The England Thread

Pilko

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We're just not that good. A few good individuals, but when you've got the likes of Johnson, Barry, Milner, Bent near your team you won't get very far.

It's beginning to really fuck me off that all the blame for England's 'poor' performances is placed at the feet of Capello. The bloke has the best win ratio of any England manager. Maybe, just maybe, we're an average team with only two or three players of genuine quality?

There was enough quality in the side to beat Switzerland today. The system's still too narrow, whether it's the formation or because he picks an unbalanced side, who knows? The second goal was well worked but aside from that, the chemistry between Milner and Baines was utterly non-existant. Same down the right side, you'd have thought Walcott and Johnson have never met each other before.

On top of that, the players play without motivation or confidence, probably cos they can't communicate with the manager properly. I can't deny that there's a lot of bog-standard players in the make-up of the squad, and definitely one or two poxy personalities, but the manager's at the root of our main issues at the moment. Whenever we come up against a team that can pass the ball or has a modicum of pace, we struggle tremendously. We were chasing the game (at home to a very average side) before we've had a chance to dictate it - and that's down to the manager.

The last twenty minutes were painful. Capello on the sideline looking confused, with the full-backs doing nowt but playing long balls. Switzerland played out the draw with ease, even though we had faster players than them and decent players to bring on. Completely ran out of ideas.

Like i've said, we don't have any world-beaters and are miles away from winning a tournament, Capello or no Capello - but it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that the guy hasn't got a clue. I don't think he even knows where the problems are. We won't progress under him.

Hitzfeld has seemingly found a way of a far inferior side to England to get a good result against them.  That puts him ahead of Capello for me.  Also capello seems to be taking lessons from Micky Owen in blaming everything/one apart from himself for these performances and inept tactics shown in these games.  When has capello tactically outdone another manager while England manager....

Hitzfeld has been slated massively in Switzerland for negative tactics and picking the wrong players. He's struggled moreso than Capello has.

The only reason he's finally hit on a winning formula is because two of their longstanding players have retired and they're already basically out of the running to qualify, meaning he's been essentially forced to throw in young players and build for the next tournament.

I really do doubt his tactics like. As i keep saying - i don't think we've got a great playing staff at the moment. I just don't think it's there. I reckon we had that, and in turn our best chance of silverware, under Eriksson. The likes of Scholes, Beckham, Joe Cole, Campbell, etc - that was the last time i genuinely thought we had a team full of world class players. We're miles away from that now.

But that doesn't excuse shite results like this, and against Montenegro. We've still got enough to beat them, particularly at home. You've got to point the fingers towards the manager at some point. I was all for the players taking the lionshare of the blame at the World Cup, but the managerial cracks are starting to show in hindsight. We didn't have enough pace to match Germany, but then we played into their hands.

Agree with Neesy, the Croatia results aside, i've yet to see Capello genuinely mastermind a performance to overpower a good team.

Guest neesy111

It's beginning to really fuck me off that all the blame for England's 'poor' performances is placed at the feet of Capello. The bloke has the best win ratio of any England manager. Maybe, just maybe, we're an average team with only two or three players of genuine quality?

There was enough quality in the side to beat Switzerland today. The system's still too narrow, whether it's the formation or because he picks an unbalanced side, who knows? The second goal was well worked but aside from that, the chemistry between Milner and Baines was utterly non-existant. Same down the right side, you'd have thought Walcott and Johnson have never met each other before.

On top of that, the players play without motivation or confidence, probably cos they can't communicate with the manager properly. I can't deny that there's a lot of bog-standard players in the make-up of the squad, and definitely one or two poxy personalities, but the manager's at the root of our main issues at the moment. Whenever we come up against a team that can pass the ball or has a modicum of pace, we struggle tremendously. We were chasing the game (at home to a very average side) before we've had a chance to dictate it - and that's down to the manager.

The last twenty minutes were painful. Capello on the sideline looking confused, with the full-backs doing nowt but playing long balls. Switzerland played out the draw with ease, even though we had faster players than them and decent players to bring on. Completely ran out of ideas.

Like i've said, we don't have any world-beaters and are miles away from winning a tournament, Capello or no Capello - but it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that the guy hasn't got a clue. I don't think he even knows where the problems are. We won't progress under him.

Hitzfeld has seemingly found a way of a far inferior side to England to get a good result against them.  That puts him ahead of Capello for me.  Also capello seems to be taking lessons from Micky Owen in blaming everything/one apart from himself for these performances and inept tactics shown in these games.  When has capello tactically outdone another manager while England manager....

Hitzfeld has been slated massively in Switzerland for negative tactics and picking the wrong players. He's struggled moreso than Capello has.

The only reason he's finally hit on a winning formula is because two of their longstanding players have retired and they're already basically out of the running to qualify, meaning he's been essentially forced to throw in young players and build for the next tournament.

