The England Thread

Pilko

Not sure what oxlaide chamberlain has done to deserve an england call up tbh, injured a lot, only played now and then by Wenger and doesn't look very good imo. Still has time on his side to realise his potential but Arsenal should have loaned him out by now imo.

Sterling is better than Ox IMO.

Agreed I think Ox will end up playing more centrally as his career progresses. I have to say I wasn't to sure about Stirling but he has impressed me over the last couple of months.

The Ox is a class above Sterling, and I can see him, Barkley and Wilshere forming the axis of a very good midfield in years to come. To me, he has the lot - strength, pace and skill - and he's developing with experience.

Barry's lack of pace is a worry, but half the job of the midfield is to defend and at the moment, the balance doesn't look right and teams are going right through us down the centre. Barry can also pass the ball reasonably well so from the creative point of view, he can still support attacks.

I've always been a fan of Gerrard, but I watched the Villa game and there were one or two signs of him being off the pace. Hopefully it was just a bad day at the office, because we'll need his experience.

If we had 2016 in mind, we should have  gone with younger lads from the qualifying phase.

We didn't. So we should go with the Gerrard +1 we have had during qualification.

Yes, we should have done this a long time ago. Or at least when owld Dykey announced what our "expectations" were for the upcoming

tournaments. But just because we didn't do it back then, doesn't mean we shouldn't start now.

IMO you can throw one straight into the deep end. But when it's 2/3 they need some time to adapt to international football. Some of these lads haven't even played European football let alone the world cup

On current form Henderson should be in the squad too. Certainly before certain Manchester United no. 23s.

Should be nailed on for me to be in the squad. Having an excellent season.

Carrick/Barry are pathetic options, can't believe that's the best we have to offer and no real sign of a top DM coming through either.

I don't really see the point of using international tournaments to develop players. I would just pick whoever is doing best in the run-up. Who cares if Baines isn't going to play next time around? Just pick someone else then. The PL is good enough to prepare people for international football IMO.

Cole is better than Baines, imo. Cole has arguably been England's most consistent player in major tournaments. Always seems to be one of a few who walk away with any sort of credit.

Agree that in major tournaments, your best players should be getting played if they are 33 or 19 however. Age shouldn’t matter when it comes to the starting 11.

This is massively true. Not sure about him being better than Baines, though, but it's close.

I don't really see the point of using international tournaments to develop players. I would just pick whoever is doing best in the run-up. Who cares if Baines isn't going to play next time around? Just pick someone else then. The PL is good enough to prepare people for international football IMO.

Cole is better than Baines, imo. Cole has arguably been England's most consistent player in major tournaments. Always seems to be one of a few who walk away with any sort of credit.

Agree that in major tournaments, your best players should be getting played if they are 33 or 19 however. Age shouldn’t matter when it comes to the starting 11.

This is massively true. Not sure about him being better than Baines, though, but it's close.

I'd probably have to say it's close now Cole is out of favour at Chelsea as i've always believed if you're not playing week in week out for your club, you shouldn't be starting for the national team. I may have to make an exception for Cole though as i do rate him so highly and it's a bit of farce he's been frozen out by Jose.

On current form Henderson should be in the squad too. Certainly before certain Manchester United no. 23s.

Carrick/Barry are pathetic options, can't believe that's the best we have to offer and no real sign of a top DM coming through either.

Carrick/Barry are pathetic options, yet Henderson has been excellent? :lol:

Barry's having a very good season. Doesn't mean he's actually cut out for top level international football because he's not. Neither is Henderson.

Barry's having a very good season. Doesn't mean he's actually cut out for top level international football because he's not. Neither is Henderson.

We have to pick someone mind.

Barry is having a good season but he's also 32  :lol:

I'd much rather be taking an energetic 23 year old who is improving as the months go by. Neither will be in the starting 11 so i'd rather take the younger player with a much brighter future.

