The England Thread

Pilko

England with very little penetration. When they have managed to break behind the German line, Germany have recovered very well. Every attack we have now there are 6 Germans between our forwards and the goal. We've got decent players, just no magic to open up organised sides like this.

He just does nothing.

Still better than Welbeck.

In the premiership, yes. For England, not a chance.

How many games has he started for England?  :lol:

At a guess probably half as many as Wellbeck. What's that got to do with anything?

What's his strike rate compared to Wellbeck?

England miss Wellbeck because he keeps the ball so much better than Sturridge.

Guest neesy111

England really need to start playing more away friendlies.

There's no money in that, it's all about Wembley.

I know that, just playing at home all the time in build up for a tournament isn't healthy.

Guest neesy111

Like Brazil and Sweden?

We still play majority of them at home.

He just does nothing.

At a guess probably half as many as Wellbeck. What's that got to do with anything?

Hes currently joint top goalscorer in the premier league. Hes started 3/4 games for England & you're ready to give up on his England career.  :lol:

Hes the best chance we've had at an efficient young English striker since Rooney. Id give him some time like

Guest neesy111

He just does nothing.

Hes currently joint top goalscorer in the premier league. Hes started 3/4 games for England & you're ready to give up on his England career.  :lol:

Hes the best chance we've had at an efficient young English striker since Rooney. Id give him some time like

:thup:

Like Brazil and Sweden?

We still play majority of them at home.

I don't think it's unusual, the other nations in and around us in terms of ability and FIFA ranking will do the same.

Guest neesy111

We can only field a side with "good" players at best.  We don't have anyone like Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo who both take the game by the scruff of the neck like they did tonight.

At one point we had Cleverley and Henderson as our centre mids ffs.

Rooney really should of been that player for us.

We can only field a side with "good" players at best.  We don't have anyone like Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo who both take the game by the scruff of the neck like they did tonight.

Haven't for years but at the same time the level of "good players" was a lot higher. Campbell, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard etc.

Haven't for years but at the same time the level of "good players" was a lot higher. Campbell, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard etc.

Absolutely.

Rooney really should of been that player for us.

Euro 2004 he looked like he would be.  Was quiet during the 2006 WC then got himself sent off and has never recovered.

He just does nothing.

I'm not giving up on him at all, but I'd pick Wellbeck ahead of him because England play better with him.

For the record, I think he's quality, but unless he wears a Liverpool shirt under that England shirt he'll not perform to his full potential. Same as Gerrard for the last 108 odd games.

I'd play Sturridge and Welbeck

I'd reserve Welbeck for where we're underdogs. Wasted position otherwise.

England have some kind of weird ghost in the machine, which will always push the ball out wide to be crossed into the box even if

a) they have Sturridge competing aerially against the likes of Mertesakcer

b) there's barely anyone in the box

They're convinced a Shearer or a Carroll will materialise from the ether and give opposition centre-backs some competition for a ball put into a dangerous area, but it's just not going to happen.

They need more people committed from midfield when they're on the front foot for sure. I think Rooney should play deeper (mainly because there are no other natural players who can convincingly drive forward from central midfield) and have Sturridge up front with a Lambert type player.

I'd play Sturridge and Welbeck

England have some kind of weird ghost in the machine, which will always push the ball out wide to be crossed into the box even if

a) they have Sturridge competing aerially against the likes of Mertesakcer

b) there's barely anyone in the box

They're convinced a Shearer or a Carroll will materialise from the ether and give opposition centre-backs some competition for a ball put into a dangerous area, but it's just not going to happen.

Sounds eerily familiar.