[/]

And Capello hasnt been heavily slated...  The whole press and most of England wanted him out last July, only thing that stopped it was his stupid contract.  England on paper had a far superior team to switzland and England have under capello always been a team on paper rather than substance. 

Guest neesy111

All of Switzerland's squad played in a top European division. They're hardly a poor team ffs.

Senderos was a great success in the premiership......

Well, that's the thing. Because the Premiership is good, everyone automatically assumes the England team to be good and writes off anyone else without putting much thought to it.

Well, everyone apart from those people in transfer threads who seemingly have an encyclopaedic knowledge of every player in every European league.

Guest neesy111

Switzerland have a better recent qualifying record than England.

Is that of qualifying to major tournaments....

Guest neesy111

They've qualified for the last 3 they've attempted to, can't say the same about England.

This is where the world ranking system is fucking ridiculous.

That Swiss manager seems canny good, like. Maybe we should start a betting scam campaign to get him here...

won a champions league or 2 and 7 bundisliga titles with Bayern and Dortmund as I recall, hes no mug not a pretty style of football but gets the job done for the swiss most of the time

That Swiss manager seems canny good, like. Maybe we should start a betting scam campaign to get him here...

Who made that banner which was picked up by the SSN cameras at iirc the Villa game?

We've a bunch of uninspired players led by an uninspired manager (should that be uninspiring?) but tactical weakness is the tip of the iceberg.

The atmosphere at Wembley is consistently flat for England games. Many fans barely feel a link with the players on show and the players in turn find little motivation to perform in front of unenthusiastic fans. Its reciprocal and systemic. Our national game is firmly secondary to our club game and the gap is getting bigger and bigger. It doesn't help that half the team come across as twats. This further adds to the feeling of apathy and isolation. They are supposed to represent us. Instead, they're more bothered about negotiating a 10% increase to their already ridiculous wage packet. That may seem obvious rhetoric but it's not exactly inaccurate. Why should we get behind them? Why should players take any notice of what fans think? These are the questions I think best sum up the situation with England at the moment.

We, as a country, are falling behind. England, the great name of football, the Home Of Football (trademarked by Mr. Blatter), is falling behind. We are not great. We are not succeeding. We are not a force to be reckoned with.

How many of you could say you would have been as much as bothered if we got beat today? I for one couldn't. That, to me, is a sad state of affairs.

From top to bottom our sport appears riddled with weaknesses. The lack of technical aptitude coming from the youth ranks, the sleaziness of the FA, the power of the media. The rags go to work on a player, and we, as a country, buy it. The rags praise a player and we, as a country, buy it.

I dunno. I really want to love my national football team, I really do. But I can't. I feel no burning desire to cheer them on.

Yet there I'll be, shouting with support when (if?!) we get to the Euros. Guess I'm just a sucker for football.

We've a bunch of uninspired players led by an uninspired manager (should that be uninspiring?) but tactical weakness is the tip of the iceberg.

The atmosphere at Wembley is consistently flat for England games. Many fans barely feel a link with the players on show and the players in turn find little motivation to perform in front of unenthusiastic fans. Its reciprocal and systemic. Our national game is firmly secondary to our club game and the gap is getting bigger and bigger. It doesn't help that half the team come across as twats. This further adds to the feeling of apathy and isolation. They are supposed to represent us. Instead, they're more bothered about negotiating a 10% increase to their already ridiculous wage packet. That may seem obvious rhetoric but it's not exactly inaccurate. Why should we get behind them? Why should players take any notice of what fans think? These are the questions I think best sum up the situation with England at the moment.

We, as a country, are falling behind. England, the great name of football, the Home Of Football (trademarked by Mr. Blatter), is falling behind. We are not great. We are not succeeding. We are not a force to be reckoned with.

How many of you could say you would have been as much as bothered if we got beat today? I for one couldn't. That, to me, is a sad state of affairs.

From top to bottom our sport appears riddled with weaknesses. The lack of technical aptitude coming from the youth ranks, the sleaziness of the FA, the power of the media. The rags go to work on a player, and we, as a country, buy it. The rags praise a player and we, as a country, buy it.

I dunno. I really want to love my national football team, I really do. But I can't. I feel no burning desire to cheer them on.

Yet there I'll be, shouting with support when (if?!) we get to the Euros. Guess I'm just a sucker for football.

Good post, completely agree, Although its unfortunatley been like that for alot of people on here and throughout the country for years now.

Good post, completely agree, Although its unfortunatley been like that for alot of people on here and throughout the country for years now.

inspiration is way behind technical ability and a game plan in things missing.

the madness ad at half time was embarassing.

So very this. Not exactly a coup for Kronenbourg, getting Suggs to be in an advert and sing Baggy Trousers.

not just suggs, some other madness memebers were there i think. and the motorhead "ace of spades" one worked so well.