Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

I can't quite believe that genuine fans are in any way upset by this at all, or are somehow trying to portray it as indicative of a wider problem with the player or the team. Krul is one of our best players, one with true class and ability. You need both hands, both feet, and a few of your mates, to count the number of times he's made crucial saves in matches. And he's just about the only player who is blameless for this result.

Lack of passion/commitment? This guy has been here ten years, which is self-evidently a measure of his commitment to this club in this day and age when other players here and elsewhere haven't even bothered to stick around for longer than their breakout season. And if you don't believe your own eyes when seeing how he reacts in games, I'm inclined to believe Carver when he said post-match, he's the guy who is most likely to be the one tearing strips off the others in the dressing room when things aren't going well. Krul's obviously not here for the money (he could get a better paid contract even in the Championship, let alone if a 'top' club came in for him). And you can hardly blame him for any real or perceived lack of form/desire *if* that is down to him not having any pressure on his place - that's on the management. I for one salute Krul for staying here so long, despite the fact it must have dawned on him long ago that Ashley's NUFC isn't really the place you need to be if you aspire to be the best keeper in the world.

The only reason this is a story is because of so called pundits like Carragher and Danny Murphy made it a 'talking point', people who quite clearly don't know the first thing about Tim Krul or NUFC. Add to that list the hapless Steve "It has no place in a wear-Tyne Derby" Ryder. What a knobhead. So Carra wouldn't do that in a match? So f***ing what. Do people think it's in any doubt which player out of Carra and Krul most footballers actually respect as a person? And if Krul was in the Liverpool team that won the Champions League while Carra was simply an NUFC player for ten years, do you think there'd be any doubt which one most footballers, pundits and fans would consider was the better footballer?

This gesture was nothing more than good sportsmanship, which may or may not have had a p*ss-taking element to it (and it makes no difference to me if it did or didn't). Anyone who tells you that passion for your club is incompatible with this sort of thing, is probably the sort of fan who wants NUFC to be a classless club like one of the Old Firm, where football long ago ceased to be a game and instead morphed into (or always was) something far more disturbing. I never want my club to be the sort of institution where the only thing that matters is stuffing the opposition, and taking our ball home when it doesn't go our way. I want my club to be better than that. And I think it already is better than that. So I proudly say here and know, thank you to Tim for being a proper sportsman. I hope for NUFC's sake he pays absolutely no mind to this sort of criticism - and thankfully it appears he did not.

I can't believe you wasted your time posting this tripe.  That attitude is exactly why we win f*** all.

Bollocks. What this guy is saying is that Tim Krul's NUFC career cannot be summed up in this one moment. It's ridiculous to single him out for something we don't even know much about apart from some video images, and totally ignore everything else. The club is diseased, and this incident may or may not be a symptom of it. It's abundantly clear that the buck stops with the ownership and management. They have provided this platform, and are reaping what they've sown.

I can't quite believe that genuine fans are in any way upset by this at all, or are somehow trying to portray it as indicative of a wider problem with the player or the team. Krul is one of our best players, one with true class and ability. You need both hands, both feet, and a few of your mates, to count the number of times he's made crucial saves in matches. And he's just about the only player who is blameless for this result.

Lack of passion/commitment? This guy has been here ten years, which is self-evidently a measure of his commitment to this club in this day and age when other players here and elsewhere haven't even bothered to stick around for longer than their breakout season. And if you don't believe your own eyes when seeing how he reacts in games, I'm inclined to believe Carver when he said post-match, he's the guy who is most likely to be the one tearing strips off the others in the dressing room when things aren't going well. Krul's obviously not here for the money (he could get a better paid contract even in the Championship, let alone if a 'top' club came in for him). And you can hardly blame him for any real or perceived lack of form/desire *if* that is down to him not having any pressure on his place - that's on the management. I for one salute Krul for staying here so long, despite the fact it must have dawned on him long ago that Ashley's NUFC isn't really the place you need to be if you aspire to be the best keeper in the world.

The only reason this is a story is because of so called pundits like Carragher and Danny Murphy made it a 'talking point', people who quite clearly don't know the first thing about Tim Krul or NUFC. Add to that list the hapless Steve "It has no place in a wear-Tyne Derby" Ryder. What a knobhead. So Carra wouldn't do that in a match? So fucking what. Do people think it's in any doubt which player out of Carra and Krul most footballers actually respect as a person? And if Krul was in the Liverpool team that won the Champions League while Carra was simply an NUFC player for ten years, do you think there'd be any doubt which one most footballers, pundits and fans would consider was the better footballer?

