BBC: Freddy Shepherd £60m offer for NUFC likely to be accepted

jimmymag
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most people were happy with that summer's transfer dealings tbf.

Hindsight is certainly a wonderful thing, but you can only judge stuff in football using hindsight if you ask me. We thought it was a pretty good summer, but we're not the experts getting paid to do the job right. It's the same as using hindsight to say Robert and Bellamy were brilliant players who turned us into a class team.

Allardyce's problem was that he had sh*t tactics (Smith man-marking Kenwyne Jones in a Wear-Tyne derby?! ffs), played sh*t football, and we were slipping towards the drop zone. If he had spent better and was getting results I don't think Ashley would have given a f*ck if he appointed him or not.

sadly we can't afford to be picky, the current situation is dire and under ashley we're well on our way to the kind of catastrophe that could finish us off as a club. the bloke is simply not interested in the club anymore due to the shambles that is almost entirely of his own making. shepherd had big flaws, no doubt, and i'd rather go with someone else, but we're not in a position to decide that. the situation is so critical now that any owner is better than the status quo.

How does 9th at christmas translate to going down in May?

Under Ashley, Allardyce's net spend was zero lets not forget

Have you ever heard of a club called Hull City? Was it not for us that scenario would apply to them

Have you ever heard of a club called Hull City? Was it not for us that scenario would apply to them

you mean staying up? the points hull garnered meant appalling form in the second half of the season wasn't even enough to send them down. i don't think allardyce was ever in danger of taking us down, turning us into a boring, shit side yes, but not relegation. our form actually nosedived AFTER allardyce left, during the difficult period when keegan took over.

you mean staying up?

Look at my second sentance :facepalm:

As much as I despise Allardyce, as Freddie's appointment, he would have been backed.  Would still have been awful to watch though.

How do you think our spending would have differed that summer under Shepherd to what it did under Ashley?

I am not necessarily talking just about spending here.  Allardyce was Shepherd's appointment and he would have stuck with him for a while longer than Ashley did.  Ashley said soon after he took over that Allardyce was not his appointment so he was always on borrowed time after that and the relationship between Allardyce and Ashley was obviously uneasy.  He complained about the club being slow to act in transfer dealings and that lost him a few of his first choice signings.  Sam had a long-term plan to rebuild the club which Freddie had obviously bought into.  How Shepherd planned to finance this, I have no idea.

You are on a plane, it is heading straight for a mountain, and the pilots have parachuted out, leaving you to die (Indiana Jones style).  If an experienced pilot of the same plane with a terrible safety record steps forward to take the controls, I wouldn't hang around and wait for the alternative. 

It is July this week and we have THE SAME SQUAD. 

At least if Freddy takes over soon, we can start signing players straight away and sorting out a few contracts. I dont think Shepherd is someone who'll be balancing the books as soon as he comes in, he'll be more inclined to say "f*** the overdraft, fuck the wage bill, if we're back in the Premiership next season we'll immediately write off the debt created this season, so lets do it. Get me the best quote for a £50m loan now".

If we can sign someone like Frazier Campbell as a star Championship signing in amongst several other youngsters, and keep some of Bassong/Beye/Taylor/Jonas, we'll have a big, big chance of bouncing straight back up. In fact, with Freddie and his acceptance of racking up debt in order to keep star players at the club, I'd be confident that we'll trounce the Championship and be straight back in the Premiership for 2010/11.

As much as I despise Allardyce, as Freddie's appointment, he would have been backed.  Would still have been awful to watch though.

How do you think our spending would have differed that summer under Shepherd to what it did under Ashley?

I am not necessarily talking just about spending here.  Allardyce was Shepherd's appointment and he would have stuck with him for a while longer than Ashley did.  Ashley said soon after he took over that Allardyce was not his appointment so he was always on borrowed time after that and the relationship between Allardyce and Ashley was obviously uneasy.  He complained about the club being slow to act in transfer dealings and that lost him a few of his first choice signings.  Sam had a long-term plan to rebuild the club which Freddie had obviously bought into.  How Shepherd planned to finance this, I have no idea.

I'd hope as a chairman he also bought into the long-term plans of Dalglish, Gullit, Souness & Roeder.

The only manager he ever saw for more than 18 months was Robson.

Guest Heneage

C.Ronaldo is worth more than Newcastle United :lol: unbelievable

Aye but as Taylor so rightly said he'll still be ugly in the morning.

If this is true and it means getting rid of Ashley & co., having Shearer appointed and sorting out our push to get back into the Premiership, then I'm willing to give Freddy a second chance. At any rate, I'm desperate to feel optimistic about this club.

If this is true and it means getting rid of Ashley & co., having Shearer appointed and sorting out our push to get back into the Premiership, then I'm willing to give Freddy a second chance. At any rate, I'm desperate to feel optimistic about this club.

:thup: