Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest thenorthumbrian

I think it is terrible.

It looks like it was knocked up at the last minute with much care, the Jackie Milburn sculpture seems to capture the essence of Wor Jackie and Sir Bobby deserves better.

The Cynic in me wonders if this is a distraction from the current owners over the renaming of St James' Park.

Ipswich got it right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/images/2005/11/18/bobby_robson_statue_sherman_300_225x300.gif 

Contrast and compare

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/thirdparty/jpg/2012/May/Week1/16223012_300x225.jpg

Great that some people love it, but while not quite the disaster I feared from Tom Maley, the end result still makes me disappointed and a little angry...

Leaving aside the likeness (and fair play, Tom did a great job on Bobbys bust inside th stadium), what the hell is going on will his hands and pockets ffs.

Forgot about that bust of his napper in the foyer. Even more reason to have a statue of someone else or at least put it in the garden with the rest of his stuff.

Not going to keep laying into the sculptor but it pisses me off that his lack of technical nouse or eye is so sodding blatent, and we're going to be reminded of it everytime we pass by the ground.

To echo The Northumbrian, Sir Bobby deserved so much better, and that is why this feels like such a kick in the nads despite it's being such a wonderful gesture.

It's a statue ffs, it's impossible to be a complete replica of the subject. Looks fine IMO, everyone knows who it is. Take a look at that Southampton one if you want to see a shite statue. :lol:

They both look great IMO, they're just different interpretations.

I like the hands in pockets and foot on the ball too... it's calm, authoritative and he looks like he's really comfortable with his experience etc.

It's a statue ffs, it's impossible to be a complete replica of the subject. Looks fine IMO, everyone knows who it is. Take a look at that Southampton one if you want to see a s**** statue. :lol:

Don't think I've ever laughed so much :lol:

I agree with Guv though, the Ipswich one has captured his likeness so well.

If the bloke that does Wallace and Gromit did a Bobby Robson film it would look like the statue.

imagine if it was just one bloke :lol:

'Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of Mackematics, released Summer 2034'