Newcastle United Championship Mitre Matchball (Official)

toonpete1892

Its been mentioned in a couple of other threads but I’ve been it holding off until I had a decent image of the completed ball. I had thought of doing a panel by panel reveal but fortunately the ball arrived in the office today so here is the official Mitre Newcastle United Championship Matchball for the 2009/10 season …

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5936/side2m.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9485/side3.jpg

As part of my placement at Mitre, it has been one of my roles over the last 6 months to work alongside the Football League and the individual clubs to create all 72 (and several possible relegation/promotion teams) ball designs for the forthcoming season. Unfortunately that meant creating the designs of our ball way before the season ended. Come Villa Park on the last day, obviously I was hoping for Premiership survival but seeing the club I support using the ball I designed came a close second. Whilst others had to face piss taking work colleagues on that Tuesday morning, I had the responsibility of finalising the design and seeking approval from the club. Not great!

On another note, Sky Sports have chosen to run a specific feature about the Newcastle ball and this should be aired within the next few days – further details will follow. And unlike the Chronicle’s story on the ball the other day, this will actually be about the right matchball, the Mitre Revolve.

I hope you like it!!!

Do Newcastle get any money from people buying this? If so, I urge people not to buy it, especially not from the club shop or sports direct.

However its a great ball, so if Ashley gets nowt from it, I might get one.

Do Newcastle get any money from people buying this? If so, I urge people not to buy it, especially not from the club shop or sports direct.

Not sure if they'll sell it in the club shop with it not being Adidas.

Not sure if they'll sell it in the club shop with it not being Adidas.

As I stated in another thread, Mitre do a replica club shop range (varying qualities) where the same design is used but with the clubs strong link with adidas, I doubt it will happen. Unfortunately I've been told I can't even get one for myself, gutted!

Guest Heneage

Am I right in saying Mitre balls are stitched together differently compared to Nike balls?

Am I right in saying Mitre balls are stitched together differently compared to Nike balls?

Not being an expert on the Nike ball, I'm fairly certain that the Nike ball (Adidas definately) do not use stitches and instead use thermal bonding to bond the panels. All other factors (weight/size/rebound etc) have to be within tight FIFA guidelines and therefore do not change dramatically between competitve balls. Thats one less excuse the players can use.

Not being an expert on the Nike ball, I'm fairly certain that the Nike ball (Adidas definately) do not use stitches and instead use thermal bonding to bond the panels. All other factors (weight/size/rebound etc) have to be within tight FIFA guidelines and therefore do not change dramatically between competitve balls. Thats one less excuse the players can use.

Im pretty sure I can see stitching on that Ball picture?

Forgot to confirm Mitre do use stitching.

Forgot to confirm Mitre do use stitching.

can hide be thermally bonded?

Have you got any pictures of the Watford ball? :aww:

Personally no, but if I remember right, its the same as last year with the addition of the silver detail as on the Newcastle ball.

I assume all the balls are the same part from the logo, and of course the black stripe sort of thing may not be black for all clubs.

The standard design (including the silver overprint) is the same for all clubs with the crest, and two colours of the design changing. The exception would be teams with only one colour on the ball and this would be seperated with a thin keyline the same colour of the ball. When doing this ball, I considered having black/black amongst other colourways but the black/blue appeared the strongest and in my opinion the nicest looking.

The SPL balls do not have the silver overprint but have a hatching instead. The only changes for these balls from last season are updated colours.

Very, very nice. Where can I get a hold of one of these on the Internet to ship it to Canada?

Unfortunately nowhere, with it being up to the club to decide to order/sell them.