The England Thread

Pilko

Welbeck simply needs to get out of Manu and stop beîng a sub or backup player. His game would improve dramatically playing every game elsewhere.

100% agree.

Really don't rate him much currently; a change in club is absolutely imperative for him.

Welbeck is heading towards the age where he needs to be the main man somewhere to really progress properly. When the mackems had him on loan he was largely poor, which is fucking funny, but I think if he made 25+ starts this coming season in a 7th-12th placed side he'd really explode as a quality player.

Welbeck simply needs to get out of Manu and stop beîng a sub or backup player. His game would improve dramatically playing every game elsewhere.

100% agree.

Really don't rate him much currently; a change in club is absolutely imperative for him.

A move to your lot probably wouldn't be the worst career change in the world. Would probably benefit both teams too.

More down to Welbeck himself, does he want to go to somewhere like Everton, to play week in week out and develop his talent. Or is happy to be around Man Utd's first team being in and out of the side. He'll still be playing for England regardless of what he does but he'll have more club success at Man Utd but probably more personal success at somewhere like Everton. I think he'll be quite content at Man Utd as long as they are given him enough game time which last season they did, but that is about the best he will ever get there.

Just got caught up on the thread ...

Always fascinated by the Ferguson is coaching the striker out of Rooney comments.

When is Rooney going to take responsibility for the failure to live up to his vast potential. Extraordinary that people still make excuses for him. Probably why he feels he can keep getting away with not putting in the necessary work to reach that potential.

Ferguson didn't coach anything out of Ronaldo did he?! How about the likes of Cantona and Van Nistelrooy? Giggs?

Maybe Rooney is just complacent.

He's a good player, and maybe that's good enough for him. Maybe he just isn't interested in being great.

Maybe he just isn't interested in being great.

That's why he's on the edge of the box waiting for scraps instead of attacking crosses? Nowt wrong with Rooney's effort, he's just playing the game a totally different way.

Saw on Match of the Day last night that Ross Barkley, Daniel Sturridge, and Danny Welbeck were all singled out for glowing assessments from the pundits.

Both Oxelaide Chamberlain and Henderson appeared to have good games as well, judging by the coverage, and I do rate Wilshire and Sterling.

Is the above evidence of the media's tendency to show bias towards English players, or is the immediate future not as bleak as some people tend to make out?

Saw on Match of the Day last night that Ross Barkley, Daniel Sturridge, and Danny Welbeck were all singled out for glowing assessments from the pundits.

Both Oxelaide Chamberlain and Henderson appeared to have good games as well, judging by the coverage, and I do rate Wilshire and Sterling.

Is the above evidence of the media's tendency to show bias towards English players, or is the immediate future not as bleak as some people tend to make out?

It's a predominantly English audience so there's always going to be bias. But it's a little of column B, too. England have some very good players coming through, imo. Not World Cup-winning good, by a long shot, but - on paper - the squad is good enough to smash qualifying rounds and put in a respectable performance at a tournament.

I don't know why we look so shit these days. Manager/lack of passion/whatever. There are more significant reasons than 'the players aren't good enough' for why we're miles away from winning a major tournament.

I don't know why we look so s*** these days. Manager/lack of passion/whatever. There are more significant reasons than 'the players aren't good enough' for why we're miles away from winning a major tournament.

Are there really other reasons other than not being good enough? How many English players were in last seasons team of the year for instance? Ye should be able to beat Ireland and Scotland easily I agree but ye don't have a better team than Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland, Brazil or Argentina anyway.

Time for a bit of bias from myself, but Barkley was the best player on the pitch on Saturday. More impressive than Baines, Fellaini, Pienaar, Mirallas, or any Norwich player. Superb composure on the ball, played like a seasoned pro and a fucking class goal. Yeah, a few errors but they came through a drive and ambition to make things happen, and something he'll - at this rate - pick up very fast.

Delighted he looks like he's finally getting a consistent chance. Something he didn't get under Moyes.

Time for a bit of bias from myself, but Barkley was the best player on the pitch on Saturday. More impressive than Baines, Fellaini, Pienaar, Mirallas, or any Norwich player. Superb composure on the ball, played like a seasoned pro and a f***ing class goal. Yeah, a few errors but they came through a drive and ambition to make things happen, and something he'll - at this rate - pick up very fast.

Delighted he looks like he's finally getting a consistent chance. Something he didn't get under Moyes.

Wasn't he only playing becasue Gibsion was injured? Or is he now first choice pick?