The England Thread

Pilko

Lambert, Milner and Forster out for Rodriguez, Somebody Else and Ruddy.

Good squad, though.

Have to agree with the last part. If Rooney-Sturridge can perform I don't see why England can't win their group. The only real weakness I see is that unfortunately that midfield doesn't have the same legs without Wilshere and Hart is a liability at times.

Ashley Cole will be the big call. Before season started he would have been my first name on the team sheet. However I've always believed if you aren't starting games for your club, you shouldn't be starting games for country if there's good competition, and the left back spot is red hot with it.

Fair comment. I reckon Johnson himself has deserved at least a chance in the squad though.

Really? He was ok for about a month but over than that he's been poor for them.

I don't watch much sunderland tbh, must have watched them loads that month. :lol: Have always thought he was a canny player though, and he's had some decent run-outs for England too IIRC.

Always thought he was a bit of a MOTD player but each to their own. :thup:

Lambert, Milner and Forster out for Rodriguez, Somebody Else and Ruddy.

Good squad, though.

Have to agree with the last part. If Rooney-Sturridge can perform I don't see why England can't win their group. The only real weakness I see is that unfortunately that midfield doesn't have the same legs without Wilshere and Hart is a liability at times.

Barkley & Henderson are both more dynamic than Wilshere for me, he also seems to slow the game down and overplay a lot.

I really hope we take our blatantly class players and not the likes of Milner and Cleverley.

Starting to wonder if I'm even arsed about Wilshere as well, incidentally. Take him, for sure, but I don't think he should be a guaranteed starter. Would be more than happy with someone like Barkley in there instead. Maybe even Henderson.

Hope Rodriguez goes. Starting to look a really good player.

I don't know really. I just hope he puts them together as a team, rather than individuals, cos we've got some class players. No reason why a team comprised of Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lallana, Walcott, Lampard/Gerrard (the former, preferably, for me) - all with a developed understanding - can't have a good tournament.

And not Adam Johnson, ffs. He's a mackem, for a start, and he's not that special. Had a decent flash of form but has looked fairly disinterested recently. Saw a bit of their game with Palace and he had an okay 20 mins, then invisible for an hour till he went off. I'd even rather take Aaron Lennon if we're just chucking wingers in the squad for the sake of it.

Sorry, treble post, but I reckon I'd take all the Southampton lads tbh. Lambert, Rodriguez, Lallana and Shaw. At least we've got some ready-made continuity there, even if they aren't all on the pitch at the same time.

And not Adam Johnson, ffs. He's a mackem, for a start, and he's not that special. Had a decent flash of form but has looked fairly disinterested recently. Saw a bit of their game with Palace and he had an okay 20 mins, then invisible for an hour till he went off. I'd even rather take Aaron Lennon if we're just chucking wingers in the squad for the sake of it.

Fortunately neither will be anywhere near.

GK - Hart, Forster, Ruddy

FB - Johnson, Walker, Baines, Shaw

CB - Cahill, Jagielka, Smalling, Caulker

CM - Gerrard, Carrick, Barkley, Wilshere

LM/RM - Oxlade, Sterling, Lallana, Rodriguez

CF - Sturridge, Rooney, Welbeck, Lambert

Jones, Henderson, Townsend & Carroll back ups for each position in case of injury.

Hart

Ruddy

Johnson

Shaw

Baines

Jones

Cahill

Caulker

Jagielka

Wilshere

Gerrard

Henderson

Carrick

Barkley

Sterling

Lallana

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Rodriguez

Sturridge

Rooney

Welbeck

Carroll

Dunno who my 23rd man would be. I guess a third, pointless goalkeeper. And with the exception of Theo Walcott, there's no-one else I'd be particularly interested in taking. Even if a space opened up. I'd prefer not to have to put up with Cleverley/Milners faces, even if they didn't play a game.

Not sure how you could make the call to take Smalling over Jones either. Smalling is good but Jones is better, and more versatile.

I'd certainly take Jones ahead of Smalling. I reckon both will go though.

Don't really rate Jones as an international player, he's almost too PL currently. Being shit in more positions than Smalling isn't that much of a fillip either.

EDIT: agree with Tooj below.