The England Thread

Pilko

I hope Wilshere isn't near the starting eleven. He's good, but nowhere near the hype he's given.

I'd have him over Henderson.

I would in some matches, I just wonder if some games are so competitive and physical that we need someone with more running. Especially when Gerrard plays. [/Pards]

"Someone with more running" what does that even mean? Wilshere has a fantastic work ethic.

Stamina, endurance, athleticism. Wilshere is pretty quick and works hard but I have doubts over his "engine".

I do prefer him to Henderson but I worry about the legs of a Gerrard / Wilshere midfield duo.

Proper buzzing about Barkley like. Potential to be an incredible player.

Hodgson wasn't too impressed

Think he's deliberately playing down the media and fan hype tbh, which is fair enough, really.

Too often we hype our players up just before a tournament and for whatever reason, they fail to deliver. Might also spur Barkley on in training knowing that he's still not guaranteed a start.

I love Barkley. He's always going to make something happen. He might not always get it right with the final decisions, but he will not just be out there going through the motions. Ultimately he'll create chances for the team. He was fantastic for that second goal yesterday, absolutely brilliant play.

If Barkley starts he's going to have to do a lot of defensive work due to having Gerrard as the deepest midfielder.

He's going to need legs around him like he does for Liverpool, that's my major concern right now there's too big a gap between the deepest midfielder and the rest of the midfield.

If Barkley starts he's going to have to do a lot of defensive work due to having Gerrard as the deepest midfielder.

He's going to need legs around him like he does for Liverpool, that's my major concern right now there's too big a gap between the deepest midfielder and the rest of the midfield.

Yeah, alright. Calm down Pards.

This is why I'd still be tempted to go with a diamond, which would give the added bonus of having someone doing a job on Pirlo and putting Rooney in his best position.

Chamberlain ruled out for between 10 days and 3 weeks.

Why. Just when I started to appreciate and actually root a bit for England because of Ox and Barkley, one of them gets injured.

Guest taps01

Why. Just when I started to appreciate and actually root a bit for England because of Ox and Barkley, one of them gets injured.

Potentially he will only miss the Italy game which I doubt he would have started in anyway.

Guest taps01

Are they still taking him?

They haven't said yet but with Cleverley as a potential replacement if like to think so!

This is why I'd still be tempted to go with a diamond, which would give the added bonus of having someone doing a job on Pirlo and putting Rooney in his best position.

:thup:

:thup:

This might be rendered null and void if Prandelli sticks with the 4-1-4-1 he used yesterday, mind, which he seemed to suggest he might :laugh:

Was meant to highlight the Pirlo bit. Still agree in general, it's not like Italy/Uruguay have any width themselves anyway and it should help us keep the ball against Costa Rica as well.

Just not a fan of the 4-2-3-1 at all really.

Guest Howaythetoon

Barkley, Sterling, Wellbeck, Sturridge, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Henderson, Redmond, Berahino, Shaw, Jones, Smalling, Hughes, Morrison, Shelvey, Ince and Zaha in particular are all exciting attacking players of a good age that should serve England well in the coming years. None are genuine world-class players and none may ever reach such a level either, but they are good players to a man and if used right can shine. We need more quality in defence and up front though. Barkley is the stand out player for me and AOC can be, but he needs to move away from Arsenal as he needs to play every game and in a role that best suits him, Wenger fannies around too much see Wallcott for example...

Guest Howaythetoon

Jones, Smalling, Shaw and Welbeck are exciting attacking players? News to me, like.

:lol: You mean you didn't see the news about it?!

Seriously, we do have some exciting younger players, especially attacking players.

I actually rate Wellbeck, he's a poor finisher but he makes things happen with bis running, work-rate and his ability to roam around several forward positions.

In time he'll develop into a very good player, but he badly needs to get away from Man Utd and become a regular up top for someone. I'd love him here like.

Smalling and Jones haven't developed quite as good as their original potential showed that they could, but again I believe that's down to who they are playing for. They too need to move.

I like Hodgson and rate him as a good coach, but these young players need someone who will let them loose so to speak.