Given Having His Say On SSN

Crumpy Gunt

What do you make of the idiot football fans who have tried to completely overlook your legacy at the club just because you were (rightly) desperate to get away from the moronic management that was clearly sending the club down the shitter?

"they've got a point in despising me as i tried to bleed the club of every penny possible  and get a move instead of just putting in a transfer request when i wanted to move. yes, i am just a greedy,underhanded t***."

Because we know that if you put in a transfer request the supporters would have understood and been happy with you leaving for more money and better prospects elsewhere.

'can I see your collection of medals that you have gained since you left the club?'

Bet he's gutted he doesn't have a Championship winners medal to go alongside his intertoto one.

well going from myself,midds and many of my friends a lot of people felt this way. others may feel differently.

He did put in a transfer request in the end. Not going to hold it against him for trying it on first. If anything it should have strengthened the club's position in negotiating a price with City (though not much admittedly).

He saw what happened with Milner where the club asked him to keep his transfer request quiet (which was to do with them not renegotiating his contract which they verbally agreed to do when he signed it, and not about wanting to leave), and then announced it when it suited them to make it look like Milner was forcing their hand at the end of the window when clubs were interested. So I don't blame him for releasing that statement to the press and trying to be in control of the situation. Obviously it didn't do much good, as it doesn't matter how or when you leave the club, unless you're being sold to get someone better in or retire you're a "Judas mercenary cunt" and will get booed when you come back, but I don't blame him for trying.

I suspect that it was the same as the Carroll situation, player knows another clubs interested, players agent is told how much money new club is will to offer in wages.  Player goes to Mike and Derek, i" want you to match this wage thats being put in fron of me by another team".

Derek and Mike say "no, you want that kind of money, then you need to put in a transfer request"

He left midseason when every other player who 'was desperate to leave' in the terribly awful conditions at the club ( :rolleyes: ) managed to hold off until the Summer.

That's why I forget what he did for us. You can be the greatest of players, a stab in the back is still a stab in the back.

Yeah, like Owen, Martins, Duff, Beye etc wouldn't have left - and like none of them will have been actively looking for a move - that same January. The suggestion that any of them is more loyal than Given just because they stayed and went through the motions is beyond absurd.

Where did I say they were more loyal?

My point was, they were desperate to go and they didn't go until we were gone, and they were heartless bastards. If Given had done the same, there would be no animosity from any fan IMO.

What do you make of the idiot football fans who have tried to completely overlook your legacy at the club just because you were (rightly) desperate to get away from the moronic management that was clearly sending the club down the shitter?

"they've got a point in despising me as i tried to bleed the club of every penny possible  and get a move instead of just putting in a transfer request when i wanted to move. yes, i am just a greedy,underhanded t***."

Because we know that if you put in a transfer request the supporters would have understood and been happy with you leaving for more money and better prospects elsewhere.

'can I see your collection of medals that you have gained since you left the club?'

Bet he's gutted he doesn't have a Championship winners medal to go alongside his intertoto one.

well going from myself,midds and many of my friends a lot of people felt this way. others may feel differently.

He did put in a transfer request in the end. Not going to hold it against him for trying it on first. If anything it should have strengthened the club's position in negotiating a price with City (though not much admittedly).

He saw what happened with Milner where the club asked him to keep his transfer request quiet (which was to do with them not renegotiating his contract which they verbally agreed to do when he signed it, and not about wanting to leave), and then announced it when it suited them to make it look like Milner was forcing their hand at the end of the window when clubs were interested. So I don't blame him for releasing that statement to the press and trying to be in control of the situation. Obviously it didn't do much good, as it doesn't matter how or when you leave the club, unless you're being sold to get someone better in or retire you're a "Judas mercenary c***" and will get booed when you come back, but I don't blame him for trying.

he would have been in control of the situation had he put in the transfer request when he should have. i don't blame him wanting away but to do it in a way as to try and grab as much cash as possible  was just despicable. no honour, no integrity, no dignity as he coulod easily have said he had put a request in.

any player knows when he is signing his contract that the club may say no when he asks to leave it's part of the trade off that the clubs can't cancel it just cos the player is crap.

re other players and their requests. i have no problem with milner and the only problem i have with carroll is that he's tried to spin it so he comes out smelling of roses.

re other players and their requests. i have no problem with milner and the only problem i have with carroll is that he's tried to spin it so he comes out smelling of roses.

Check Pardew out for spinning. My favorite  one was "I’ve got contracts to renew within 18 months – Joey Barton, Enrique. So if I didn’t have the Andy Carroll money, could I do that?"  should of squeezed Tiote in as well.

He saw what happened with Milner where the club asked him to keep his transfer request quiet (which was to do with them not renegotiating his contract which they verbally agreed to do when he signed it, and not about wanting to leave), and then announced it when it suited them to make it look like Milner was forcing their hand at the end of the window when clubs were interested. So I don't blame him for releasing that statement to the press and trying to be in control of the situation. Obviously it didn't do much good, as it doesn't matter how or when you leave the club, unless you're being sold to get someone better in or retire you're a "Judas mercenary c***" and will get booed when you come back, but I don't blame him for trying.

he would have been in control of the situation had he put in the transfer request when he should have. i don't blame him wanting away but to do it in a way as to try and grab as much cash as possible  was just despicable. no honour, no integrity, no dignity as he coulod easily have said he had put a request in.

any player knows when he is signing his contract that the club may say no when he asks to leave it's part of the trade off that the clubs can't cancel it just cos the player is crap.

