Would The Current Squad Win The Championship?

QBG

Ok, so say we do not get taken over (god forbid) or it happens too late, no one is bought and no one is sold. Although it would be absolute financial hell, would the current squad of players win the league? Or would they struggle terribly?

The squad at the minute:

3  DF José Enrique

7  MF Joey Barton

8  MF Danny Guthrie

9  FW Obafemi Martins

11  MF Damien Duff

12  DF Sébastien Bassong

13  GK Steve Harper

16  DF Ryan Taylor

19  FW Xisco

21  DF Habib Beye

22  MF Nicky Butt

23  FW Shola Ameobi

27  DF Steven Taylor

28  DF Tamás Kádár

29  FW Fabio Zamblera

31  FW Frank Wiafe Danquah

32  FW Wesley Ngo Baheng

33  GK Ole Söderberg

34  GK Fraser Forster

35  DF Ben Tozer

37  DF Callum Morris

38  MF Kazenga LuaLua

39  FW Andy Carroll

40  GK Tim Krul

42  FW Ryan Donaldson

43  MF Jonny Godsmark

45  DF Darren Lough

46  FW Nile Ranger

47  MF Bradden Inman

Removed some of the guys who won't be there next season, so team would look like this:

GK

13  GK Steve Harper - Should do well in the Championship, however I think his extended run of games will defy the belief that most of us have that he was Shay Given's equal. He's a decent keeper, but I don't think he's consistent, and lacks the voice to assure the young defense in front of him.

40  GK Tim Krul - Did well with Falkirk a few years ago and seemed OK with Carlisle, obviously those aren't sides in a division equal to the Championship (SPL could be argued), but he still did a good job. We've seen him once in first team action in the Champion's League and he did a great job, so I don't think the pressure of 1st team football in the Premiership will get to him. The only doubts I have is that he'll become complacent and stop chasing for the #1 jersey the more games he gets. Very vocal though.

34  GK Fraser Forster - HUGE Keeper, over 6'5" now, yet still amazingly agile. I think Forster will have a lot of drive to get ahead of Krul in terms of #2 keeper this year. He had a great time with Stockport last year and impressed a lot of fans with his displays over the 6 games. If the Toon were still in the Premiership I think he'd have had a season long loan with Stockport.

33  GK Ole Söderberg - Just isn't ready for the Championship. Tall but thin keeper and if he concedes a goal appears to start playing within himself a bit, losing confidence quickly and stops talking to his defenders. Still young though, will probably be loaned out.

Overall - Our GK situation, as ever, is fine for life in the Championship and probably the Premiership if we had stayed there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Krul take over from Harper at some point during the season due to injury or lost of form.

Defenders

3  LB José Enrique - Seems to care somewhat about Newcastle, though I think he'll ultimately end up leaving by the end of the transfer window. He'll do well in the Championship, he's strong and works hard down that left flank to get into attacking positions, which could cause problems for the other team if he has the right winger in front of him to work with. Started to work well with Duff in the later half of the season before his injury, and Duff's swap to LB. Only liability is his lapse in concentration, which I think a lot of eager attackers will prey on to get their 'moment' against Newcastle and score from any crosses swung in from the right.

12  CB Sébastien Bassong - On of the few good things about last year, however I think the Summer will be too much for him and he'll leave if Shearer isn't installed as Manager. He'll do well in the Championship and will have the personal drive to succeed and get us back up. Calm and assured at the back, with the physical strength to keep most of the Championship strikers at bay. Only issue would be his over zealous shoulder barges and strong handed arm pushes giving away penalties or free kicks - however things could be a little less strict in the Championship...

16  RB/RM Ryan Taylor - Too weak for the Premier League, so I can only imagine how well he'll do in the Championship. I think with a Summer's rest to calm his nerves at now playing for Newcastle the technical side of his game could return - it was awful for us last year with most freekicks and corners wasted - however, I don't think he'll last long at RB as he's too weak and poor in the air. Couple that with Enrique's lapse in concentration, teams will have a field day down the flanks crossing the ball into the area exposing the back posts. If he can get his crosses right, I think he could do some damage on the right flank swinging in some nice balls for Andy Carroll or Nile Ranger... perhaps even the odd through ball for Oba.

