The England Thread

Pilko

Wales are s**** so it's difficult to judge but I hope that the emergence of Wilshere is the start of a new England midfield. Gerrard or Lampard, not both.

And Parker keeps Gareth Barry the fuck away as well.. I can't stand him.

Yeah, Giggs couldn't have played for England.

"Did Ryan Giggs have the option of playing for England?" asks William Holdaway. "I know he played for England at schoolboy level, but I gather that qualification depended on the location of your school. This could settle a long-standing and increasingly boring argument ... do your best!"

You're right, William. Contrary to popular belief, Giggsy never had the option of playing for England. He was born in Cardiff to Welsh parents, and only moved to the Manchester area when he was seven.

He did captain England schoolboys when he played at that level for Manchester United but, as Mark Wylie of the Manchester United museum explains: "That was due to residence. Plenty of Scots have played for England schools. It just depends on where you go to school."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/06/theknowledge.sport

how did john barnes get to play for england then and couldn't arteta and shola ?

Yeah, Giggs couldn't have played for England.

"Did Ryan Giggs have the option of playing for England?" asks William Holdaway. "I know he played for England at schoolboy level, but I gather that qualification depended on the location of your school. This could settle a long-standing and increasingly boring argument ... do your best!"

You're right, William. Contrary to popular belief, Giggsy never had the option of playing for England. He was born in Cardiff to Welsh parents, and only moved to the Manchester area when he was seven.

He did captain England schoolboys when he played at that level for Manchester United but, as Mark Wylie of the Manchester United museum explains: "That was due to residence. Plenty of Scots have played for England schools. It just depends on where you go to school."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2004/oct/06/theknowledge.sport

how did john barnes get to play for england then and couldn't arteta and shola ?

Isn't home nation eligibility a gentlemen's agreement between your FAs rather than a hard FIFA rule? (as at the end of the day, you are all a single country afterall).

Btw it was in the paper the other day that Sky had designs on taking Gary Neville on as a pundit permanently, with a view to also getting Ryan Giggs when he retires to make a new double act. :lol:

Teams higher than Wales in the world rankings: Korea DPR, The Gambia, Antigua and Barbuda, Iceland

Is that all? We're doing really well then, we're 8th or something IIRC.