The England Thread

Pilko

So let me get this right - Crouch has retired himself from International football because he hasn't been picked for a game against Switzerland after a shit season?

Sensitive little fanny.

This is the problem with England, for me, and probably the reason why I couldn't give two shits whether they qualified or not. Too many players think they have a divine right to be playing. This is no doubt reinforced by the management who continue to pick players on reputation rather than form.

Did this team have many media darlings? I can only think of Lampard really, and maybe Walcott (but do the medis like him?)

Guess you could argue about Terry and Cole, but most people would say they're the best options in their position at the moment.

Crouch U-turn, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13683679.stm :

Peter Crouch admits he has thought about quitting international football but wants to play on for England.

The striker has scored 22 goals in 42 games for his country but is seemingly out of favour with boss Fabio Capello.

Crouch, 30, failed to make the bench for Saturday's 2-2 draw against Switzerland in Euro 2012 qualifying.

Asked if he had considered his England future, he said: "I'm not going to lie, I was extremely frustrated, but it's one of those things and you move on."

Speaking at the launch of the Football Association's Just Play initiative, the Tottenham star told BBC Sport's Dan Roan: "I feel that whenever I've played for England, I've done well, so I felt maybe I've been slightly unfairly treated.

"Playing for England is the pinnacle of any [English] player's career and I absolutely love doing it. If I get a minute on the pitch [for England], that's great, if I get 90 that's a lot better.

"I was disappointed, but I've got a long summer now to think about things and hopefully come back with a new attitude."

He added: "Do I want to carry on playing for England? Yeah, of course. I would never give up playing for my country at any stage. It's an honour."

Crouch's only international start since May 2010 was in the Euro 2012 qualifier with Montenegro at Wembley in October.

That match finished goalless, and since then he has been restricted to a substitute's appearance in the November friendly against France in which he scored.

Crouch has not featured at all in England's last three games against Wales, Ghana and the Swiss.

He was in the squad to face Switzerland, but Capello opted to have Fulham's Bobby Zamora on the bench at Wembley.

Crouch added: "It's up to the manager who he picks, of course, but I won't be hanging up my boots."

Guest Chubby Jason

This spate of "retirements" is pathetic. Thank you Peter Crouch for still wanting to play for England, the entire nation is eternally grateful for your unquestionable loyalty.

Guest neesy111

Did this team have many media darlings? I can only think of Lampard really, and maybe Walcott (but do the medis like him?)

Guess you could argue about Terry and Cole, but most people would say they're the best options in their position at the moment.

Scott fucking Parker.  How he won Football Writers Player of the Year is one thing, playing for England shows Capello is absolutely useless at his job.  Would rarther have Gareth Barry playing and I detest him.

Scott f***ing Parker.  How he won Football Writers Player of the Year is one thing, playing for England shows Capello is absolutely useless at his job. Would rarther have Gareth Barry playing and I detest him.

Let's not get overexcited here.

Guest neesy111

That's a ridiculous thing to say, Nessy.

What the bit about Parker or the bit about Barry?

Guest neesy111

I thought Parker would be the perfect example of a player picked on form rather than celebrity.

Parker is heralded on SSN and the media.  His form has been very different apart from a couple of decent games last season he was absolute gash, especially in both games against us.

Guest neesy111

True, but surely the media sometimes say players are good because they actually are good?

All the West Ham fans I've spoken too absolutely love Scott Parker.

They love him as he actually give's a fuck on the pitch, unlike the losers around him imo.

I haven't seen Scott Parker play a fucking excellent game since his Charlton days.  Mourinho totally ruined the guy.

Guest neesy111

That's a ridiculous thing to say, Nessy.

What the bit about Parker or the bit about Barry?

The Barry bit.

That he's shit or better than parker?

True, but surely the media sometimes say players are good because they actually are good?

They love him as he actually give's a f*** on the pitch, unlike the losers around him imo.

I haven't seen Scott Parker play a f***ing excellent game since his Charlton days.  Mourinho totally ruined the guy.