21  RB Habib Beye - No issues with Habib, gives his all and is a quality defender.

27  CB Steven Taylor - Will adjust to life in the Championship well, only issue I have with Taylor is his single handed determination to win the game for us. This often sees him bombing it down the field into the opposing penalty area leaving the defense a bit exposed (I think this is what through Colo off his game so much being left as the only defender at the back). If he can mature mentally he would be a solid defender, but as it is he's a bit cavilary and often gets caught out because of it.

28  LB/CB Tamás Kádár - Back from (another) long injury lay off and he's yet to play a senior game for us. However, the reason he gets injured is due to his strong desire to win and overall bravery. I think he'll do well for us in the Championship if Bassong or Taylor move on and there's a CB spot available. He's strong and unphased by match situations, only issue would be he needs to tone down how strong he goes into tackles... for his own safety.

35  CB/LB Ben Tozer - Still unsure on Tozer. The few reserve games I've seen him in he's drifted in and out of the game, and when you've needed a voice at the back to reorganize it wasn't his. I know he's young, and those abilities could come through later, but still, its time for the youngsters to step up and be counted. I think the Championship has probably come a year too soon for him. If we were in the Premiership I think he'd have be loaned out for 1st team experience, but now we're in the Championship he'll be in the limbo between reserves as back up and the lure of 1st team football.

37  CB/RB Callum Morris - With Tozer & Kadar in front of him, the only way I can see Morris getting a game this year would be for him to challenge R.Taylor to the RB slot. He's a stocky CB and appears a bit small (though that could be deceiving). He can put a good tackle in, and with him just having signed a 1 year pro deal I think there's a chance, if he really wants it, that he'll be out to prove himself.

45  LB Darren Lough - Could do well as basic cover, but he'll find life in the Championship tough. One of the few kids to appear like they've worked on the physical side of his game, though that could be that he stood out more at youth level compared to those around him. Seems dedicated enough to the cause, perhaps this is his chance to show why he's just been handed a 2 year pro deal.

Overall - Very weak cover in the defensive field, with a huge lack of experience. I wouldn't hold on to too much hope that we'll keep Bassong or Enrique, which will really expose our defense if they go. Wouldn't be surprised to see a new signing at Left Back and Center Back... but then we've been saying that for years.

Midfielders

7  CM Joey Barton - 50/50 on if he plays for us or not. If Shearer comes in, I can't see Shearer going back on his vow, which means Barton will be gone either on loan or sold. This will ravage our midfield even more. Life in the Championship for Barton won't be easy, teams will be out to rile him up and I think he'll get caught up in the physical heated game more then in the Premiership, and get sent off too much. He has the drive on the pitch to do well, but the question is: How long will he stay on the pitch... if at all?

8  CM Danny Guthrie - Sound CM, but requires too much time on the ball to pull the trigger. Seems to be like David Batty and Scott Parker in one, in the sense that he can pass the ball backwards with ease, and he can in circles no problem, but there's little production. He's small and bullish, but his size will be a weakness in the Championship, especially in the middle of the park. Started to show some good form at the end of the season, but it was fleeting and unconsistent. Perhaps a fresh start in the Championship and Summer break is what he needs to refocus himself. At reserve level last year he was a monster play marker, and pinging balls 10-50 yards onto people's feet, not sure why he can't do that in 1st team football... possibly the lack of time again.

11  LW Damien Duff - Will destroy teams on the left in the Championship. Not the player he once was, but the drop down in quality (in some respects) of the Championship should compensate for his lost youth and pace. He still has the quick change in direction, and should do well if he can stay fit.

