Given Having His Say On SSN

Crumpy Gunt

Guest firetotheworks

Shay Given has saved this club from relegation on more than one occasion.

He has been a fantastic servant to the club in his 12 years here.

If I was him i would have pissed off a lot earlier to a team more suited to his talent.

To call him a coward shows what dickheads some of our fans can be.

What do you call someone who leaves his soldiers in the middle of a battle they're losing?

are you seriously comparing this to war? :rolleyes:

No, its an analogy.

People forget we could have easily stayed up without him, Harper wasn't that bad, in no way was it his fault. It wasn't like we were absolutely nailed on to go down when he left, he was just sick to death of playing in a terrible team run by one fucking wanker too many. Should be thankful he stayed so long.

Guest BooBoo

People forget we could have easily stayed up without him, Harper wasn't that bad, in no way was it his fault. It wasn't like we were absolutely nailed on to go down when he left, he was just sick to death of playing in a terrible team run by one fucking wanker too many. Should be thankful he stayed so long.

Harper, by Premier League standards, is a mediocre goalkeeper.

If I was him i would have pissed off a lot earlier to a team more suited to his talent.

What do you call someone who leaves his soldiers in the middle of a battle they're losing?

are you seriously comparing this to war? :rolleyes:

No, its an analogy.

well.... it's a shit one.

The lad was paid a fortune and was backed to the hilt by supporters who really loved him. When we needed him the most he buggered off to the next rich kids on the block.

Yet we're still supposed to kiss his arse and offer thanks? Feck that.

like the season before?

People forget we could have easily stayed up without him, Harper wasn't that bad, in no way was it his fault. It wasn't like we were absolutely nailed on to go down when he left, he was just sick to death of playing in a terrible team run by one f***ing w***** too many. Should be thankful he stayed so long.

The whole team is mediocre by Premier League standards - that's why we went down.

Or is it easier for you to blame one man?

So way above a lot of the rest of the team then? Not Given's fault we went down, not Harper's either. What I'm saying is he had every right to leave, with Kinnear being offered the 3 year contract by cretin boy, I can understand why he would have wanted to fuck off at the first opportunity.

:thup:

Can understand his wishes to leave, but the correct thing for him to do would have been waiting until the summer. That is, if he really cared about the club as much as he likes to say.

In the end, he didn't, he went after a bigger pay packet.

The lad was paid a fortune and was backed to the hilt by supporters who really loved him. When we needed him the most he buggered off to the next rich kids on the block.

Most players in his positiion would have done the same, players have to be selfish I guess if they want to progress their relatively short careers (ok maybe not so much for a keeper but I would say he is at his peak now).

I will always be a massive fan of Shay Given, I wishhe had stayed but I can see why he left.

Guest The Libertine

i dont buy that "stuck around when we were shit" line. how many of his years here were we in europe? we had decent/very good runs in the champions league and uefa cup, title challenges, 2 cup finals and a charity shield.

NOW we're truly shit and where is he?

he was unhappy about the direction the club was taking so he finally lost patience and decided to leave. Don't tell me our  supporters never cancled season tickets over the years!

We went down because we're shite. Not because Given left us.

he was unhappy about the direction the club was taking so he finally lost patience and decided to leave. Don't tell me our  supporters never cancled season tickets over the years!

I doubt many have canceled them halfway through the season though. They'd wait till the end of the season, something Shay failed to do.

he was unhappy about the direction the club was taking so he finally lost patience and decided to leave. Don't tell me our supporters never cancled season tickets over the years!

We went down because we're shite. Not because Given left us.

Yep. It was obvious the club was going rapidly downhill and a club on the up offered him the opportunity to avoid having relegation on his CV which he took.

Turns out he was right to do so. Don't forget the laughable thrashing we's just taken from Liverpool too, this despite heroics from Given. He was shown no reason whatsoever to stay.

he was "paid a fortune" but still went for the money, eh?

Given is a deserting rat faced cunt, he's tried to leave on more than one occasion when things don't go his own way.

Pathetic how some sad complete thick bastards will support him regardless.

Guest firetotheworks

Fucks sake, no one is saying we went down because Given left. What I am saying though is that he left in the middle of a relegation battle. He was our best player, and if he had any sense he'd know that. Fuck this absolute bollocks about being fed up and it coming to a head. The fact is that whatever problems you may be having you DO NOT leave a club you're supposed to love in the middle of a relegation battle it's losing, you just dont. Ashley may have been the cause for Given to leave, but its only the fans and team who suffer in him leaving. Saying Given wasn't the reason for our relegation is true, but only through hindsight. He left without the benefit of hindsight and in my eyes has a blot against his name because of that, especially when he could have stayed a few months and then left knowing full well he'd done all he could. I wouldn't call him a coward, but I've definitely lost a lot of respect for him.

As far as he was concerned, the opportunity for one last move might not have come around in the summer.

Despite having been at NUFC for as long as he had, and having won FUCK ALL, I think its harsh that the fans begrudge him one last chance to win something

Summary

Did Given leave ONLY for the money?

No.

Was the money ONE of the factors in Given leaving?

Yes.

Was there much to hang around at Newcastle for (Kinnear as boss, lost 1-5 to Liverpool despite heroics)?

No.

Was Given leaving the ONE reason for our relegation?

No no no no no no.

Was Given leaving a factor in our relegation?

Yes.

There is no doubt in my mind that Shay had every right to want to leave - despite all the calamities he's put up with throughout his time at the club (Roeder, Souness, Bramble, Ramage, Boumsong, Babayaro, Onyewu) - there really was nothing left for him. However, he wasn't the only one and if the little Irish twat really did care for this club one iota, he would have waited till the end of the season before moving to City.

Guest firetotheworks

As far as he was concerned, the opportunity for one last move might not have come around in the summer.

Despite having been at NUFC for as long as he had, and having won f*** ALL, I think its harsh that the fans begrudge him one last chance to win something

Do you think that 5 months later nobody would want him? I cant imagine that being the case, and I dont think he would think that either, he knows how highly rated he is.

Despite having been at NUFC for as long as he had, and having won f*** ALL, I think its harsh that the fans begrudge him one last chance to win something

Do you think that 5 months later nobody would want him? I cant imagine that being the case, and I dont think he would think that either, he knows how highly rated he is.

Perhaps thats a decision he had to make.

Also, we can hardly blame him for the transfer window being in January. For all we know he might have wanted to leave when the KK thing kicked off but there was nothing he could do until January.

I seem to remember him being one of the players openly being supportive of Kevin at that time - I think that that could well have been the final straw for him.

Given is a deserting rat faced c***, he's tried to leave on more than one occasion when things don't go his own way.

Pathetic how some sad complete thick bastards will support him regardless.

You are actually a prat.. because people appreciate his contribution of 12 years service and not calling him a cunt it makes them sad thick bastards. 

It must hurt you that he is more part of Newcastle than you will ever be.

If Given had stayed till the end of the season and we still got relegated the dickheads in this thread would still be calling him a coward for leaving.

If I was Given I would have pissed off when Souness became manager and it was obvious we wouldn't see Champions League football again at SJP