The England Thread

Pilko

Height, intelligence?

I don't think he's unintelligent at all. As for height, aye he's not massive but he's powerful and athletic.

Anyway, like I said it was just a thought, I just don't rate any of our CB options too highly.

He never looks like he knows what he's doing at CB.

Agree. Looks ok against lesser teams maybe but he doesn't read the game well enough and in the past times i've seen him play there he just used his athleticism to make up for his mistakes.

GK - Hart

GK - Green

GK - Carson

RB - Walker

RB - G. Johnson

LB - A. Cole

LB - Baines

CB - Terry

CB - Ferdinand

CB - Lescott

CB - Cahill

CM - Scholes

CM - Carrick

CM - Barry

CM - Parker

RM - A. Johnson

RM - Sturridge

AM - Lampard

AM - Gerrard

LM - Young

LM - Welbeck

CF - Rooney

CF - Carroll

That would probably be my 23, with 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 as my default formation and two players selected for each position available. Some selections have been made with the idea of extra cover in mind (Sturridge ahead of Downing to add someone else capable of playing up front to the mix, Welbeck for the same reason ahead of someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain, although Danny was probably in regardless). I've tried to use realism for the most part, but have admittedly combined that with what I'd like to see in a few instances. For example, Scholes may be a fanciful inclusion but if he would agree to go I would take him and have him as a starter in one of the deep midfield roles alongside Barry.

Other players I considered but didn't go for were:

Ruddy (just think the keepers are settled, although I'd personally be inclined to take him to freshen things up a bit there)

Jagielka (always like him for England but see him at about 6th choice if everyone is fit at the moment)

Jones (may well be taken as a utility player, but it's difficult to make a really strong case against any of the selected defenders to be culled, bar the two old-heads in the middle who will probably get in on reputation)

Smalling (prefer him to Jones and could be deployed as a brick wall in the midfield if needed, but again struggling to shoe-horn him in for similar reasons)

Richards (may well go ahead of Walker due to experience and capability to cover in the centre, but hasn't been first choice for Man City lately while Walker and G. Johnson play every week)

Milner (not playing regularly, quite difficult to make a case for him ahead of any of those selected but will probably be the one to go if Scholes doesn't bother)

Cleverley (come back into things too late, has lost a lot of the momentum he was building at the beginning of the season)

Downing (will probably go in reality, and may well deserve to ahead of Sturridge anyway who is hardly on form at the moment and A. Johnson barely gets a kick at Man City these days too but just offers a bit of guile that nobody else brings to the national team)

Oxlade-Chamberlain (I'd probably chuck him in ahead of Sturridge AND Downing if it was just down to me, but hasn't played a great deal lately and a lot of his aura has been diminished because of that)

Defoe (just think Welbeck has jumped ahead of him although Roy may take JD because of his experience and record)

Crouch (just think Carroll is going to be the form player and will offer more of a difficult threat for oppositions to handle)

My team for the first game would be:

Hart

Walker    Terry    Lescott    Cole

Scholes    Barry

Johnson    Lampard    Young

Carroll

See how things go and bring back Rooney where required if we're still in with a shout come the third game... Uninspring overall, tbh. :(

Looking at it again, think the Ox needs to go but it's just a shame he's lost a fair bit of form and momentum due to his sparing use by Wenger. There's just not enough flair or pace in the front six otherwise. How the fuck have we, as a nation, got into a situation where Gareth Barry and Scott Parker are automatic selections (probably starters, too) for the squad? I don't even dislike either, tbh, I completely see their worth in a week-to-week basis for their respective teams, but it's fucking depressing when you look at the lack of footballing talent in the middle of the park for us. I can't really see Scholes returning for this, but I'd love it if he did, just to have someone in there capable of dictating the tempo and enabling us to keep the ball a bit better. Even if you have to pick Barry alongside him (ahead of Carrick, who I'd prefer from a purely philosophical perspective) I think he'd improve us significantly.

who are the best crossers of the ball from FB, walker & cole?  that'd be my gameplan, ox and johnson to do the tricky winger shit backed up by fullbacks who can whip the ball onto carroll's napper

It'd be Johnson and Baines for me, but there's no way I'd start Baines ahead of Cole at left-back and I'm a big fan of Walker's enegery and tenacity as well.

We're alright at fullback, I reckon, it's just the rest of the team I'm worried about.

We could just go for familiarity, of course:

Hart

Jones    Smalling    Ferdinand    Cole

Cleverley    Scholes    Carrick    Young

Welbeck    Rooney

Can also work in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1. Fuck it.

Ox isnt ready, thats the reason he's been benched recently the mere fact he was kept in Simpsons back pocket should tell you that and when ever he has come off the bench he has been meh at best.... talent is'nt everything there is so many things needed to be a top footballer and Ox is nowhere near that level yet  :lol:

Hart

Richards Lescott Ferdinand Baines

Parker Carrick Gerrard

Walcott Rooney Young

Johnson is overrated as f*ck, same goes for Jones...... and alot of these players just scream out average.

All very depressing, i wish Wilshere and Cleverly had been fit this season and Rodwell had'nt lost his way as well as many others that are not living up to their promise for one reason or another.

Let's hope Roy realises what Stuart Pearce didn't - Wellbeck is not good enough for England

:thup: I have no idea why he's even anywhere near the Man U first XI .

Short-term I don't have a problem with Parker playing TBH, he's a good option in the holding role.

Our CM options are actually shite, I would be tempted to play someone like Carrick and just tell him and Parker to play it simple and keep possession. Get it to the wide men/forwards and we're good to go.