Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

btw can someone remind me which 3-4 crosses he flapped?

There was him coming out for the offside "goal" which he missed  and there was the corner where he got his hand to it BUT then tipped the shot over, what else?

The only other one I can remember is when he charged right out to the edge of the area, jumped over Taylor and punched the ball clear. Don't think that was entirely needed.

Did it twice then, had just made a save to his left, Brunt with the corner, flapped at it and it went to Greening I think just inside the box who put the ball back up into the 6 yard box, he came and missed again and they almost scored.

At least the lad actually makes an effort to command his box. More than could ever be said for Given.

Honestly, what an absolute load of tripe.

How's that a load of tripe like? 

Guest The Libertine

At least the lad actually makes an effort to command his box. More than could ever be said for Given.

because he has to argue. he's a spam bot.

What exactly do you think 'commanding the box' entails? Coming for absolutely everything even if you have no chance of getting it?

I enjoyed the performance yesterday.

Yes, he made a couple of mistakes, the most obvious one being his half-hearted punch from the corner. But he was no worse than Harper.

That's not to say Harper is a bad keeper, either. But Harper was arguably responsible for the goal we conceded. If he'd dealt with it better there would have been no loose ball waiting to be tapped in.

Obviously I'm not saying Krul is better than Harper, however they're about on par and Krul is only going to get better.

If we had stayed in the Premier League last season we would have been quite happy loaning Krul out to a championship side to get some games under his belt. Now we are a championship side we might as well give him a run in the team. If he's not up to it then Harper isn't going anywhere so we bring him back into the side.

Guest wshmag

good shot stopper, flapped at a few crosses, but he's certainly a better keeper than harper.

Really?

harper is wank and vastly overrated

good shot stopper, flapped at a few crosses, but he's certainly a better keeper than harper.

Really?

And what can you tell me about Krul aside from what I know already after having seen him for all 140 mins of first-team football he's played?

Guest wshmag

Really?

And what can you tell me about Krul aside from what I know already after having seen him for all 140 mins of first-team football he's played?

that he's good at saving penalties too, having seen him in a few reserve games.

Really?

harper is w*** and vastly overrated

The worst you can say then is the jury is still out on Krul because from what we've seen he's been very good, I don't think you can say Harper is better (even though we may find out he is).

Seems like there was atleast 4 solid reasons to give Krul a chance. If you ignore the crosses he took out of the air, more efficient punches, kicks etc

I dont remember harper contributing very much beyond messing up for their goal.

Guest wshmag

By the way, we had two chances on goal within about five touches of a Krul kick.

Fair enough. He's obviously the second coming. Stick him in.

you're trying to be clever and witty aren't you? trying to be a cut above the rest?

i know your game.

Guest JamesyJazz

Harper is suffering from  an appaling case of lost confidence imo,he's the complete opposite from the commanding ,confident player who stepped into Givens boots when Shay was injured.

But Krul looks the part to me,he was confident,communicated with his defence and when he came for a cross he actually looked as if he thought he was going to make the save.

Give him a run in the side and give Harper some competition to focus his thoughts on.

By the way, we had two chances on goal within about five touches of a Krul kick.

Fair enough. He's obviously the second coming. Stick him in.

you're trying to be clever and witty aren't you? trying to be a cut above the rest?

i know your game.

No, I'm trying to inject some fucking realism into this argument. I'm quite willing to give the lad a go, tbh, but I wonder about people's expectations and what their reactions would be if he didn't work out.

Newcastle United goalkeeper Tim Krul has dismissed speculation that had previously linked him with a move to Arsenal, following the relegation of the Magpies to the Coca-Cola Football Championship.

Speaking to the Sunday Sun, Krul pledged his alleigance to the Toon, saying, "TIMMAAY!"

The 21-year-old Dutchman went on to elaborate on his love for Tyneside as he spoke of the season ahead.

“TIM-TIMMAAY," he began. "TIM-TIMMAY TIMMAAAY," he concluded.

Harper's certainly wank but i think we're jumping the gun if we're saying Krul's better than him. If only for the fact we haven't seen enough of him to judge yet. I'd like to think he is, though.

If we're picking teams on merit - Krul should be playing against Reading. If Smith keeps his place even though Guthrie's back from injury - i don't see why the same shouldn't happen with Krul and Harper.

Even if Harper could be considered the safer keeper at the moment, I don't think Krul is going to iron the kinks out of his game until he gets more games under his belt. Sooner or later we are going to have to go with the decision to make him 1st choice in my book. As for his "clanger" only the brave keepers make those type of clangers tbh. Bruce Grobelaar was well known for dropping the odd one but he was a brilliant keeper.

Though the lad did great some excellent reflex saves and a couple of dodgy flaps at crosses but he caught a few and got the ball moving quickly, a goalkeeping coach will iron out his weaker abilitys hopefully if we have one ,overall its too early to say if he be made first choice but from what ive seen of him i would play him ahead of Harper atm .Imho he looks a quicker ,a better shot stopper and Harper is too slow.