22  CDM Nicky Butt - Has lost his legs and youth and ability to pass the ball. This will probably be his last year with Newcastle, and I wouldn't be surprised if he retired afterwards. Gives away pointless freekicks (and several penalties last year) that have cost us a game or two, for the amount of years he's been in football shows very little, if any, leadership skills on the pitch. Bemuses me when people say he's our best player. I think if we were still in the Premiership he'd have been slowly phased out of the team this year, however as it is, he'll probably play about 30 games, sitting in the 'holding' roll. Hopefully he can pace himself better over 90minutes and not be blown out by the 70th leading to lazy tackles.

38  RM Kazenga LuaLua - Carbon copy of his Brother. Lacks a footballing brain, everything is on instinct, has a strange sloppy technique... yet has pace. If he's enjoying the game he'll do well for us, but I wouldn't hold out too much. Doncaster enjoyed his 4 appearances last year, but I think he's the type of player who will impress with fleeting appearances as he gives off the impression he's something special. With an exposed run in the team he'll be shown as an inconsistent player who's ability changes as much as the weather suits him.

43  RM Jonny Godsmark - Too small in all respects for the Championship (was told to find a new club a few months ago) yet is blazingly fast (possibly fastest in the squad now). He's League Two - League One standard at best.

47  CM Bradden Inman, CAM Haris Vuckic, LW Shane Ferguson - Too soon for these young guns, but they do have a touch of class about them. Inman is a solid looking midfielder who can do the dirty work, Vuckic has little to no defensive qualities about him, but he's a true playmaker in the making, and Shane Ferguson has exploded out of nowhere last year to earn an N.I Cap (though it was in a friendly with several other new N.I youth getting their full caps too). Unless the greatest of injury crisis falls on our club, I don't think we'll see much of these guys next year.

Overall - As of last year we need a total revamp of the midfield. No depth, no pace, no creativity, no muscle, no guile, no hope.

Attackers

9  FW Obafemi Martins - If he can get fit there's no doubt he'll score goals. His pace, agility, balance and flair caused problems with seasoned defenders in the Premiership, so hopefully it'll tear Championship defenders a part. Only issue I have with Oba is his consistency and the number of chances he needs to put the ball away. If he can work on his composure he'll be lethal.

19  FW Xisco - We'll be stuck with him. No one will want to buy him, and those who do will offer very little towards the £6m we paid. He's crap at the moment because he's had all confidence sucked out of him. He lacks the concentration at the moment, again could be a by product due to the lack of belief in him, but I think we should just give him a chance. It should be noted though that most of his goals in Spain did come in the 'lower levels'.

23  FW Shola Ameobi - Only works hard when he has to (working for Pro Contract, working for New Contract) he's in the Championship now, with 3 years left of a contract, earning 25k a week or more. Shola is frustrating as hell, he steps up when it suits him (Hello Europe) and drifts out of a game when he decides its beyond him. People say he's Championship level, but I'm not even sure of that, he's done well to deceive us for years.

29  FW Fabio Zamblera - Only suited for Italian football, and even those guys didn't want him. Scored 3 goals last season at u20 level for Sampdoria while on loan... he played nearly every match for them.

31  FW Frank Wiafe Danquah - Danquah and Baheng are pretty similar and come across as kids you see playing 5-a-side. I think someone needs to remind them that they are professional footballers. Both are prone to trying tricks to get around people, rather then passing the ball or sprinting forward, and then tripping over their feet. A plus is that both can drop into a width role in midfield if a Manager does want to try 4-3-3 and lacks other players.

32  FW Wesley Ngo Baheng - See above.

39  FW Andy Carroll - Started to shine last year with every appearance he had. Not afraid to shoot, works hard to link up player winning long high balls to flick on or hold up. This will be a big season for Carroll, and possibly one of the few players to benefit from Newcastle's demise to the Championship. Should work well with Oba if they can form a good understanding with each other.

42  FW Ryan Donaldson - Small and fast, like a little Michael Owen. Will be too far down the pecking order to get many, if any games, this year. Has proven at youth and reserve level that he can score goals.