Are you sure abouit this bit?

I saw him have some superb performances in our colours (mostly befor ethe gladular fever) and he has been the shining light in West Hams season

They love him as he actually give's a f*** on the pitch, unlike the losers around him imo.

I haven't seen Scott Parker play a f***ing excellent game since his Charlton days.  Mourinho totally ruined the guy.

I saw him have some superb performances in our colours (mostly befor ethe gladular fever) and he has been the shining light in West Hams season

That game against Arsenal when we won 1-0 certainly springs to mind.

That game against Arsenal when we won 1-0 certainly springs to mind.

The 2-1 win against Wigan on the opening day of the 06/07 season certainly, too.

Loved the shit out of Scott Parker when he was up here. Gutted to see him leave, I'd have him in the England team regularly. I think the problem with Capello is that, for the first time in his life, he's met a challenge that, for whatever reason, he can't seem to crack, so he tries to copy other blueprints, like putting in young players a la Germany, or fanciful new formations based on another team's success, instead of studying the players he has available to him and formulating the best combination of players to fit the most effective system in consideration of those available resources. However, it's now way too late to think in this way and the clock is winding down on his tenure - the players aren't bothered about him, he's not bothered about them or us, or the job, and the whole situation seems to be riddled with apathy and indifference.

Also, we aren't anywhere near as good as we think we are.

Loved the s*** out of Scott Parker when he was up here. Gutted to see him leave, I'd have him in the England team regularly. I think the problem with Capello is that, for the first time in his life, he's met a challenge that, for whatever reason, he can't seem to crack, so he tries to copy other blueprints, like putting in young players a la Germany, or fanciful new formations based on another team's success, instead of studying the players he has available to him and formulating the best combination of players to fit the most effective system in consideration of those available resources. However, it's now way too late to think in this way and the clock is winding down on his tenure - the players aren't bothered about him, he's not bothered about them or us, or the job, and the whole situation seems to be riddled with apathy and indifference.

Has Capello really done a bad job?

England qualified easily for the last World Cup and lost in the knock out stage to a much better team. They look like qualifying for the next tournament (in all likelihood) where they will probably lose to a better team. Unless they get a lucky draw and fluke it.

They have better than average players and get better than average results. His biggest failing seems to be managing a bunch of genuinely unappealing human beings like John Terry, Wayne Rooney and Ashley Cole.

The World Cup campaign was a disgrace from start to finish, he could (perhaps should) have gone for that. Then he comes back and the 'revamp' of the squad basically involved the retirement of Emile Heskey and all the other cunts just kept their places. He's just been taking the piss since they announced he'd be off at a fixed point in future, what an absolutely shit idea that was.

Loved the s*** out of Scott Parker when he was up here. Gutted to see him leave, I'd have him in the England team regularly. I think the problem with Capello is that, for the first time in his life, he's met a challenge that, for whatever reason, he can't seem to crack, so he tries to copy other blueprints, like putting in young players a la Germany, or fanciful new formations based on another team's success, instead of studying the players he has available to him and formulating the best combination of players to fit the most effective system in consideration of those available resources. However, it's now way too late to think in this way and the clock is winding down on his tenure - the players aren't bothered about him, he's not bothered about them or us, or the job, and the whole situation seems to be riddled with apathy and indifference.

Has Capello really done a bad job?

England qualified easily for the last World Cup and lost in the knock out stage to a much better team. They look like qualifying for the next tournament (in all likelihood) where they will probably lose to a better team. Unless they get a lucky draw and fluke it.

They have better than average players and get better than average results. His biggest failing seems to be managing a bunch of genuinely unappealing human beings like John Terry, Wayne Rooney and Ashley Cole.

He has been absolutely terrible.

The language thing really fucks me off as well. He learnt 90% of the English language in about three months and apparently has been going backwards since then. Do me a favour, it's a right cop out. 'I don't understand', aye right whatever mate.