This gesture was nothing more than good sportsmanship, which may or may not have had a piss-taking element to it (and it makes no difference to me if it did or didn't). Anyone who tells you that passion for your club is incompatible with this sort of thing, is probably the sort of fan who wants NUFC to be a classless club like one of the Old Firm, where football long ago ceased to be a game and instead morphed into (or always was) something far more disturbing. I never want my club to be the sort of institution where the only thing that matters is stuffing the opposition, and taking our ball home when it doesn't go our way. I want my club to be better than that. And I think it already is better than that. So I proudly say here and know, thank you to Tim for being a proper sportsman. I hope for NUFC's sake he pays absolutely no mind to this sort of criticism - and thankfully it appears he did not.

I can't believe you wasted your time posting this tripe.  That attitude is exactly why we win fuck all.

Is that comment a joke? We don't win anything because we have shite players and management not because krul congratulated a good goal u idiot

Can't get my head around people saying what he did is in some way wholly acceptable; it just isn't. By the same token I'm not saying it's some disgusting act or whatever either, or accept it being blown out of proportion from mongs like Carragher. For f*** sake man, you don't wait around in the tunnel to congratulate the guy, from your rival team, to pat him on the f***ing back or whatever at half time for putting one past you. You just don't. That, to me, shows the guy doesn't "care" as much as your supporter like. Hurting my arse, I can barely imagine any of them moping around the dressing room that much. Look at how many stories you see of players for the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea going out on the p*ss straight after getting beat and smiling about nothing. I've never done shit like that as a player for any team before.

The only reason this is a story is because of so called pundits like Carragher and Danny Murphy made it a 'talking point', people who quite clearly don't know the first thing about Tim Krul or NUFC. Add to that list the hapless Steve "It has no place in a wear-Tyne Derby" Ryder. What a knobhead. So Carra wouldn't do that in a match? So fucking what. Do people think it's in any doubt which player out of Carra and Krul most footballers actually respect as a person? And if Krul was in the Liverpool team that won the Champions League while Carra was simply an NUFC player for ten years, do you think there'd be any doubt which one most footballers, pundits and fans would consider was the better footballer?

This gesture was nothing more than good sportsmanship, which may or may not have had a piss-taking element to it (and it makes no difference to me if it did or didn't). Anyone who tells you that passion for your club is incompatible with this sort of thing, is probably the sort of fan who wants NUFC to be a classless club like one of the Old Firm, where football long ago ceased to be a game and instead morphed into (or always was) something far more disturbing. I never want my club to be the sort of institution where the only thing that matters is stuffing the opposition, and taking our ball home when it doesn't go our way. I want my club to be better than that. And I think it already is better than that. So I proudly say here and know, thank you to Tim for being a proper sportsman. I hope for NUFC's sake he pays absolutely no mind to this sort of criticism - and thankfully it appears he did not.

Couldn't agree more. Thank you so much, Tim. This truly is the club I know and love.

I can't believe you wasted your time posting this tripe.  That attitude is exactly why we win fuck all.

Is that comment a joke? We don't win anything because we have shite players and management not because krul congratulated a good goal u idiot

Ah, sorry man, I don't speak mung.  Maybe hoy it into google translate and shove it up your arse.

Couldn't agree more. Thank you so much, Tim. This truly is the club I know and love.

:lol: thanks tim mate, i generally only watch the derbies for sportsmanship, and if you think about thats the real game, and we won.

:lol:

The only reason this is a story is because of so called pundits like Carragher and Danny Murphy made it a 'talking point', people who quite clearly don't know the first thing about Tim Krul or NUFC. Add to that list the hapless Steve "It has no place in a wear-Tyne Derby" Ryder. What a knobhead. So Carra wouldn't do that in a match? So f***ing what. Do people think it's in any doubt which player out of Carra and Krul most footballers actually respect as a person? And if Krul was in the Liverpool team that won the Champions League while Carra was simply an NUFC player for ten years, do you think there'd be any doubt which one most footballers, pundits and fans would consider was the better footballer?

This gesture was nothing more than good sportsmanship, which may or may not have had a p*ss-taking element to it (and it makes no difference to me if it did or didn't). Anyone who tells you that passion for your club is incompatible with this sort of thing, is probably the sort of fan who wants NUFC to be a classless club like one of the Old Firm, where football long ago ceased to be a game and instead morphed into (or always was) something far more disturbing. I never want my club to be the sort of institution where the only thing that matters is stuffing the opposition, and taking our ball home when it doesn't go our way. I want my club to be better than that. And I think it already is better than that. So I proudly say here and know, thank you to Tim for being a proper sportsman. I hope for NUFC's sake he pays absolutely no mind to this sort of criticism - and thankfully it appears he did not.

Interesting. This is what Krul had to say about the incident.