Barry/Carrick are probably still the best two DM's we have but neither are great even in their peak and there's no bright prospect coming through looking to dethrone them. Box to box midfielders like Henderson/Wilshere won't be to handle such a role at the standard major tournaments are played at. We've tried Gerrard there and he fails too.

Huddlestone was the one had the talent at a young age and looking promising but he fucked it all up really. If it was injuries/attitude/ambition that prevented him from reaching his potential i'm not so sure but i really thought he was the one who could have made that position his own. Or maybe i just overestimated his ability and this is basically the best ir could have got for him.

We know what Barry can do at International level but whilst Henderson flattered to deceive last time of asking, he has come on leaps and bounds this season and I feel he us worthy of another go.

I'm not saying Henderson shouldn't go. He is also symptomatic of how weak we are, but at least he has time to improve and indeed has improved in the past 6 months.

But to label Barry and Carrick pathetic options for midfield while Henderson 'excellent' is very wide of the mark.

I'm not saying Henderson shouldn't go. He is also symptomatic of how weak we are, but at least he has time to improve and indeed has improved in the past 6 months.

But to label Barry and Carrick pathetic options for midfield while Henderson 'excellent' is very wide of the mark.

I agree with you.  That said, I wouldn't pick either at this moment in time.

I didn't say he was excellent :lol:

I said he was having an excellent season, which he has. He's been prominent in Liverpool's form providing lots of energy from midfield and linked up well with the forwards and has made a big contribution to the side.

For me a choice of two 32 year old DM's who are past their best and were never great anyways is pathetic for a nation of our standard.

But you've said he should be nailed on for the side, while Carrick/Barry would be pathetic options. The difference between likelihoods of them going isn't as massive as you think. Nor should it be, as Henderson hasn't shown enough to deserve to be a nailed-on option. I think he should be seriously considered, but hardly nailed-on.

In terms of your rating of Carrick and Barry, I'm not saying I'd want either to go. I don't think we'll disagree in saying we've got an alarming lack of options, but that's something that's been abundantly clear for years now and will be until we take a long-term approach to the national side.

But you've said he should be nailed on for the side, while Carrick/Barry would be pathetic options. The difference between likelihoods of them going isn't as massive as you think. Nor should it be, as Henderson hasn't shown enough to deserve to be a nailed-on option. I think he should be seriously considered, but hardly nailed-on.

In terms of your rating of Carrick and Barry, I'm not saying I'd want either to go. I don't think we'll disagree in saying we've got an alarming lack of options, but that's something that's been abundantly clear for years now and will be until we take a long-term approach to the national side.

Personally i think at 23 and the form Henderson is showing i think he should be nailed on to go.  I wouldn't have him in the starting 11 but he's an option i'd rather have certainly over Barry from the bench. Carrick is probably the most likely to start and he's been the worst of the bunch this season. I'll be surprised if we try and play Gerrard in that deep role giving his past failings and Villa on Saturday showed just how weak he is in that position.

By saying they are pathetic options didn't mean i wouldn't take them. Carrick should be nailed on too and probably starting but i'm not a big fan of his. Although i've been impressed with how Barry has done since joining Everton, he wouldn't cross my mind for a recall, his time has been and gone.

Recalling Gareth Barry for the WC would be such an England thing to do.

I think his so called renaissance,  and to be fair he has had a good season thus far, is more down to the quality of the Premier League or lack of it than anything else. I always harp on about previous eras when discussing England,  and there ain't many that I can think of where Gareth Barry would've been a permanent squad choice. To me he's not much more than a run of the mill player.

Recalling Gareth Barry for the WC would be such an England thing to do.

I think his so called renaissance,  and to be fair he has had a good season thus far, is more down to the quality of the Premier League or lack of it than anything else. I always harp on about previous eras when discussing England,  and there ain't many that I can think of where Gareth Barry would've been a permanent squad choice. To me he's not much more than a run of the mill player.

Totally agree, with particular emphasis on the lack of quality of the Premier League that are English.