The England Thread

Pilko

I think France have a much better squad than ours, yet as always they just can't get them to gel as a team due to personality clashes.

Better depth perhaps but I look at their first Xl and ours and I think ours is comfortably better.

Combined "fit" English/France XI for me would be -

Lloris (think he's better than Hart but will get a load of shit for saying so)

Debuchy

Varane

Sakho

Cole

Ribery

Cabaye

Matuidi

Wilshere

Rooney

Benzama

Of course there's room for a fully fit Hatem when he proves himself.  :coolsmiley:

I think France have a much better squad than ours, yet as always they just can't get them to gel as a team due to personality clashes.

Better depth perhaps but I look at their first Xl and ours and I think ours is comfortably better.

Combined "fit" English/France XI for me would be -

Lloris (think he's better than Hart but will get a load of shit for saying so)

Debuchy

Varane

Sakho

Cole

Ribery

Cabaye

Matuidi

Wilshere

Rooney

Benzama

Of course there's room for a fully fit Hatem when he proves himself.  :coolsmiley:

Should have slipped Gerrard in just to add more hurt to Ronaldo's aching heart as Frank isn't involved and Wor Yohan is.:D

What's more important for you:

England or Newcastle?

Personally, I would rather Newcastle won a corner than England win the World Cup.

TBH us scoring from a corner is about as likely as winning the world cup at this point

I dunno. So much anger around England!

I had no choice about being a Spurs fan as I grew up in the area and my Dad took me, and I had no choice about being an England fan as I grew up in England. Arsehole Spurs managers (not that there were many of those), and arsehole Spurs players (plenty of those) - and idiot chairmen/owners - didn't stop me supporting Spurs, and the same won't stop me supporting England. I don't think I've ever had unrealistic expectations of England, and I only occasionally get angry about the team - for example, the wasting of my favourite players - Glenn Hoddle, and eventually Chris Waddle. We have had basic cultural and structural problems that have left us with a bit of a shortfall on technically adept players, and a line-up that changes every game, so I can't feel too disappointed about our performances. We do about par, for our talent.

I think it would be absolutely fantastic if we won the World Cup. I don't feel threatened/irritated by the influx of part-time supporters around the big tournaments - apart from any hooligan, racist pricks - in contrast, I actually used to like the feeling of togetherness. I used to work with a massive Arsenal fan - really good guy, we used to play footy together - and I remember jumping up and down and hugging him when Sol scored that (disallowed) header against Argentina. I've had some ace times watching England in the pub, or at home.

England World Cup win versus Spurs League win? Spurs every time. England World Cup win versus Spurs cup win? That's closer, but I've had the luxury of several Spurs cup wins in my time supporting them. At least if England win the World Cup, more people can share in it.

Obviously feel free to hoy in the abuse for no Lampard. :thup:

Abuse. :lol:

Don't think you could play Cabaye and Wilshere together, like. Sissoko or Lampard would have to be in there for me, fwiw. Like Debuchy but I think Richards and Johnson are probably better. Anyway, I'll leave it there. I learnt that it's silly to unfavourably compare our lot since I wasted 3 days of my life arguing with all and sundry on here when I said Drogba was better than Owen.

Not sure folks from Newcastle are going to give you much of a balanced view on how the English support England vs their club.

Why?

Most people from Newcastle tend to care a lot more about being Geordie than being English. A lot of separation the from London-based national team, and we tend to have pretty different personality traits from your standard Londonite.

It's exactly the same down south tbh, in my experience at least.

Quite a few of the football loving blokes at work didn't even realise the game was on tonight.

At least conscientious team player Jermain will get his first goal of 2013.

:lol: Such anger at a young age.

Hope he gets a couple of tap ins tonight anyway. He's always there when you need him. It's all about goals.

Newcastle play week in week out, I go to see Newcastle as much as I can, every week is a new build up for a match. England play once in a while, I don't get to see them play at the stadium (seen an U21 though). Whenever they play it seems like they are distracting Newcastle. I've invested far more into Newcastle both emotionally, financially, and time/dedication wise.

At least conscientious team player Jermain will get his first goal of 2013.

:lol: Such anger at a young age.

Hope he gets a couple of tap ins tonight anyway. He's always there when you need him. It's all about goals.

I think 3 goals will put him in the top 20 highest scorers. Not too Alonso.