Keegan or Shearer

Guest ObaStar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's not very reliable though, is he? The fact that he's never seen out a managerial contract (unsure about whether he did at Fulham or not, maybe you can put me right?) is rather worrying. As much as you obviously love and respect the man, I still fail to understand why you think he'd be a good option for us right now.

EDIT: Especially when the club lacks stability and really could do with having one manager for an entire frigging season.

I never said he would be a good option for us right now. I just said if it came down to it and Keegan had full control and backing that I would chose him over Shearer.

Okay, if you were given full choice then of all realistically available managers, where would Keegan rank in your preferred shortlist of appointments?

Really don't have an answer to that as I have no clue who is available or realistic to us.

How? :lol: the man has walked away from practically every job he's had.

If you actually look into the circumstances behind each one though I wouldn't say he was a bottler. It sounds like a myth created by The Sun.

:lol:

There's always a reason for Keegan though, depends on how much you buy in to his excuses i suppose.

It's ridiculous. Every other manager has to put up with shit from various sources, it's just Kevin Keegan uses these reasons as a fucking starting block so he can bolt out of the door when things get tough. THEN he has the fucking cheek to claim compensation? What a fucking joke of a man.

Aye that's why Ferguson and Wenger came out and said he was in the right and no way would they have put up with what he had to.

Ferguson and Wenger would have put up with that early on in their careers at Arsenal & Manu, they wouldn't now as they've done too much and built up respect and reputation for winning things.

If you put Keegan in the same light as these two at their clubs there in lies the reason you think he did the right thing (or had a reason), unfortunately Keegan as a manager has won fuk all of any meaning yet demands the respect of a manager at the top of the game and this time from an owner who is out of touch with football and only sees in business terms.

Ferguson and Wenger are legends of the English managerial game, they can afford not to take shite so they can say he did the right thing, as that's what they would have done,  but what has Keegan done? Nothing of note, Keegan's self opinion far outweighs his managerial ability.

I never said that Keegan was as good of a manager as those two. Not once.

Do you not rate Keegan as a manager btw? Ignoring all of the shite.

Fair enough, im just pointing out why those two would have backed him walking, even though they've no clue WTF has went on behind closed doors but rent-a-mouths on others business they are, as we all know.  :lol:

I do yes.

As a man manager and motivator and communicator to the fans i don't think there's anyone out there as good as him. When it comes to keeping up moral and getting that little bit extra out of players he's fantastic. But tactically average at best, thinks with his heart too much, too emotional and deeply flawed when it comes to confrontation at things he doesn't like. Remove or be removed, he's like a woman, no grey areas, no compromise, just his way or not at all. I bet there's not a day goes by he doesn't regret not sticking it out, but his pride wouldn't let him come back with compromise in those crisis talks, this is no good for a manager. There's being tough and laying down the law, but there's also cutting your nose off to spite your face, and do it too many times and people will lose respect for you anyway, and it's what he's done, for me anyway.

Ideally he'd still be here, but he's not, and he doesn't deserve another chance, he's burnt his bridges here, only a fool would allow him back within the club. Shearer is still hanging on in there, knowing this is a shite situation for himself, but he wants to do his best for the club and for the fans, Shearer thinks of himself 3rd place in that scale, Keegan will always think he's 1st.

Surely his mental stability has to be taken into account when considering his managerial ability.

Would he be a great manager if he wasn't going fucking bonkers and quitting all the time? Absolutely. But that's like saying Owen would be a great striker if he never got injured.

Keegan.

We'd be promoted immediately under him, and if he stuck long enough, would move up the tables towards the top 6 spots.

He wouldn't though.

At best we'd get a promotion out of him and a year consolidating.

tbh, we'd also get that out of Shearer.

Surely his mental stability has to be taken into account when considering his managerial ability.

Would he be a great manager if he wasn't going fucking bonkers and quitting all the time? Absolutely. But that's like saying Owen would be a great striker if he never got injured.

I think he's sound, but I feel that while his love for the club and the game will always be there, that all consuming desire and drive from the first time around is gone and will never return. 

