The England Thread

Pilko

I see the likes of Wilshere and Welbeck aren't available for selection for the U-21 squad.

It's a shame IMO as it gives them invaluable tournament experience.

Not to mention it vastly increases our chance of winning if our best players are selected.

• 2 weeks later...

Call-ups for qualifiers against San Marino and Montenegro:

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Fraser Forster

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand (:memelol:), Glen Johnson, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Leon Osman, Scott Parker, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young

Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster (:memelol:), Joe Hart, Fraser Forster (:memelol:)

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill (:memelol:), Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson (:memelol:), Rio Ferdinand (:memelol:), Glen Johnson (:memelol:), Chris Smalling (:memelol:), Kyle Walker (:memelol:)

Midfielders: Michael Carrick (:memelol:), Tom Cleverley (:memelol:), Steven Gerrard (:memelol:), Frank Lampard (:memelol:), Aaron Lennon (:memelol:), James Milner (:memelol:), Leon Osman (:memelol:), Scott Parker (:memelol:), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (:memelol:), Theo Walcott (:memelol:), Ashley Young (:memelol:)

Forwards: Jermain Defoe (:memelol:), Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge (:memelol:), Daniel Welbeck (:memelol:)

FYP

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Fraser Forster

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand (:memelol:), Glen Johnson, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Leon Osman, Scott Parker, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young

Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck

Not sure why you're mocking the Rio selection? He's actually been very very good for Man Utd recently.

We're just not very good, are we? :lol:

:lol: We're all right, honestly. We're neither as bad as people (and some media) say, or as good as the media (and some people) say. We're not as good as Spain, but we should be better than San Marino and Montenegro.

The problem is, people like Dawson and Parker have actually played pretty well recently. I can understand the call-up from a "rewarding good form" perspective, but I just don't think they should be playing from a "building a squad" perspective. They're not technically good enough to play at the top level unless they are part of a well-drilled team, and I don't think we're that. Are there not younger alternatives available? Maybe not tbh.

Guest icemanblue

:lol: We're all right, honestly. We're neither as bad as people (and some media) say, or as good as the media (and some people) say. We're not as good as Spain, but we should be better than San Marino and Montenegro.

The problem is, people like Dawson and Parker have actually played pretty well recently. I can understand the call-up from a "rewarding good form" perspective, but I just don't think they should be playing from a "building a squad" perspective. They're not technically good enough to play at the top level unless they are part of a well-drilled team, and I don't think we're that. Are there not younger alternatives available? Maybe not tbh.

That's it, there aren't really any stand out alternatives. I look at that squad and think 'average'. At least on the international stage.

Didn't even realise Parker was back in, disappointing as I don't think he is up to it. Aside from that it's fine, can only pick from what you've got and unfortunately England only have a handful of top class players.

That's it, there aren't really any stand out alternatives. I look at that squad and think 'average'. At least on the international stage.

It's unfortunate. I mean, I look at the Spurs players there (Dawson, Walker, Parker, Lennon, Defoe) and every one has had mixed reviews from Spurs fans over the last couple of seasons. Every one has had a few people say they're not good enough for a Top 4 team (rightly or wrongly). The last three are not long back from injuries too. I wouldn't say that any of them are credited with good footballing brains either, which seems to be the real problem with English players. That puts a lot of onus on the Coach to build a system that can use their strengths, which has got to be hard in the time he has.

Guest Miguel Piñero

Never understood the 'building for the future' argument in regards to Ferdinand when Lampard and Gerrard are still stalwarts and the players picked ahead of him like Lescott Jagielka and Cahill are neither partiularly young or good

Never understood the 'building for the future' argument in regards to Ferdinand when Lampard and Gerrard are still stalwarts and the players picked ahead of him like Lescott Jagielka and Cahill are neither partiularly young or good

Really? Ferdinand will be 35 this year, and has had considerable issues with injuries. Cahill is 27.

Not that I think that Ferdinand should necessarily be dropped, just that the "building for the future" argument would surely be the obvious reason why he might be dropped.

Guest Miguel Piñero

the 'future' is only in a years time when the world cup takes place, I'd be surprised if Ferdinand isnt still considerably better than Cahill or the others at that point.

I don't disagree, and tbh any criticism is tempered by the fact not sure there is an england squad there to be selected that would impress me, but if we want to compete at the world cup, we should be settling in a squad of the same players, players who give a damn, and kicking out the usual suspects, and those who might play good games but are ageing and getting worse, so by next summer could be injured or worthless. The england team's revolving door of occaisionally blooded younger players in and out doesn't build any kind of team.