The England Thread

Pilko

The World Cup campaign was a disgrace from start to finish, he could (perhaps should) have gone for that. Then he comes back and the 'revamp' of the squad basically involved the retirement of Emile Heskey and all the other c***s just kept their places. He's just been taking the p*ss since they announced he'd be off at a fixed point in future, what an absolutely s*** idea that was.

If he had anything about him he would have walked. The FA are as much to blame, they are clueless, they should have looked at how the French reacted after their world cup disater.

Didn't he get a new contract just before the World Cup too which meant he couldn't be fired. Madness. He's been absolutely shite and to cop it all off he is allegedly on 3x more than any other international manager.

Saying that if I was Cappello I'd be laughing my tits off whilst wiping up my Arribiatta stains with £50 notes too.

Saying that the rank short-termism of England doesn't help any manager. I'd have fucked anyone over 30 with the exception of Ashley Cole and John Terry straight off out the squad for good after the World Cup for starters, even with a few inexperienced younger players in we'd still qualify due to the shitness of our group (a decent but transitional Swiss team and solid Montenegrin team being the best of the rest).

Make sure all the friendlies are against top teams too. Absolutely nowt to be learnt from playing knackers like Hungary etc.

Didn't he get a new contract just before the World Cup too which meant he couldn't be fired. Madness. He's been absolutely s**** and to cop it all off he is allegedly on 3x more than any other international manager.

Saying that if I was Cappello I'd be laughing my tits off whilst wiping up my Arribiatta stains with £50 notes too.

Aye, and on £6 million a year.

The World Cup campaign was a disgrace from start to finish, he could (perhaps should) have gone for that. Then he comes back and the 'revamp' of the squad basically involved the retirement of Emile Heskey and all the other c***s just kept their places. He's just been taking the p*ss since they announced he'd be off at a fixed point in future, what an absolutely s*** idea that was.

If he had anything about him he would have walked. The FA are as much to blame, they are clueless, they should have looked at how the French reacted after their world cup disater.

The French FA were actually very loyal to Domenech, despite his unpopularity with supporters. He was always going to leave after the World Cup.

The French FA were actually very loyal to Domenech, despite his unpopularity with supporters. He was always going to leave after the World Cup.

They were very loyal, but he did get to a world cup final despite all the negative feelings towards him.

The language thing really f***s me off as well. He learnt 90% of the English language in about three months and apparently has been going backwards since then. Do me a favour, it's a right cop out. 'I don't understand', aye right whatever mate.

This. Can never understand what he's going on about in interviews. F*** knows what the players get out of him during teamtalks.

Guest Loven11

FABIO CAPELLO would have been sacked after the World Cup by any other top footballing nation.

That's the explosive claim of Three Lions' legendary striker Alan Shearer.

He said of the England boss: "Capello was a great manager when he came to this country, but it has not really worked for him with England.

"In this job you get judged on the major tournaments and he had us in a major tournament in South Africa and we definitely underperformed there. Everyone agrees about that.

"I think if any of the other big countries had performed like we did, he would have lost his job."

But Shearer says the country should now get behind Capello as England try to qualify for Euro 2012.

He added: "What's for sure is you can't sack him now. We will still qualify, I'm pretty sure of that."

Not just on the Shearer subject, but a general thought. Really pissing me off that when we have a shaky tournament, it's next manager in, get rid of this clown. International football needs stability just as much as club football. Considering the short time they actually spend with each other, it could be argued stability is needed even moreso. It's called building, obviously he's made mistakes and not been to standard. But are we going to do this with every manager? We got rid of the steady quarter final finishes with Eriksson and look where that got us. And that's coming from someone who's not a major Eriksson fan.

Keegan didn't work - that was never the job for a manager like him. We showed glimpses under Eriksson but i think his time was definitely up. With the litter of genuinely world class players, it was pretty poor show that we never made it past a quarter-final so it was worth trying someone new. McClaren was never, in a million years, the correct replacement though; a complete joke. And Capello's shown nowt to suggest he's going to help this pool of average English players progress, not even bothering to learn the language properly.

In a nutshell, The FA are fucking shite at appointing managers. Probs why we get rid of them fairly frequently. The difference to club football is that the chance to rectify stuff comes around once every two years, not every week. And that collection of managers, in most cases, haven't warranted another two years-worth of the English game's time and money to try and get it right. Capello, imo, is definitely in that list btw.

That said, wasn't the longest running manager at the last WC Bruce Arena - who'd been with the US for five years, or something? That could be a completely bollocks fact, but i vaguely remember something along those lines? Clearly we're not the only 'superpower' in international football that chops and changes their managers when things go wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

FIFA rankings being bollocks as usual:

England move above Brazil to fourth in Fifa rankings

Page last updated at 10:50 GMT, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 11:50 UK

E-mail this to a friend

Printable version

England have moved above Brazil to fourth in the Fifa world rankings, despite their recent run of poor form.