46  FW Nile Ranger - Out of no where! Hopefully, its not as simple that he's physical more mature then the rest of the players around him at youth level (He's quick and strong) and he is as good as we hope. Has missed a few sitters, but he's young, only to score some sublime goals. I don't think he'll get as many games as some people think he will, but he'll be on the bench and will be blooded next year at some point.

Overall - In trouble depth wise, without a doubt, with no proven goal scorer (Oba aside).

Mental, I don't agree that squad will be the one we start with in anyway.  For example you've got Bassong, Beye, Barton , and Martins to stay yet you think Nolan will leave.

Do you partake upon crack?

• 2 months later...

Thought this was worth a bump now we are a few months in, my view:

Harper - More than good enough at this level, has his faults but one of the best at this level.

Krul - A bit excitable but a very promising young keeper, I am confident he would be good enough if Harper got injured.

Simpson - Good player, a good right back in this league.

Steven Taylor - Very good player, possible the best centre back in this league?

Coloccini - Good player at this level, still has his "moments" but on the whole he is solid and more often than note has the opposition well controlled.

Enrique - Quality defender, is well above this level but does have mental moments.

Ksivihiliwillybilly - Really early but from yesterday performance he looks fairly solid with a decent amount of pace.

Kadar - No idea really but from what our resident youth reserve guru (Binnsy) has said about the lad I trust he will be decent back up for left back this season.

Tozer - Jury is still out on him, if we had to rely on him I don't think I would be very confident at the moment though.

Jonas - Still frustrating as hell and earlier on in the season I was very unhappy with him because I think he is really wasteful but absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that so at the moment I think we miss his ability to run at people and keep possesion in the opposition half.

Barton - Very unimpressed, I am a big fan of his footballing ability but he has hardly shown any of it. He SHOULD piss this league but its not coming off for him. Whether its just bad luck or just the fact he can't be arsed/thinks he is too good to be playing here I don't know but he really needs to step up his game.

Guthrie - Always liked this lad, he has some good technique about him and given the chance will contribute to our goalscoring. With Barton being a fanny Guthrie is the real quality in terms of passing in this squad.

Smith - For me he has been one of it not our most important player. Still gives away needless fouls but he has been immense for the majority imo. Would definitely be happy for him to be captain for the rest of the season.

Butt - Past it but still a bit early I suppose, he could be decent I suppose although I don't hold out much hope. I don't want him to get injured but when I saw someone was down yesterday and it looked bad I was happy it was Butt. That might sound harsh but if it had to be anyone he would be my first choice  :blush:

Nolan - if it wasn't for his goals he would be the second furthest from the team (first would be Butt) however he has been scoring a lot and that for me makes him pretty much undroppable. I picked a first 11 when fit yesterday which left him out but (kneejerk) yesterday just showed why we probably need to keep him in the team. He can only really play this free role though.

Ryan Taylor - Very average but can put a very good ball into the box and is dangerous from freekicks. He would be backup for me but a useful player.

Geremi - Like Ryan Taylor just slower (somehow).

Ameobi - Shame he got injured because I could see him getting a lot of goals. To be honest he has been dogshit on the whole he just has a knack of getting goals which makes him invaluable.

Carroll - Improving. Glad he grabbed a few goals recently, he is a beast and will win the vast majority of balls that go his way, has started to look more of a goal threat without Shola in the team.

Ranger - Very impressed, he has a maturity beyond his years and is far less selfish than I thought he would be (and in all honesty he isn't selfish enough). Like Carroll though is improving, if he starts adding some goals to him game he will be a fucking good player at this level.

Harewood - Early but none the less impressed with his cameo. Looks strong as fuck and direct which is something we have lacked. Will score his share while he is here.

Lovenkrands - Not been impressed so far but that is entirely not his fault. He knows, we knows, Stevie Wonder knows the lad is not in any way a winger. Hope he gets a lot more chances up front as the season goes on because I think his finishing is fairly good (especially at this level) and he has the ability to get behind defences.