For all we know the club may have got more money out of City because Given didn't put a TR in straight away. Not saying this is how it happened, but it could have gone (numbers are made up):

MCFC -> NUFC "We'll give you £5m for Given max"

NUFC -> MCFC "Well we'll take £5m, but we're going to have to give Given £500k as a loyalty bonus because he hasn't put in a TR so that means we'll only get £4.5m. You'll have to make up the difference. Remember Barton."

MCFC -> NUFC "OK we'll give you £5.5m"

NUFC -> Given "We'll sell you to City but only if you give up your loyalty bonus"

Given -> NUFC "OK here's a transfer request"

He left midseason when every other player who 'was desperate to leave' in the terribly awful conditions at the club ( :rolleyes: ) managed to hold off until the Summer.

That's why I forget what he did for us. You can be the greatest of players, a stab in the back is still a stab in the back.

Yeah, like Owen, Martins, Duff, Beye etc wouldn't have left - and like none of them will have been actively looking for a move - that same January. The suggestion that any of them is more loyal than Given just because they stayed and went through the motions is beyond absurd.

My point was, they were desperate to go and they didn't go until we were gone, and they were heartless bastards. If Given had done the same, there would be no animosity from any fan IMO.

And my point is clear: given the opportunity to go that January, any of those and more WOULD have gone - and without a backwards glance.

Yet you somehow suggest they made a moral decision not to jump ship. Bizarre.

"they've got a point in despising me as i tried to bleed the club of every penny possible  and get a move instead of just putting in a transfer request when i wanted to move. yes, i am just a greedy,underhanded t***."

he would have been in control of the situation had he put in the transfer request when he should have. i don't blame him wanting away but to do it in a way as to try and grab as much cash as possible  was just despicable. no honour, no integrity, no dignity as he coulod easily have said he had put a request in.

For all we know the club may have got more money out of City because Given didn't put a TR in straight away. Not saying this is how it happened, but it could have gone (numbers are made up):

NUFC -> MCFC "Well we'll take £5m, but we're going to have to give Given £500k as a loyalty bonus because he hasn't put in a TR so that means we'll only get £4.5m. You'll have to make up the difference. Remember Barton."

NUFC -> Given "We'll sell you to City but only if you give up your loyalty bonus"

it's possible but has little to do with his origianl engineering to get a move as if citeh were interested back then then he'd have kept his gob shut.

And my point is clear: given the opportunity to go that January, any of those and more WOULD have gone - and without a backwards glance.

Yet you somehow suggest they made a moral decision not to jump ship. Bizarre.

"given the opportunity to go"? He handed in a transfer request, the others didn't.

"they've got a point in despising me as i tried to bleed the club of every penny possible  and get a move instead of just putting in a transfer request when i wanted to move. yes, i am just a greedy,underhanded t***."

he would have been in control of the situation had he put in the transfer request when he should have. i don't blame him wanting away but to do it in a way as to try and grab as much cash as possible  was just despicable. no honour, no integrity, no dignity as he coulod easily have said he had put a request in.

it's possible but has little to do with his origianl engineering to get a move as if citeh were interested back then then he'd have kept his gob shut.

But you just said it wasn't about him keeping his gob shut, it's about him putting himself in the shop window but not putting in a transfer request. ???

But you just said it wasn't about him keeping his gob shut, it's about him putting himself in the shop window but not putting in a transfer request. ???

you didn't read the "if citeh were interested" bit then ?

he enginnered to get a move before putting his request in...which is wrong.

had he known citeh were interested the choice is to keep your gob shut or put a request in.

plain enough ?

Good bloke & best keeper I have seen play for NUFC. Set the standard for the AC deal. Sell late, followed by joke bids & then PR saying it was all the players fault.

goes around spouting s**** about some of the local journos' private lives to the Rep of Ireland squad too.

Hopefully it was one of Ryder/Oliver.

Shay is a goddamn traitor and I'm so glad he doesn't get a match. Hope he never plays for another club again that piece of shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given will this week discover the extent of his latest shoulder injury.

The Republic of Ireland international, who has slipped to second choice behind Joe Hart at Eastlands, did not take his usual place on the bench for Sunday's FA Cup win over Notts County.

Given, 34, has had surgery on his left shoulder following a dislocation in the past, and City boss Roberto Mancini confirmed he missed the 5-0 rout after picking up another shoulder setback.

"He has a shoulder problem and next week he will go to the doctor in London to see if he needs surgery," Mancini revealed.

Given has made just four appearances for City this season, none of which have come in the Premier League, and is widely expected to leave the club in search of first-team football this summer.

Someone on here recently commented that after he got that stomach injury against West Ham, he seemed to be prone to injury and niggles.

I think even if he had been Abu Dhabi City's first choice keeper, he would have been in and out through injury.