Sir Bobby Robson (1933–2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest Howaythetoon

:lol:

I was 8. I didn't cry. I did cry 18 months later when we lost at Wembley in the rain, mind.

He was my absolute hero and I was very niave, I thought without Cole, we'd slip down the divisions back into obscurity. I just thought how the hell could we sell him to Man Utd. that was the first time I ever got angry about the game and with my club. I was angry with Cole for leaving, KK for selling him, Man Utd for buying him etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Was at a Shearer and Rob Lee talk yesterday and Lee told the following story about Sir Bobby.

He was in his last year at Newcastle, 36 years old and with a contract running out. Goes to Sir Bobby, "Bobby I want a new contract". "Oh, I don't deal with contracts Rob. You'll have to see Freddy Shepherd for that".

So he goes to Freddy, "Freddy, I want a new contract".

Shepherd: "You know I don't do all that, Sir Bobby you have to talk to"

Lee: "...Right"

Back to Bobby he goes "Bobby, you're the one who deals with contracts".

SBR: "Yeap"

Lee: "I want a new contract".

SBR: "Can't really do that, Rob. You're 36, legs are gone"

Lee: "Okay, well I know West Ham are interested, so how about letting me go?"

SBR: "Ohh, Can't do that, Rob. You're my best player!"

:lol:

Was telling the GF about Sir Bobby today, just general chit-chat and couldn't help but feel proud / gutted he isn't still here. What a top bloke. Absolute hero.

I'm always going on about him to my girlfriend because she only started supporting Newcastle after meeting me 6 years ago, and I want her to know what it was like supporting us when he was in charge. Always felt great knowing that Bobby was the manager and that all the fans and the players seemed to love him. I used to love all his post-match interviews as well, his pride at managing Newcastle always shone through and he was such a great ambassador for the club. She's only really known us with Pardew and Carver in charge, who are about as far away from Bobby as you can get in pretty much every way. I actually feel a bit sorry for her thinking about it like that. :lol:

• 2 months later...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/10085117/five-unlikely-title-challenges-from-premier-league-history

Newcastle 2001/02

Newcastle had been bottom of the Premier League when Sir Bobby Robson took over in 1999 and finished outside the top 10 in his first full season in charge. But it all came together in the 2001/02 season as Newcastle qualified for the Champions League.

It threatened to be even better than that. Robson freshened up his forward options in the summer with the additions of Craig Bellamy and Laurent Robert, and both were quick to make an impact - Bellamy in the Tyne-Wear derby and Robert with the opener in a 4-3 win over Manchester United.

Once again, Newcastle's tag as 'the entertainers' rang true. They put four past Middlesbrough, Bolton and Leeds - all away from home - while proving their unpredictability by also losing convincingly against West Ham and Fulham.

But five wins on the bounce in December, including a 3-1 win at Arsenal thanks to late goals from Alan Shearer and the mercurial Robert, suggested the consistency had been found. At Christmas, they boasted a three-point lead over Liverpool and the Gunners at the top of the Premier League.

Back-to-back defeats to Chelsea and United might have ended Newcastle's hopes but by the time that Nikos Dabizas headed in the only goal of the game at Sunderland in late February, Robson's side were back in second spot. In fact, they were two points behind United with a game in hand.

However, it was Arsenal that they needed to worry about. Arsene Wenger's team won at St James' Park in the very next game as part of an incredible run of 13 straight Premier League victories. By then, the table looked emphatic. In truth, Newcastle had been in the hunt well into the spring.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/10085117/five-unlikely-title-challenges-from-premier-league-history

Newcastle 2001/02

Newcastle had been bottom of the Premier League when Sir Bobby Robson took over in 1999 and finished outside the top 10 in his first full season in charge. But it all came together in the 2001/02 season as Newcastle qualified for the Champions League.

It threatened to be even better than that. Robson freshened up his forward options in the summer with the additions of Craig Bellamy and Laurent Robert, and both were quick to make an impact - Bellamy in the Tyne-Wear derby and Robert with the opener in a 4-3 win over Manchester United.

Once again, Newcastle's tag as 'the entertainers' rang true. They put four past Middlesbrough, Bolton and Leeds - all away from home - while proving their unpredictability by also losing convincingly against West Ham and Fulham.

But five wins on the bounce in December, including a 3-1 win at Arsenal thanks to late goals from Alan Shearer and the mercurial Robert, suggested the consistency had been found. At Christmas, they boasted a three-point lead over Liverpool and the Gunners at the top of the Premier League.

Back-to-back defeats to Chelsea and United might have ended Newcastle's hopes but by the time that Nikos Dabizas headed in the only goal of the game at Sunderland in late February, Robson's side were back in second spot. In fact, they were two points behind United with a game in hand.

However, it was Arsenal that they needed to worry about. Arsene Wenger's team won at St James' Park in the very next game as part of an incredible run of 13 straight Premier League victories. By then, the table looked emphatic. In truth, Newcastle had been in the hunt well into the spring.

It just makes me sad reading that :( Oh how I miss having a team to be proud of these days.

Now we're a fucking million miles away from ever being in that position again, feeling proud of the team or actually looking forward to the weekend to watch the match.

• 2 months later...

Great idea and a fantastic gesture from Widnes Vikings following on from what they did last year.

Also a canny alternative for those still wanting to wear black and white stripes without a loan shark splashed on their chest. Another added bonus is the money goes to a great cause;

http://www.widnesvikings.co.uk/news/article/48476/im-on-it-for-sir

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

A beautiful man, a beautiful human being, a great manager, a great person and an absolute legend of the game. If I could recommend someone as the ultimate face of being an all-round great person he would be it. Sir Bobby man, what a bloke!