The England Thread

Pilko

Rooney at 18 was just not a terrific footballer and explosive athlete, but he also had a great motor that just kept running.

He's lost a lot of that sudden explosiveness, athleticism and non stop energy. At just 28 it's pretty surprising, as he should be peaking in these areas now.

It's his style of living.

Compare him with Cristiano Ronaldo who does everything for football and lives without alcohol and all that. It does show eventually.

Guest neesy111

Rooney at 18 was just not a terrific footballer and explosive athlete, but he also had a great motor that just kept running.

He's lost a lot of that sudden explosiveness, athleticism and non stop energy. At just 28 it's pretty surprising, as he should be peaking in these areas now.

It's his style of living.

Compare him with Cristiano Ronaldo who does everything for football and lives without alcohol and all that. It does show eventually.

Ronaldo is probably the best athlete I've seen in how he looks after himself.

Rooney's going to have to start playing a lot in deeper in the next few years, like. Change his game a bit like Shearer did.

I prefer Rooney playing deeper, agree he needs to mould himself there now. When he is up front and the game isn't feeding him much of the ball he tends to drop really deep anyway, which is annoying as then there is nobody up front to fill the space he leaves which undermines our attacks. Prefer he had a role to play deeper and make use of his creativity and passing range to feed players like Sturridge. If only we had a second lad that could play up with him of similar goal scoring ability.

List of players who deserve to play RB for England more than Glen Johnson:

Clyne

Chambers

Flanagan

Stones

Wilkinson

Simpson

Jenkinson

It's absolutely baffling that he is in the squad after the season he had, and worse, the undisputed starting RB. If Harry takes him this summer, I won't say a single bad word about him again,.

Rooney would still be great in a classic 4-4-2 with less responsibility to drop deep imo, but he's not going to get in that position for club nor country and instead is going to be tried as a playmaker he is not.

Really think Wilshire and Barkley have to start alongside Llana, as They all naturally pass and move well. Sterling should also start, and should be out wide to utilise his pace more.

Hodgson on may have to alternate between Rooney and Sturridge upfront.

I'd have Wilshere over Henderson, at least. Looked good in his cameo tonight.

Welbeck needs to f*** off and sign for West Brom or Stoke so I never have to see him play for England ever again.

:thup:

I'm not sure whether it's fitness or coaching related to how he's changed as a player.  Probably both to blame.

I also think his arrogance and ego is playing a part too, I think he doesn't feel he needs to run as much as he's conserving energy for the moments that warrants him running/chasing things down in his mind. When he was younger and less experienced he had something to prove and was more humble, so gave his all. By sounds of things he doesn't work as hard on his fitness and look after his body as the best of the best do in the game, so both combined makes him look lazier but he also loses out in adding in goals and chances you create out of nothing form chasing everything down for 90 mins.

I think if Jenkinson actually played first team football he'd be an asset. He's absolutely rapid and has a good cross.

Still think Clyne should be in the squad, been ultra solid this season.

Depressing aint it. Mind you, aspects of other pro's games would be equally astounding if calculated out in a similar fashion. Don't know owt about the programme but they should do it with a few top athletes.

Think Portugal will have a good chance of winning the world cup.

They can play in the climate, which is a great advantage over Germany, England etc...

Also, this will probably be Ronaldo's tournament that he hits at his absolute peak. He's probably carrying them to the final on his own.

Think Portugal will have a good chance of winning the world cup.

They can play in the climate, which is a great advantage over Germany, England etc...

You might want to research the Portuguese/Spanish climate a bit, mate.