Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

Guest Ebolarama

Nice quotes from Boas in the Guardian today:

"[Mourinho] introduced me to professional football, and I'd like to dedicate this to him and to someone who has already left us, but was decisive in my career: Sir Bobby Robson.

"I never had the opportunity to say farewell to him. I'd like to dedicate this to him and his wife, Elsie, and thank him for everything he's done for me."

Nice quotes from Boas in the Guardian today:

"[Mourinho] introduced me to professional football, and I'd like to dedicate this to him and to someone who has already left us, but was decisive in my career: Sir Bobby Robson.

"I never had the opportunity to say farewell to him. I'd like to dedicate this to him and his wife, Elsie, and thank him for everything he's done for me."

From the Independent a while back:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/crucial-role-of-boy-scout-who-is-mourinhos-eyes-and-ears-552798.html

Villas's meteoric rise through the ranks owes much to his hard work and enthusiasm, but the Portuguese coach is the first to admit that the roots to his success are English. "When Mr Bobby Robson came to Porto to be a coach in 1994," Villas recalls, "he moved into my building. I was a small boy, but because I was so interested in football I went to his flat to try to meet him.

"He liked my passion so helped me to enrol at Lilleshall to take my FA coaching qualifications. He also arranged for me to do my Scottish qualifications in Largs and spend some time at Ipswich with George Burley to see the team train." Villas was just 17. "I started very young in Lilleshall," he says. "In fact, I shouldn't really have been there, because the law doesn't allow a minor to take qualifications. But Bobby [Robson] smoothed the way with Mr Charles Hughes [the former head of coaching at the Centre of Excellence] and I was allowed in to take my Uefa C badges

• 2 weeks later...
Guest johnson293

:thup:

had a walk past and took a few before west brom...the sculptures are top class

Same here. Wasn't there early for the unveiling by his wife and sons, but took my son past pre-match to have a look.

Just hope they and the gardens are treated with respect and not vandalised at all.

Where is that? Might go and have a gander if you can as Joe Public.

They are directly opposite the archway to china town, next to St James Metro Car Park.

http://tinyurl.com/6j7kkf7

Can't believe this is rolling up to two years already :(

I've no doubt he'll be standing somewhere, watching every game with a smile on his face, beaming with pride.