In summary we really do have a number of players who are at the top ability wise for this league. It still surprises me seeing people saying they expect us to lose or comments like "with this midfield we will lose this one!". My first choice 11 would probably only include about half those players on the pitch yesterday and we still absolutely pissed it while our midfield dominated. Some seem to forget that although some of our players are very average a lot of players in this league are fucking shite and would be lucky to get into our squad let alone into the first 11.

I want us up the first time of asking without doubt but I have to say I am loving this season so far. This is just a gap year where we can refresh and enjoy ourselves a little  :laugh:

It did look as though the three relegated teams were going to run away with this division but our rivals have had a bad week and we could open up a canny gap tonight. It seems that while the Championship teams are all fairly mediocre, there's not that much difference between those 6th from top to those 6th from bottom. All of them can make life difficult for better teams but we seem to have the extra quality to finish teams off. We are going to have the odd Blackpool result but I think we'll win more than the rest and that will make the difference. 

At the start of the season I'd expected things to be a lot more difficult for us than they have been so far, we've scrapped a few results but all in all we've done alot better than I imagined.

Although, recently I'm more convinced we'll go straight back up first time of asking as that's the way things are going right now if we win tonight.

Also, out of curiosity, what's the record number of points for gaining promotion, did Reading break the record with their 106 a few years ago? ;)

Guest Roger Kint

It did look as though the three relegated teams were going to run away with this division but our rivals have had a bad week and we could open up a canny gap tonight. It seems that while the Championship teams are all fairly mediocre, there's not that much difference between those 6th from top to those 6th from bottom. All of them can make life difficult for better teams but we seem to have the extra quality to finish teams off. We are going to have the odd Blackpool result but I think we'll win more than the rest and that will make the difference. 

Do you think we will go one better than Keegans side and remarkably win this league then?

Do you think we will go one better than Keegans side and remarkably win this league then?

Give me a decade or so then I'm sure I can come up with a quote worthy to go in LLO's sig.  O0

The squad we had last season would have destroyed the Championship by rape. When you look at the players we've lost/had out and how we've done, you can't help but think that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I remain confident in the fact that the only games (bar West Brom) where we've failed to pick up three points have been due to us not performing as opposed to being outclassed by the opposition.

If we can give a fuck every game and not lack so much urgency like on Wednesday and at Blackpool, we'll go straight back up. This team is one of the best in the league on paper.

The squad we have at the moment is very capable on paper. Hughton's done a decent job of bulking it up a bit with some experience and ability, and I'd go as far to say that we're alright for depth everything except on the wings. Whether it can perform well enough to win the Championship is another matter entirely however. Still, I think we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

I remain confident in the fact that the only games (bar West Brom) where we've failed to pick up three points have been due to us not performing as opposed to being outclassed by the opposition.

If we can give a fuck every game and not lack so much urgency like on Wednesday and at Blackpool, we'll go straight back up. This team is one of the best in the league on paper.

On paper the QPR team shouldn't have been in the same class as ours on Wednesday but a hefty pay packet doesn 't guarantee results as we saw last season. The squad is still hamstrung by lack of decent wide players and an unbalanced team isn't as effective on the pitch as it is on paper. Once Hughton starts picking a proper midfield with two forwards we'll have a better idea of how good we are and we'll maybe look as convincing as the results would suggest.

Guest Roger Kint

Based on todays result on the back of the QPR game 4 pts dropped no, but as we know things will change

WBA, Preston & Boro have lost more points than us the past 3 games.

WBA 'lost' 2 points away at the team 3rd in the league whereas we threw away 2 at home against a team who havent won away yet.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

A left-back and a couple of wingers in January and we should be ok

I don't see the point spending money adding "Good Championship" players to a squad in a promotion bid. If we do get promoted, the "Championship Standard Players" we signed in January will just need replacing again. Loan signings should be used and nothing else

The squad we had last season would have destroyed the Championship by rape. When you look at the players we've lost/had out and how we've done, you can't help but think that.

:lol:

Couldn't we have just played a 4-4-2?

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

According to the People we're signing Brendan Moloney (Right Back) from Nottingham Forest in January permanently. He's currently on loan at Notts County.