The England Thread

Pilko

I just don't think Roys the right man in the long term and I'll put good money on him going after 2016.

We want to play fluid passing football with the onus being on the front foot, that's great but that's not a Roy Hodgson team, it's not the type of teams Roy has built his whole career. We are now starting to get attacking technical players slowly but surely breaking through but not a manger or the coaches to boot.

So I suppose the million pound question is which English managers have a track record of building fluid attacking teams?

Front foot attacking football?  I can think of one....

I just don't think Roys the right man in the long term and I'll put good money on him going after 2016.

We want to play fluid passing football with the onus being on the front foot, that's great but that's not a Roy Hodgson team, it's not the type of teams Roy has built his whole career. We are now starting to get attacking technical players slowly but surely breaking through but not a manger or the coaches to boot.

So I suppose the million pound question is which English managers have a track record of building fluid attacking teams?

Front foot attacking football?  I can think of one....

:lol: Only way we'll ever get rid of the cunt.

Guest Howaythetoon

Whoever gave a shout out for Rafa, he would be a very good appointment for England.  :thup:

As for England, we need to make wholesale changes to our entire game if we are to ever succeed at this level and we need to start at the very root of the cause - kids' football.

We then need to work our way up and into every layer of our game, from the football pyramid right to the Premier League itself. Fans also need to change, in fact the entire fabric of our game and culture needs to change.

Kids' football - big pitches, big goals, an emphasis on power, strength, physicality, speed and over coaching. As Wenger said, the game is the best coach. Let kids play for the sheer joy and fun, let them develop their own game.

Mams and dads - you mean well, but your kid doesn't need shouted at from the touchline or instructed on how to play. Let them enjoy themselves. Kevin Keegan, one of our nation's greatest ever players and one of NUFC's greatest ever manager's pretty much lays his whole football philosophy and his success at his dad's feet who turned up to watch KK play, but never tried to coach him or inhibit him. That's the way it needs to be. Encourage not discourage.

Same applies to coaches.

Also big pitches and big goals?! Smaller pitches, smaller goals all the way up until a player is 14.

Also school football - its a joke these days, its far too competitive and too centred around the bigger lads.

Fans on the stands - we all love a crunching tackle, but give me Colo over fucking Steven Taylor any day of the week. We all love to see our team's pour forward too, but patient possession football is a good thing too. Too many fans demand crunching tackles, players running around 'grafting' etc. and it is to the detriment of our game.

Look at Ben Arfa... our manager doesn't pick him because he doesn't defend enough or work hard enough and a large percentage of fans would agree with him - the fucking idiots.

The Premier League - I'd make it a rule that only 6 foreigners can feature in the starting 11. I'm not one of these anti-foreigner people, they have been the best thing to happen to our game, but our youngsters are simply not getting games and if they do and do well, they soon get snapped up by the bigger clubs and end up on the bench or out on loan, constantly in limbo.

Its about developing our younger players and giving them the time to do so.

Look at Daniel Sturridge - from Villa to Coventry to Man City to Bolton to Cheslea to Liverpool. Its a minor miracle he has made it into the top top player he has become and that's undoubtedly down to an outrageous talent more than anything else. Lesser talented players have no chance really.

Unless we give them the chance, that is.

Lallana and Lambert for example have proved themselves to be very good players, but both are coming towards the tail end of their careers and they have had to do it the bloody hard way. Who is to say if Liverpool had of given Lambert his chance, they would have had a 20 a season man for a decade or so?!

Its too easy to not give a young kid a chance though. Demands of fans for big name players and instant success. Too much money from SKY etc. and the need to play catch up with others makes it damned hard for any youngster coming through unless they have instant world-class ability ala Wayne Rooney, Gazza et al.

Its not just that though, look at our own Carroll. One big money move has fucked his career. Ha he stayed at NUFC as limited as I think he was or is, he would have went to this WC and maybe even started. He is now a journey man striker who will never be the player his early potential and promise showed. Too much too soon. Greed. Its rife in our game from clubs to players.

There is so much wrong with our game really it needs ripped up and started over again.

Ironically some of the good stuff that is happening is at conference level and lower down the league RE academies, coaching etc.

For a nation as obsessed with football as our own, our success or lack of at international level is nothing short of embarrassing really. Unless we make major changes starting now, we will go a hundred years or so without winning a major honour.

Uruguay, Costa Rica et al are better equipped for international football than we are and that says it all!

Guest palnese

I hope he doesn't see Smalling as Jagielka's long term replacement.

That's probably John Stones.

Foster ffs.

Foster's a good keeper.

There's just no point in playing him other than sentiment. Play Forster and see what he can do, or play Hart and try and get him to stop shitting his pants whilst wearing an England shirt.

Forster's not got the athleticism to ever be a regular starter for England. Foster's 31, approaching his prime as a keeper and might well be needed at the next tournament in a starting capacity if Hart shits the bed or gets injured.