likes of Phil Jones, Danny Welbeck and Daniel Sturridge as positives for the future and the Italian believes the overall balance of his squad is far better than when he took charge almost four years ago.

"I am happy with my players," added Capello. "I have a lot of confidence in them.

"There are not many young players in the world who are better than the English ones.

"But you need to wait until the end of the season to understand if they are at the top and ready to play with the seniors.

"We had a gap between the oldest and the young. Now, with people like Wilshere, Jones, (Danny) Welbeck, (Daniel) Sturridge - it's really interesting.

"It will be a really good team for the next Euros."

There has been a lot of focus on England's training preparations for the finals after their preparation for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa was widely criticised.

Capello is keen for his players to be refreshed ahead of Euro 2012 and plans to bring the squad together 10 days before next summer's finals rather than the 20 days he used in South Africa.

"The players arrived at the World Cup really tired," noted Capello.

"In the friendly games before we went to South Africa, we won but did not play well, like the games we played to qualify.

"The players were not so fast, not so good. We need to change something at the end of the season to prepare for the Euros.

"I will stay with the players 10 days before the Euros start."

Relaxed

Capello is happy there is a decent gap between the end of the Premier League season and the start of Euro 2012 and he is confident his side will be competitive in Poland and Ukraine if they arrive fit and relaxed.

There is a three-week gap between the Champions League final in Munich on 19th May and the opening game of the European Championship on 8th June almost four from the final game of the Premier League season on 13th May.

"It's really important the players relax after the season because the season here in England is really strong," continued Capello.

"This year will be stronger than last because there will be a competition between five or six teams to qualify for the Champions League.

"Also, I hope some teams all play in the Champions League final and the other Uefa competition. But if we arrive fresh and fit we will be competitive."

Source: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7251029,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed_Football_twitter&utm_medium=twitter

Capello would be making a mistake if he takes Rooney imo.

Capello drops Rooney hint

Fabio Capello has dropped a clear hint that England striker Wayne Rooney will be going to next summer's Euro 2012 finals.

England boss Capello has not spoken about Rooney since the Manchester United striker was handed a three-match ban by Uefa for his red card in Montenegro earlier this month.

As it stands Rooney will be ruled out of the entire group stage of the competition in Poland and Ukraine unless the Football Association launches an appeal against the sanction.

Despite the possibility that Rooney might not even get the chance to play in the finals if England fail to progress from the group stages, Capello is planning to include the 25-year-old in his squad.

Speaking at a Club Wembley breakfast hosted at Wembley, Capello indicated Rooney would be part of his plans as part of an observation about the balance of younger players and older ones in his squad.

"The young players are really good and ready to play with the seniors, and the experience of the seniors is really important," said Capello.

Leaders

"During the games we need some leaders, people that know something.

"Jack Wilshere is incredible because he is so young. We also need the experience of John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Scott Parker.

"You need this kind of player, plus Rooney, I hope."

Capello highlighted the emergence of the likes of Phil Jones, Danny Welbeck and Daniel Sturridge as positives for the future and the Italian believes the overall balance of his squad is far better than when he took charge almost four years ago.

"I am happy with my players," added Capello. "I have a lot of confidence in them.

"There are not many young players in the world who are better than the English ones.

"But you need to wait until the end of the season to understand if they are at the top and ready to play with the seniors.

"We had a gap between the oldest and the young. Now, with people like Wilshere, Jones, (Danny) Welbeck, (Daniel) Sturridge - it's really interesting.

"It will be a really good team for the next Euros."

There has been a lot of focus on England's training preparations for the finals after their preparation for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa was widely criticised.

Capello is keen for his players to be refreshed ahead of Euro 2012 and plans to bring the squad together 10 days before next summer's finals rather than the 20 days he used in South Africa.

"The players arrived at the World Cup really tired," noted Capello.

"In the friendly games before we went to South Africa, we won but did not play well, like the games we played to qualify.

"The players were not so fast, not so good. We need to change something at the end of the season to prepare for the Euros.

"I will stay with the players 10 days before the Euros start."

Relaxed

Capello is happy there is a decent gap between the end of the Premier League season and the start of Euro 2012 and he is confident his side will be competitive in Poland and Ukraine if they arrive fit and relaxed.

There is a three-week gap between the Champions League final in Munich on 19th May and the opening game of the European Championship on 8th June almost four from the final game of the Premier League season on 13th May.

"It's really important the players relax after the season because the season here in England is really strong," continued Capello.

"This year will be stronger than last because there will be a competition between five or six teams to qualify for the Champions League.

"Also, I hope some teams all play in the Champions League final and the other Uefa competition. But if we arrive fresh and fit we will be competitive."

Source: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_7251029,00.html?utm_source=twitterfeed_Football_twitter&utm_medium=twitter

Capello would be making a mistake if he takes Rooney imo.

really think your best bet is to bring him, he is by far your best player and if your serious about winning it you'll need him for the knockout stage (should you get a kind group)

But then there's the argument that if the system in place (for when Rooney is out) does well, is it really justified to put Rooney straight back into the side? :undecided:

put it this way, lets say you have germany in qf, would you or would you not want Rooney who would be chomping at the bit to get out there and play in the squad or someone like Defoe or Crouch who can be described as ok at best

God, Capello is just such a dull man.

He doesn't give a fuck, not that I blame him like as neither would I if this was my last job as a foreigner getting paid a frankly ridiculous wage.

---

I'd take Rooney, just take 2 keepers instead, no whinging.

But then there's the argument that if the system in place (for when Rooney is out) does well, is it really justified to put Rooney straight back into the side? :undecided:

put it this way, lets say you have germany in qf, would you or would you not want Rooney who would be chomping at the bit to get out there and play in the squad or someone like Defoe or Crouch who can be described as ok at best

Rooney no doubt but if the likes of Welbeck, Sturridge etc. step it up and actually excel in the "Rooney role", then it would be harsh to drop them. There's also Rooney's history with international tournaments, he has always underpeformed in all the ones he's participated in.

He doesn't give a fuck, not that I blame him like as neither would I if this was my last job as a foreigner getting paid a frankly ridiculous wage.

---

you can't actually, its rule you must take 3 keepers

---

you can't actually, its rule you must take 3 keepers

Didn't know that, daft rule. I'd probably still take him, the other options are such a different level it's untrue. Yes Welbeck and Sturridge have probably improved but did no-one watch the under 21s last season, I'd be amazed if either came good in the summer to the level that would be required (I'd still take both though).

Rooney no doubt but if the likes of Welbeck, Sturridge etc. step it up and actually excel in the "Rooney role", then it would be harsh to drop them. There's also Rooney's history with international tournaments, he has always underpeformed in all the ones he's participated in.

but to not even have the option of Rooney on the bench?

but to not even have the option of Rooney on the bench?

Now that you've put it that way, yeah I'd definitely have Rooney on the bench. Like you've said, it depends on the group. If it's a group of death situation then the decision to take Rooney might be in vain.

It also depends on what happens between now and June (as in which players are performing well) and what Capello decides to do system-wise.

Tbh, Capello is leaving after this, he'll only be interested in going the whole way. He may as well gamble and take him, have no chance without him, and an outside chance with him.

Wouldnt' take Rooney in a million years. If we get through to the last 16/quarters it'll be cause he isn't playing. And what does that say to the people filling in? Hypocrisy

Do you think Ben Arfa or Santon should feature v Wigan or Blackburn?