Given Having His Say On SSN

Crumpy Gunt

I blame the despicable cunts in charge who made this a place where good players do not want to be.

Sick of people blaming the players while letting the scum at the top off scot free.

I think it's sad how Given couldn't wait 5 months. Shows it was all about the money.

They would of signed someone else most probably.  Ashley didnt have to take the money now did he, or if the sale went through how about investing it into strengthening other areas of the team mm no.

Guest Stephen927

As far as I'm concerned he was at this club for over a decade, he was deserving of a move. He should have moved a long time ago, the timing was shit but I can't blame him for having ambition. Can't really say the same for the likes of Harper who are in their comfort zone here and have no intentions of furthering their own career. He gave the best part of 12 years to this club, he owes us nothing.

Guest firetotheworks

Well, I'm sorry but I live in the real world where when a top player--who finds himself, after over a decade's good service, once more in the mire with his club--is given the opportunity to finish his career at a wealthy, ambitious club challenging for trophies, or at least European competition, owes it himself to give it a shot. Particularly when, as I understand it, he sought assurances that the club would endeavour to puts things right on and off the pitch, and was given nowt, and as such, could only face the grim prospect of another 3/4 years struggle on the pitch and almighty f***-ups off it.

Everyone whining about his loyalty or lack thereof should put themselves in his shoes for a moment. Since SBR, he gave the club plenty time to turn itself around, and it didn't. Is he supposed to throw away his career?

Welcome to big school.

That would be fair enough if he didnt then go on to talk about how he feels for us and that he loves the club. If he said 'look, the club was going nowhere and I want to further myself' then fair enough, but the adage of things along the lines of 'but i love the club, and feel sorry for the fans' etc are empty statements contradicted by the fact that he left us when we needed him most. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say he genuinely thought that January was his only chance to further himself, and that he wouldnt have the chance in the summer. Its still a shitty thing to do to the other players and the fans, exacerbated by the fact that he quite obviously feigned injury to get out of playing a match for us. He chose that enough was enough when we needed him most, there is no getting away from that, and thats what makes it sour for me.

As far as I'm concerned he was at this club for over a decade, he was deserving of a move. He should have moved a long time ago, the timing was s*** but I can't blame him for having ambition. Can't really say the same for the likes of Harper who are in their comfort zone here and have no intentions of furthering their own career. He gave the best part of 12 years to this club, he owes us nothing.

O0

Well, I'm sorry but I live in the real world where when a top player--who finds himself, after over a decade's good service, once more in the mire with his club--is given the opportunity to finish his career at a wealthy, ambitious club challenging for trophies, or at least European competition, owes it himself to give it a shot. Particularly when, as I understand it, he sought assurances that the club would endeavour to puts things right on and off the pitch, and was given nowt, and as such, could only face the grim prospect of another 3/4 years struggle on the pitch and almighty f***-ups off it.

Everyone whining about his loyalty or lack thereof should put themselves in his shoes for a moment. Since SBR, he gave the club plenty time to turn itself around, and it didn't. Is he supposed to throw away his career?

Welcome to big school.

That would be fair enough if he didnt then go on to talk about how he feels for us and that he loves the club. If he said 'look, the club was going nowhere and I want to further myself' then fair enough, but the adage of things along the lines of 'but i love the club, and feel sorry for the fans' etc are empty statements contradicted by the fact that he left us when we needed him most. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and say he genuinely thought that January was his only chance to further himself, and that he wouldnt have the chance in the summer. Its still a shitty thing to do to the other players and the fans, exacerbated by the fact that he quite obviously feigned injury to get out of playing a match for us. He chose that enough was enough when we needed him most, there is no getting away from that, and thats what makes it sour for me.

Yeah, this. He's got a right to request a move to further his professional career, but he shouldn't try to claim the moral high ground.

shay, you are quite probably the best goalkeeper i have seen at nufc but fuck you and fuck right off. the way you went about getting your move was dispicable and highlighted everything that is wrong about football today.

have a nice day mind.(hope it fucking rains on you though)

Guest KeithKettleborough

Well paid, good keeper, long lasting, probably too much say, reliable, legend (possibly tainted now) and decent fella all round it seems.

Although I feel that he could have had many reasons to leave, I think the timing created the feeling that it maybe wasn't so much about ambition (no certainty City were gonna break into the top 4-5 when he left and Uefa Cup was just a silly dream considering the teams that were left in the competition) but maybe the financial package was too much to turn down. If he had left for a top 4 club say or even someone successful in Europe, it may have been better received by many of us but he handled it badly anyway. Many won't forgive which is understandable and the hurt and upset many feel about him, is increased when they hear him speaking about us.

Guess he could have said "no comment", but the cynic in me thinks that probably you don't get paid for that although perhaps he wasn't just being interviewed about the Toon.  :-X

Did stuff for club :thup:

Left at a time when we needed him the most :(

But overall: Shay isn't a NUFC player anymore, so can shut up about NUFC. Until he retires, he should not be commenting at all on NUFC.

But overall: Shay isn't a NUFC player anymore, so can shut up about NUFC. Until he retires, he should not be commenting at all on NUFC.

Journalist asked him a question, he answered it.  No more, no less.

Get over it and harden up.

Guest Phil K

Christ, this thread makes me so angry. If people can't say a good word about Shay Given, then what f***ing hope is there for this club?

Well look at it another way - it's a Man City player having his say about us.

I say again - p*ss off Shay.

If that makes you angry - that really bothers me not one whit.

Many things that irritate you may not bother me either - only diff being I don't expect YOU to change your views to keep ME happy

Crying babies need to realse Shay made the right choice. Christ alive.

Yes, he did.

But that doesn't mean we have to hang on his every f**** word as if it's the word from the heavens for Chrissakes.

YOU and a few others may feel we have to treat Given's utterances with awe, but most of us regard him as what he is.

AN EX-PLAYER WHO WANTED OUT.

I blame the despicable c***s in charge who made this a place where good players do not want to be.

Sick of people blaming the players while letting the scum at the top off scot free.

Ah - now this comment has a bit more nous in it.

Absolutely correct.

BUT - and it is a BIG but - the players are NOT blame free.

I'm surprised at you of all people, Wullie for believing that.

The overwhelming part of blame stands with the "despicable c*nts" as you call them, certainly. (I'd have added "incompetent" too)

And Shay stayed when others were thinking they were" "superstars" and leaving. BUT - he's gone the same route in the end anyway.

So ?

Christ, this thread makes me so angry. If people can't say a good word about Shay Given, then what f***ing hope is there for this club?

Well look at it another way - it's a Man City player having his say about us.

I say again - p*ss off Shay.

What should he have said when asked the question? No comment, I don't play for that club anymore? Be realistic.

I think he left at an inappropriate time which messed us around as a club somewhat, and it rankled. He's done a hell of a lot more for us on the pitch over the last ten years than anyone bar the bloke who took us down at the end of the season though, so for that I'll cut him some slack.

Journalist asked him a question, he answered it.  No more, no less.

Get over it and harden up.

get over it and harden up? :lol:

This is the first comment I have made, and is my opinion. Your response is completely meaningless :lol:

• 3 months later...