The England Thread

Pilko

Wilshere can be quite a handy box-to-box player and is one of the more intelligent players we've got when it comes to knowing when to slow the game down and when to speed up. I really don't think Barkley is quite ready for the step up in one of the most important parts of the pitch, he should be eased in to the competition.

I agree but not most of them have the ability that wilshire does is the final third. He's def an advanced player.

From Arsenal's official twitter account.

Arsène says: "His best position is as a deep-lying midfielder, where he can be a distributor. He has a good burst and vision" #AskArsene

I wouldn't say he's def an advanced player, he can play across the midfield and it's always going to be his job to get forward but I'd definitely prefer us with someone else behind the strikers and on the wings, and I don't really want us playing both Gerrard and Wilshire in the centre either.

Defensively, I think we look quite vulnerable as a unit but going forwards it looks much more dynamic.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Hodgson does in respect of formations. Hope it's something interesting like 4-3-3.

Both are better as deep lying play-makers, or at least we have players better suited to playing in other areas of midfield.

Can't ever remember Wilshere playing that role at all. He's much better driving forward.

Really like the squad but would have put Carroll in as a battering ram for emergencies. Looking forward to see how we set up.

I think I would too.

I also hadn't realised how good Jermaine Defoe's England record was. Appreciate he's be a step back though.

Guest firetotheworks

I want to see Barkley because he's the type of player that I love to see come on the scene. Raw, doesn't give a shit, wants to win, wants to take people on, excites the crowd. You won't get any of that with Wilshere or Gerrard.

Really like the squad but would have put Carroll in as a battering ram for emergencies. Looking forward to see how we set up.

Carroll v Lugano would be absolute shenanigans at set-pieces like.

The other two in the group have nobody capable of handling him either, should it come to that. Appreciate that's a fairly simplistic way of looking at it like!

He played there earlier in the season against us, although I don't think he was that great.

Flamini played deepest for them that day didn't he?

Probably, Rosicky was in CAM though. I don't literally mean Wilshere sits in the centre circle spraying balls about, Gerrard doesn't do that either.

I want to see Barkley because he's the type of player that I love to see come on the scene. Raw, doesn't give a s***, wants to win, wants to take people on, excites the crowd. You won't get any of that with Wilshere or Gerrard.

Wilshere's a pretty progressive player, like, he's happy to take the game to the opposition. Also has the added bonus of experience in top level games.

Guest firetotheworks

I like Wilshere, I just want to see a player that's raw running at people. I love that about tournaments, seeing players like Gazza, Owen, Rooney at their early stages just not giving a fuck and going for it.

I'm not saying he's on that level, I'm just saying that he's got that attitude about him that Gazza kept but Owen and Rooney lost. I thought it would have ended up being Carroll, but nevermind.

Guest neesy111

Aye that run against France when he got brought down for the penalty was urneal.

Ridiculous how we lost that match after dominating most of it.

Aye that run against France when he got brought down for the penalty was urneal.

GERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRARD

Guest neesy111

GERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRARD

Another Stevie G fuckup.