The England Thread

Pilko

Cronky's just a prize WUM.

He's good at it. I'll give him that.

We have a lot of Wum's in our fanbase if that were the case. Still cant get my head around there being people on here who couldnt understand why any of us had wanted to lose recently. Even when its explained over & over & over.

And we have a lot of people who either can't or won't read posts properly.

In the Bayern game, AOC's side were really up against it and finding it difficult to get a foothold in the game. AOC seemed energised by the challenge and actually showed leadership, taking the initiative to make things happen whilst his team mates were struggling. I can't see Sterling doing that, in that particular situation. Even if he had the will, I don't think he has the ability.

In the second part, I gave a number of reasons why it's more difficult for a player to perform in an international tournament than for their club side. It's not just about it being a 'big game'.

Just setting the record straight, which I daresay is a waste of time, but hey ho.

Is Gerrard really the best holding midfielder you've got?

Why play with a holding midfielder? It's pointless in international football in 2014. Gerrard's the best option to sit deep and concentrate on playing the better pass.

Since when did Alonso, Mascherano and Busquets become obsolete in international football? England doesn't have too many options in that particular position, I'll give you that, but I kind of like Huddlestone >_>

Why play with a holding midfielder? It's pointless in international football in 2014. Gerrard's the best option to sit deep and concentrate on playing the

Since when did Alonso, Mascherano and Busquets become obsolete in international football? England doesn't have too many options in that particular position, I'll give you that, but I kind of like Huddlestone >_>

better pass.

Alonso's far, far more than a holding midfielder. I've no idea what Macherano is like for Argentina and frankly I couldn't care less. Even with Messi they'll fail to make an impact, yet again.

Why play with a holding midfielder? It's pointless in international football in 2014. Gerrard's the best option to sit deep and concentrate on playing the better pass.

Only Mascherano is a pure DM. Busquets and Alonso are passers first and foremost - like Gerrard. Gerrard lacks their positional sense however.

Gerrard's leadership and experience earns him the holding spot and armband and literally a spot until someone else is too good to not play.

Nobody out there right now who can do all that he does for His sides IMO.

Gerrard's leadership and experience earns him the holding spot and armband and literally a spot until someone else is too good to not play.

Pirlo man.

Hart

Johnson.  Cahill.  Jagielka.  Baines

Gerrard

Henderson.    Lallana

Sterling.    Sturridge  Rooney

That team would be spot on if if Rooeny and Sturridge were switched.  :idiot2:

Pirlo man.

Meant for England....

Yeah England really loses nothing by playing Gerrard as a deep-lying central midfielder. Henderson can be the workhorse if need be.

The alternative is playing a pure DM, the best of whom is Carrick. But he's not had a great season and playing him takes one of Henderson, Lallana, or Sterling out of the XI. All of whom have had great seasons.

Hart

Johnson  Cahill  Jagielka  Shaw

Gerrard  Wilshere

Sterling        Rooney        Lallana

Sturridge 

Wilshere would be the best fit alongside Gerrard imo, he needs to have someone mobile next to him and I'm not completely sold on Henderson/Barkley yet. Toss up between Baines and Shaw at left back.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

I'm all for playing as many Liverpool players as we can, in the Liverpool system. f*** it wear the red kit for every game too.

Suarez too?  :whistle:

Only Mascherano is a pure DM. Busquets and Alonso are passers first and foremost - like Gerrard. Gerrard lacks their positional sense however.

What do you mean by a passer? Alonso and Busquets are two very different type of midfielders. Busquets is a player that makes it tick, but he's nowhere near a sitting playmaker a la Alonso or Gerrard at this stage.

What do you mean by a passer? Alonso and Busquets are two very different type of midfielders. Busquets is a player that makes it tick, but he's nowhere near a sitting playmaker a la Alonso or Gerrard at this stage.

I would disagree. While he doesn't switch play or attempt to launch a counter with a long diagonal he's definitely a passer first and foremost. Playmaker? Not really, he plays with Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas. 

What puts Busquets over the top is his technique and speed of passing. 3 touches max. and he's turned and passed it forward, perfectly weighted. Defensively, Javi Martinez (who is probably a better all-round player) and even Mascherano are better due to being more mobile but Busquets is a smoother passer. 

I would disagree. While he doesn't switch play or attempt to launch a counter with a long diagonal he's definitely a passer first and foremost. Playmaker? Not really, he plays with Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas. 

What puts Busquets over the top is his technique and speed of passing. 3 touches max. and he's turned and passed it forward, perfectly weighted. Defensively, Javi Martinez (who is probably a better all-round player) and even Mascherano are better due to being more mobile but Busquets is a smoother passer. 

Oh I agree with you with what you said. I was just wondering if you were putting both of them in the same bracket. By saying he's a player that makes it tick I meant that he plays a fast football and is the heart of that team. For me Busquets is easily the best DM around, everything he does he does well.

Mascherano is usually a DM for Argentina playing alongside Gago and Di Maria with Messi having a free role behind Higuain and Aguero.

Shame their back 4 is terrible.

Their back four is absolute horse-shit :lol: It's a really unbalanced team, but any team with a striking force like that can win a World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...