The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Haris Vuckic

Apart from Wilshire's ''Back to Square one'' bravado about footballing style he's pretty much right.

Diego Costa is a brazilian who has been plying his trade in Spain for the last 6 or 7 years (i think it's that long), last two or three years when he moved from getafe to atletico Madrid have seen a huge leap in performance.

Spain are quite nonchalant about him being Brazilian and playing for Sapin, if he's good enough and can qualify then get him in the team...

N.B. Spanish culture embraces "picardia" (being crafty/sly), which can be seen quite clearly in their interpretation of "fair play" (watch how theatrical fouls are) and current Government representatives etc...etc..etc..

Play for Brazil then. Too many loopholes to pick and choose which international country you want to play for imo.

He already has done. He's been capped twice.

"We are English. We tackle hard, are tough on the pitch and are hard to beat.

"We have great characters. You think of Spain and you think technical but you think of England and you think they are brave and they tackle hard. We have to remember that."

Oh dear.

I was really depressed when I read that... and this is Wilshere. One of our more technical and talented players.

Yup.

Clearly his brain is used to move his legs. I would have thought that a modern day player brought up in a supposedly different mind-set wouldn't be coming out with an attitude that died out in the early nineties.

Diego Costa is a brazilian who has been plying his trade in Spain for the last 6 or 7 years (i think it's that long), last two or three years when he moved from getafe to atletico Madrid have seen a huge leap in performance.

Spain are quite nonchalant about him being Brazilian and playing for Sapin, if he's good enough and can qualify then get him in the team...

N.B. Spanish culture embraces "picardia" (being crafty/sly), which can be seen quite clearly in their interpretation of "fair play" (watch how theatrical fouls are) and current Government representatives etc...etc..etc..

Play for Brazil then. Too many loopholes to pick and choose which international country you want to play for imo.

I thought if you had a senior cap you couldn't play for anyone else? That's why Sterling made a pointless appearance last season to keep Jamaica away

That Wilshere quote is shocking tbh.

I don't think England will ever be relevant in world football again.

That mindset seems to be ingrained even in your more technical players.

The game has moved on and left England very far behind.

I thought if you had a senior cap you couldn't play for anyone else? That's why Sterling made a pointless appearance last season to keep Jamaica away

No idea, they were both friendlies in 2013 which makes it worse.

This Januzaj thing is extremely cringe worthy and desperate.

All based on that one performance the other day?

I read an article in the paper the other day where the journalist was comparing him to Messi. It was astonishing.

The press, fergie and Man Utd fans wanked over Macheda when he burst on the scene, think i'll reserve judgement just for now. Farce that we are trying to poach him in the first place, it's gone bonkers this whole system of living in the country for a few years so you can now play for them.

I actually like Januzaj a lot. Looks a good player, but this reaction from all and sundry has been ridiculous.

Playing in a friendly does not tie you down to that FA.

He'd be better off playing for Belgium if he aim to achieve anything in international football.

Since he was born in Belgium, and lived there for his first 16 years of his life, it goes without saying that he is Belgian. Ridiculous that it's even up for discussion who he should play for.

Guest neesy111

He'd be better off playing for Belgium if he aim to achieve anything in international football.

Since he was born in Belgium, and lived there for his first 16 years of his life, it goes without saying that he is Belgian. Ridiculous that it's even up for discussion who he should play for.

:thup:

Wilshere's clearly not the brightest of lads.

Comes across as an almighty prick generally, IMO.

100% agree. In that one quote from this knuckle dragger we have one of the reasons why we (England) will not win any major tournament in most of our lifetimes...short sighted and so backward,

Maybe he's making his play for the EDL leadership now that there is a vacancy.

Good to see his fairly innocuous comments have been blown thoroughly out of proportion.

Fwiw, my thoughts on him generally have very little to do with these comments. I think they were unnecessary but fairly off-the-cuff. Much ado about nothing.

Good to see his fairly innocuous comments have been blown thoroughly out of proportion.

Fwiw, my thoughts on him generally have very little to do with these comments. I think they were unnecessary but fairly off-the-cuff. Much ado about nothing.

Fair enough and I can totally understand why people don't like him. Big fan myself, love for us to produce that kind of player even if he was half as good.

Fair enough and I can totally understand why people don't like him. Big fan myself, love for us to produce that kind of player even if he was half as good.

Depends if we're talking about the player or the person - because they illicit 2 entirely different reactions from myself. He should be the fulcrum of our midfield for the next 10 years if he lives up to his potential.