Given Having His Say On SSN

Crumpy Gunt

Guest firetotheworks

Sorry like but someone who loves a club does not leave as probably their best player half way through a relegation battle. I dont doubt his love for the club, and I loved him as a player for us, but leaving like that for whatever the reason only has a detrimental effect on the team and the fans. He could have swallowed his pride until the end of the season and left as a legend. Instead for me he is one but with blot against his name.

Not sure how anyone can have a go at him, with the wonderful service he gave to the club. He deserved to be treat a lot better in the end. I kind of wish that one of the players (Given included) would have spoke their mind when all this kicked off. Instead - they all chose to keep their trap shut. It's a bit late him offering his thoughts now, if I'm honest.

Fair point, but to say that he's not entitled to an opinion is just daft.

Sorry like but someone who loves a club does not leave as probably their best player half way through a relegation battle. I dont doubt his love for the club, and I loved him as a player for us, but leaving like that for whatever the reason only has a detrimental effect on the team and the fans. He could have swallowed his pride until the end of the season and left as a legend. Instead for me he is one but with blot against his name.

But the players who stayed are blameless? What kind of logic is that?

Guest firetotheworks

Where did I say that?

Not sure how anyone can have a go at him, with the wonderful service he gave to the club. He deserved to be treat a lot better in the end. I kind of wish that one of the players (Given included) would have spoke their mind when all this kicked off. Instead - they all chose to keep their trap shut. It's a bit late him offering his thoughts now, if I'm honest.

Fair point, but to say that he's not entitled to an opinion is just daft.

Never said he wasn't. He (and others) could have spoken earlier - a lot earlier.

:clap:

Where did I say that?

I just lost my answer to you. Anyway, in summary: you didn't say that. :lol: But, if we're playing the blame game, I think you have to look at the players who remained. I can see your point, but isn't Given allowed to say, 'Enough's enough. I've given everything here and no one else seems to give a toss.' I'm sure he never thought it would turn out like this.

Aye, he was only for what, 12 years? half of which we were s***. Only our 3rd most capped player! That un-loyal b****** eh, how dare he leave for a club with ambition..

He did more for the club than any of the current lot.

Including jumping ship when we needed him most  :thdn:

When we needed him most? When we treated him like s*** once again more like..

I wish someone would pay me £50k a week and treat me as bad  :facepalm:

How about 80k+ and being treated well, with a team full of stars, manager and ambition?

Whatever the reason? He had a chance to dramatically improve himself. I know most of us would jump at the chance of moving jobs if we could do so. Why would Shay Given be any different? He owed us nothing; year after year he had been critical of the club's lack of progress and year after year he got all talk and no action from his owners and managers. He only has a few more years in him at the highest level. There were no guarantees a chance to improve yourself and be in with a chance of winning something would ever come by again. When the chance presents itself, you take it, simple as.

Guest firetotheworks

Where did I say that?

I just lost my answer to you. Anyway, in summary: you didn't say that. :lol: But, if we're playing the blame game, I think you have to look at the players who remained. I can see your point, but isn't Given allowed to say, 'Enough's enough. I've given everything here and no one else seems to give a toss.' I'm sure he never thought it would turn out like this.

Yeah, of course he is, and obviously im not solely blaming him. But leaving in January is absolutely shit, and imo totally unacceptable for someone that loves the club, if he truly does love the club then hes obviously too stupid to realise the negative effect him leaving would have.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, he was only for what, 12 years? half of which we were s***. Only our 3rd most capped player! That un-loyal b****** eh, how dare he leave for a club with ambition..

He did more for the club than any of the current lot.

Including jumping ship when we needed him most  :thdn:

When we needed him most? When we treated him like s*** once again more like..

I wish someone would pay me £50k a week and treat me as bad  :facepalm:

How about 80k+ and being treated well, with a team full of stars, manager and ambition?

Whatever the reason? He had a chance to dramatically improve himself. I know most of us would jump at the chance of moving jobs if we could do so. Why would Shay Given be any different? He owed us nothing; year after year he had been critical of the club's lack of progress and year after year he got all talk and no action from his owners and managers. He only has a few more years in him at the highest level. There were no guarantees a chance to improve yourself and be in with a chance of winning something would ever come by again. When the chance presents itself, you take it, simple as.

Absolutely, but my point isn't that, its that the chance would have presented itself in the summer too, its the timing of it, not the actual occurrence of it.

But leaving in January is absolutely shit,

I have never quite understood that. We had half the season left. Anyone leaving in January hardly affects the end result of getting relegated.

If we didnt have the squad to cope with him leaving thats the clubs fault.

Guest firetotheworks

But leaving in January is absolutely s***,

I have never quite understood that. We had half the season left. Anyone leaving in January hardly affects the end result of getting relegated.

Of course it effects it. If Ronaldo left Man United in January then it would have an effect on their title bid. You're right about us not having the squad to cover it, but Given asked to leave, he asked to leave probably knowing that he was our best player.

Of course it effects it. If Ronaldo left Man United in January then it would have an effect on their title bid. You're right about us not having the squad to cover it, but Given asked to leave, he asked to leave probably knowing that he was our best player.

Given was negotiating a new contract in December,  so i dont buy the whole 'asked to leave' shit one bit.  In his press conference seemed mega pissed at our owners and also who thought we would ACTUALLY get relegated in January i didn't.

I didn't even think we were in a battle back then.

I wasn't here at the time, but my impression was Given went to the management and said, 'Sort this out or I'm off,' and they basically said, '...'

Is the right answer.

Guest firetotheworks

Given was negotiating a new contract in December,  so i dont buy the whole 'asked to leave' s*** one bit.  In his press conference seemed mega pissed at our owners and also who thought we would ACTUALLY get relegated in January i didn't.

I didn't even think we were in a battle back then.

He's said he wanted to go, they were going to make him put in a transfer request. Thats what he was pissed off about. I dont see how its shit. As for the relegation point, we didnt win a game in january, just the one draw against West Ham in fact. The last time we'd won was against Pompey away, mid December.

Guest sittingontheball

I don't think we went down because of goals conceded due to poor goalkeeping. It was lack of goals scored.

Guest BooBoo

Shay Given is a coward who didn't have the stomach for a scrap. Why did he have to go to City in January, they weren't going to do anything this season? If he'd gone this summer then fair enough, but he bailed out when the club some claim he loves, needed him the most.

Shay Given has saved this club from relegation on more than one occasion.

He has been a fantastic servant to the club in his 12 years here.

If I was him i would have pissed off a lot earlier to a team more suited to his talent.

To call him a coward shows what dickheads some of our fans can be.

Guest firetotheworks

If I was him i would have pissed off a lot earlier to a team more suited to his talent.

What do you call someone who leaves his soldiers in the middle of a battle they're losing?

What do you call someone who leaves his soldiers in the middle of a battle they're losing?

are you seriously comparing this to war? :rolleyes:

Guest BooBoo

The lad was paid a fortune and was backed to the hilt by supporters who really loved him. When we needed him the most he buggered off to the next rich kids on the block.

Yet we're still supposed to kiss his arse and offer thanks? Feck that.