Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

This was posted by @NUFCOfficial last night:

NUFC staff and a few players having dinner together this eve, reminiscing about Sir Bobby, some wonderful - and hilarious - memories #NUFC

:) Remembered by all and solely missed. He's looking over us very well, this club has turned around titanically since his death and he would be delighted.

Guest pintofscottsellers

'Bobby Robson does a jig of delight on the touchline, then remembers, that he's nearly 69' R.I.P Sir Bob.

I cant believe it's been 3 years already  :( i was shocked and sad when he died and smiled when i saw the statue of him outside SJP.

Not only is he one of the best manager's we have ever had, but also one of the best people to grace not just Newcastle but Football in general.

R.I.P Sir Bobby, gone but never forgotten.

I do at times feel responsible as i'm sure do many for his early departure.

I left before the lap of honour against Wolves in 2004, when most people did this it led hugely to his demise IMO.

Yes we probably wouldn't have had a great season with him in charge in 2004/2005. However, 8th/9th/10th wouldn't have been as bad as 14 th under Souness and a dismantling of a side. It also would have meant we had a whole summer to find a new manager with SBR's input.

What could have been

I wouldn't feel too bad about any actions that led to his sacking, that's football and he would understand that.

Feel very grateful that we were associated with the most genuine man and manager I've ever seen, and that he eventually got his chance to manage us. Great man, and what better legacy than to be remember fondly by everyone?

I wouldn't feel too bad about any actions that led to his sacking, that's football and he would understand that.

Feel very grateful that we were associated with the most genuine man and manager I've ever seen, and that he eventually got his chance to manage us. Great man, and what better legacy than to be remember fondly by everyone?

His sacking was disgusting, it was always going to end badly once Shepherd made it public he was going at the end of the season.  He was sacked after a poor start, something which has heppened for the 2 or 3 previous seasons when we had finished so high in the league after it.

Guest reefatoon

I love that picture in one of the suite's at St James' of the great man with the Newcastle squad, at the Nou Camp on the pitch.  It's a quality photo, i'd love a good quality version of that.

Anyone know the one I mean?

'Bobby Robson does a jig of delight on the touchline, then remembers, that he's nearly 69' R.I.P Sir Bob.

Ah that was the 4-3 win at Elland Road with Nobby's late winner.

RIP Sir Bobby, you'll forever be remembered.

Was on holiday when I heard the news 3 year ago, can't believe how quick the time has passed.

I'm sure he's looking down on us delighted with the way things are going.

RIP Sir Bobby.

I love that picture in one of the suite's at St James' of the great man with the Newcastle squad, at the Nou Camp on the pitch.  It's a quality photo, i'd love a good quality version of that.

Anyone know the one I mean?

yeah, it's a fantastic image. i was at a wedding at st james a couple of months back and the reception was in the sir bobby robson suite in the gallowgate club. there's a big canvas of that image in the room along with ones of sir bobby holding the 'robson' shirt when he arrived, and a massive one of him waving to the fans spread over 3 canvases

His sacking was disgusting, it was always going to end badly once Shepherd made it public he was going at the end of the season.  He was sacked after a poor start, something which has heppened for the 2 or 3 previous seasons when we had finished so high in the league after it.

56 points the previous season was not a good total with that squad and the teams around us, whichever way you look at it, and it was only ever going to get worse.

56 points the previous season was not a good total with that squad and the teams around us, whichever way you look at it, and it was only ever going to get worse.

It wasn't only ever going to get worse, it was after we replaced him with Souness.

Guest neesy111

Things were turning soar under Robson, we just went 8 games without winning (before his sacking), erratic press conferences etc.  Though Shepherd put him in an untenable position by declaring his contract would not be renewed.

Though the decision to replace him with Souness was quite frankly the worst decision in the clubs recent history.

Things were turning soar under Robson, we just went 8 games without winning (before his sacking), erratic press conferences etc.  Though Shepherd put him in an untenable position by declaring his contract would not be renewed.

Though the decision to replace him with Souness was quite frankly the worst decision in the clubs recent history.

We should have won at least two of those games, the Boro game being the worst when they scored with a blatant handball.

It wasn't only ever going to get worse, it was after we replaced him with Souness.

Trust you to bring that up, has nothing to do with it whatsoever. The team hadn't played well for a long time and Shearer/Speed's decline compounded with ineffective summer signings made the decision inevitable, even if it could be argued it came prematurely.

Anyway, RIP. Let the weaklings try to rewrite history. We all loved him and will continue to do so.

Said this numerous times before but that situation was all Shepherd's fault.  Back him or sack him.  In the summer.

The ludicrous decision to announce it was Robson's last season wasn't the only way he was undermined either, I'm not convinced that Robson wanted the likes of Kluivert and Butt that summer.  Seem to remember reading that Robson would have preferred Carrick from West Ham ahead of Butt for starters, which would have actually worked out as a far cheaper and wiser investment.  I wasn't happy that summer and couldn't decide if I wanted him backed or sacked but you do one or the other, as I say.

Said this numerous times before but that situation was all Shepherd's fault.  Back him or sack him.  In the summer.

The ludicrous decision to announce it was Robson's last season wasn't the only way he was undermined either, I'm not convinced that Robson wanted the likes of Kluivert and Butt that summer.  Seem to remember reading that Robson would have preferred Carrick from West Ham ahead of Butt for starters, which would have actually worked out as a far cheaper and wiser investment.  I wasn't happy that summer and couldn't decide if I wanted him backed or sacked but you do one or the other, as I say.

I agree with this.

The appointment of Souness was absurd however; an awful kneejerk reaction to try to combat the 'attitude' of the likes of Dyer.

With Mick on this one, I was really disappointed with the club for how Bobby was treated. I still think he could have continued in his final season and then at the end we could have made a more considered appointment than that slut Souness