"What I actually told him I probably can’t repeat on television because it wasn’t a nice gesture. it was more in the region of 'what a lucky guy he is', but with a bit more venom behind it."

In what sense is that sportsmanship?

We haven't exactly been pulling up trees grinding out results or putting in performances worthy of a casual smile on the pitch. We're fucking shit and lost 4 to these lot and had a lay-down performance of epic proportions compounded by giving up a goal prior to half time.

I'd much rather see a mad Jens Lehman response like Henry mentioned pinning fuckers to the wall demanding more than this slap back smile bull shit. You can do whatever the hell you want for 10 years playing for this club, for that, I am truly grateful, but don't go slapping fives and all that shit in the derby - even if you walked over and said to him "Hey Defoe, you're a cunt", it's going to be called out for what people see and what we see is spineless crap over and over and over and over and over again.

It's something he shouldn't have done, but it's being blown up too much.  Bigger issues await.

Pretty much this :thup: at the end of the day, it was only good sportsmanship, he shouldn't have done it, but he didn't really do much wrong.

Interesting. This is what Krul had to say about the incident.

"What I actually told him I probably can’t repeat on television because it wasn’t a nice gesture. it was more in the region of 'what a lucky guy he is', but with a bit more venom behind it."

In what sense is that sportsmanship?

Because I'm assuming (based on the body language and his general nature) that what he means is he congratulated him on a great goal while also calling him a lucky cunt - in the same way most Brits find it impossible to simply complement an opponent and leave it at that. In my experience it's only the Dutch who can understand, and actually correctly imitate, this sort of nuanced approach to congratulating an opponent while at the same time (on the face of it) insulting them. I think Tim's been here long enough to fully understand our ways and deploy it correctly in this context, and clearly Jermaine wouldn't misunderstand it in the way some other foreign players might have. Obviously we can't be sure without clarification of the precise words used, but I seriously doubt that this comment was meant to clarify that all he said to Jermaine that he was just a lucky cunt, period.

I'd much rather see a mad Jens Lehman response like Henry mentioned pinning f***ers to the wall demanding more than this slap back smile bull s***.

How do you know he didn't do both? If it's true the comment was closer to a congratulation through gritted teeth, then how is it implausible that a minute later he wouldn't be kicking off in the dressing room at the abject performance he'd just witnessed from the ten men in front of him? Do people seriously need to see him running down the tunnel punching the wall, kicking drinks bottles over and generally looking like a mad man, before they will believe he wasn't upset? And more to the point, haven't people seen enough examples (including from yesterday's opponents in the not too distant past) to realise that perhaps being the guy with the most 'passion' for the cause isn't the be all and end all of success in modern football management. If Krull lacked passion today, and it's a big if, I'd be more inclined to place blame for that on the fact there isn't really anything else left to play for this season bar pride and place money (which as was said can easily affect your performance or motivation without you even being consciously aware of it), rather than any deficiencies in the core members of our team. Even worse - it could be down to the fact the general direction and theme of Ashley's reign hardly inspires players to go the extra mile for the cause (unless they think they're in the shop window).

It's the derby. We lost. He and everyone else played like s***. Nobody is safe from criticism.

Krul and any other player who has played the past 5 derbies that have given Sunderland 15 points and maybe 1 or 2 seasons of safety in the Premier League are all worthy of being criticized. THEY COULD HAVE SENT THEM DOWN 2 SEASONS ON - and they opened the gates and didn't turn up like fucking cowards man.

It's something he shouldn't have done, but it's being blown up too much.  Bigger issues await.

This. I can see why it has left a bad taste and upset people but at worst Krul coming across as more happy-go-lucky than he should at that point is a symptom rather than root cause of the club's problems and I don't see the point in slaughtering him for it.

If we're talking about acts from members of the club that p*ssed me off, this is nowhere near as bad as say when Shearer was laughing along with The Kop from the touchline as they were singing the Match of the Day theme song while we were pitifully rolling over on our way to relegation.

Doesn't mean he doesn't care, etc.

People saying its not a big deal or missing the point. It's only a little thing but it is a microcosm that defines the current state of the club. Thats a player thats been with the club a decade, one of our most senior and symbolic characters, congratulating the opposing striker for banging one past him in a f***ing derby. It's ludicrous.

Totally agree. People may see it as trivial, imo it was shameful.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Well said.

Not too bothered about it only because there's bigger things to worry about but it just goes to underline the total lack of professionalism and the general couldn't care less attitude running throughout the squad. Imagine the likes of Roy Keane or Tony Adams congratulating an opposition player for scoring a goal against them in any game let alone a derby. It just wouldn't happen.

As a side note it's been sad to see the decline of Krul over the years. He was better as a 17 year old 10 years ago than he is now.