Fabio Capello's England side only reached the last 16 of last summer's World Cup and have not won their last two qualifying matches for Euro 2012.

Spain are top of the rankings, followed by the Netherlands and Germany.

Republic of Ireland (31st), Scotland (61st) and Northern Ireland (62nd) also climb the rankings but Wales stay in 114th place.

It is the first time England have been as high as fourth since 1997, after they reached the semi-finals of Euro 96.

However, Capello and his side have come under criticism after a poor World Cup and only managing a 2-2 draw against Switzerland at Wembley earlier this month - a result that the Italian coach blamed on fatigue.

Spain's haul of 1,871 points keeps them top and they are 210 points ahead of the Netherlands, who they beat in the World Cup final in South Africa last year.

Germany's 1,417 points moves them up to third, while England tally 1,146 points.

Brazil (1,130), Italy (1,059), Portugal (1,046), Croatia (1,033), Mexico (1,007) and Argentina (979) complete the top 10.

Fifa ranking points are accumulated according to results, the importance of the matches played and the strength of the opposing teams.

A team's total number of points is representative of a four-year period, calculated by the average number of points gained over the past 12 months and the average gained from older games, though that points total depreciates yearly.

Since they were knocked out of the World Cup by Germany just over a year ago, England have won five matches, including three qualifiers; drawn three, which includes two competitive games; and lost once - to France in a friendly.

Fifa rankings for June

Continue reading the main story

1 Spain

2 Netherlands

3 Germany

4 England

5 Brazil

31 Republic of Ireland

61 Scotland

62 Northern Ireland

114 Wales

Not just on the Shearer subject, but a general thought. Really pissing me off that when we have a shaky tournament, it's next manager in, get rid of this clown. International football needs stability just as much as club football. Considering the short time they actually spend with each other, it could be argued stability is needed even moreso. It's called building, obviously he's made mistakes and not been to standard. But are we going to do this with every manager? We got rid of the steady quarter final finishes with Eriksson and look where that got us. And that's coming from someone who's not a major Eriksson fan.

I'd agree with that. Sacking Capello after the World Cup wouldn't have been a step forward.

What I feel gets forgotten is that beforehand we looked good and in fact qualified with far more ease than is usually the case. However, having got there, Capello was inexperienced at that sort of international tournament and got the mental and physical preparation of the players wrong. He should be given the chance now to use that experience.

There were also outside factors working against him. The Rooney story hadn't hit the papers, but it was in the pipeline and he just wasn't focused. I don't think Terry completely accepted losing the captaincy and the stories that there was tension between him and Gerrard probably have substance. We seemed to be a house divided.

FIFA rankings being bollocks as usual:

England move above Brazil to fourth in Fifa rankings

Page last updated at 10:50 GMT, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 11:50 UK

E-mail this to a friend

Printable version

England have moved above Brazil to fourth in the Fifa world rankings, despite their recent run of poor form.

Fabio Capello's England side only reached the last 16 of last summer's World Cup and have not won their last two qualifying matches for Euro 2012.

Spain are top of the rankings, followed by the Netherlands and Germany.

Republic of Ireland (31st), Scotland (61st) and Northern Ireland (62nd) also climb the rankings but Wales stay in 114th place.

It is the first time England have been as high as fourth since 1997, after they reached the semi-finals of Euro 96.

However, Capello and his side have come under criticism after a poor World Cup and only managing a 2-2 draw against Switzerland at Wembley earlier this month - a result that the Italian coach blamed on fatigue.

Spain's haul of 1,871 points keeps them top and they are 210 points ahead of the Netherlands, who they beat in the World Cup final in South Africa last year.

Germany's 1,417 points moves them up to third, while England tally 1,146 points.

Brazil (1,130), Italy (1,059), Portugal (1,046), Croatia (1,033), Mexico (1,007) and Argentina (979) complete the top 10.

Fifa ranking points are accumulated according to results, the importance of the matches played and the strength of the opposing teams.

A team's total number of points is representative of a four-year period, calculated by the average number of points gained over the past 12 months and the average gained from older games, though that points total depreciates yearly.

Since they were knocked out of the World Cup by Germany just over a year ago, England have won five matches, including three qualifiers; drawn three, which includes two competitive games; and lost once - to France in a friendly.Fifa rankings for June

Continue reading the main story

1 Spain

2 Netherlands

3 Germany

4 England

5 Brazil

31 Republic of Ireland

61 Scotland

62 Northern Ireland

114 Wales

The one game they lost was the game I went to  :angry:, The fifa rankings are allways bollocks and this just proves it.