If I had to pick between the two, I'd feel Shearer would be the more solid long term choice.

I voted neither, but I wouldn't complain with either either. edit: meaning I would have confidence under both of promotion.

Imagine if we couldn't find a buyer, Ashley took it off the market, Shearer rejected him... so Ashley caves in and re-appoints Keegan now now that Wise and co have gone. Unfinished business and all that. :lol: That'd be canny.

Shearer, btw. Love him to pieces but it's time to move on from Keegan.

He's not very reliable though, is he? The fact that he's never seen out a managerial contract (unsure about whether he did at Fulham or not, maybe you can put me right?) is rather worrying. As much as you obviously love and respect the man, I still fail to understand why you think he'd be a good option for us right now.

Let's have a list of managers who have seen out their contracts then to see the kind of manager you'd like.

Guest The Libertine

If you actually look into the circumstances behind each one though I wouldn't say he was a bottler. It sounds like a myth created by The Sun.

There's always a reason for Keegan though, depends on how much you buy in to his excuses i suppose.

from reading his autobiography he does tend to turn things into a "poor me" situation. with a different mentality he could have been an all time great manager.

Keegan can f*** off back to Spain or Glasgow or wherever he is hiding these days. I would rather Shearer out of the two, but if i was taking over the club he wouldn't be my first choice.

from reading his autobiography he does tend to turn things into a "poor me" situation. with a different mentality he could have been an all time great manager.

We need to get him on Jeremy Kyle, he'd sort him out.

"Grow some backbone"

"Get a job"

"Think of your family before quitting"

"Loser"

"Now please welcome the legend that is Graham, he's going to mind fuk you till you submit to me in a leather wearing drug induced orgy backstage"

I just hope to fuck the new owners do have a new manager lined up straight away, regardless of whether or not it's Shearer. It's taken us this fucking long to get someone with the credentials to appoint a manager; we can't be fannying around looking for one to appoint. Time is ebbing away.

Guest Brummiemag

Most successful manager in terms of win% in clubs history, promoted as captain, promoted as manager, exciting attacking football, it has to be wor Kev.

Exactly, would be great to see him back here.

With a different mentality he'd probably have been just another ordinary manager as most of them are.

He's not very reliable though, is he? The fact that he's never seen out a managerial contract (unsure about whether he did at Fulham or not, maybe you can put me right?) is rather worrying.

What does that mean? Name me 5 managers who have. How often do reigns end in something other than resignation or sacking? It's a maxim in football that a team's form dives when the players know their manager will be leaving at a defined time. If it helps, he probably could've turned England and us the second time around into sackings without too much difficulty. Arguably did with us, in fact - he was being steadily 'relieved of his duties'.

He's not very reliable though, is he? The fact that he's never seen out a managerial contract (unsure about whether he did at Fulham or not, maybe you can put me right?) is rather worrying.

What does that mean? Name me 5 managers who have. How often do reigns end in something other than resignation or sacking? It's a maxim in football that a team's form dives when the players know their manager will be leaving at a defined time. If it helps, he probably could've turned England and us the second time around into sackings without too much difficulty. Arguably did with us, in fact - he was being steadily 'relieved of his duties'.

Rafa, Moyes, Ferguson, Wenger have all seen out their initial contracts. Sure Southgate has as well, but sort of ruins any point i was going to make that the best and most successful mangers see out their deals  :lol:

Shearer wouldnt take the job under the conditions Keegan had either. Thats why Wise got fired.

They sacked Wise to accomodate a manager who had committed to 8 games? :lol:

I reckon so like; it wasn't necassarily eight games. If we'd stayed up, Shearer and Ashley would both be still here. (Yes i know Ashley's still here yada yada). Shearer was Ashley's last throw of the dice.

Rafa, Moyes, Ferguson, Wenger have all seen out their initial contracts. Sure Southgate has as well, but sort of ruins any point i was going to make that the best and most successful mangers see out their deals  :lol:

From Wiki:

These differences of opinion saw Benítez resign as Valencia coach in June 2004. He famously said "I asked for a table and they bought me a lampshade" in reference to the players he wanted the club to sign.