What is your most treasured memory of Sir Bobby?

Ash

Thought I'd start a new thread on this, rather than add it to the condolence thread.

What memory do you have of Sir Bobby that will always live with you? Is there a game that stands out that makes you think of him?

For me, Sunday's game ranks right up there. Seeing the usual joyous smile on his face, despite him knowing how ill he was, sums the man up, especially in the picture below. He looked absolutely delighted with the reception he got and the way his face lit up when he entered the pitch was amazing.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/c1/d9/0,,10278~6805953,00.jpg

I'll 2nd that.

For me though - it was him giving us the belief back in our club and his team providing some wonderful football and entertainment. Will never forget those CL nights - either going to games or watching them on TV. Me going to Turin to watch us play Juventus seems like a million years ago now. All down pretty much to one man.

my first memory was wagging school to get the bus down to Wembley in 1983, to watch us lose 1-0 to Denmark, And see Bobbys England team fail to Qualify for Euro 84, was my only England Game. :-( He gave us great world cups in 86+90 , i still believe we were good enough both them years.

When he turned us round as a club , for a brief time I actually thought he could win us the league.

Guest Heneage

Loads of Newcastle games;

2-0 vs Sunderland

4-3 Man Utd

3-1 Arsenal

4-3 Leeds

And numerous others that escape me right now.

That Feyenoord match. At that time I was starting to get more and more into Newcastle and we didnt get Premierleague on tv then so I didnt get to watch us a lot (at all). But this CL game was on live. The match was just unbelievable, such a roller coaster. And the feeling in the end was something completely new for me at the time.

I dont think I got any sleep during that night.'

I think it was Mowen that alluded to it earlier... that little jig of delight on the touchline at Elland Road  :smitten:

probably this one. feyenoord and the cup semi-final when rob lee scored come close though.

actually, also seeing him there with the 'robson' shirt outside the old supporters shop at st james, sir bobby was here @ st james to sort us out

I think it was Mowen that alluded to it earlier... that little jig of delight on the touchline at Elland Road  :smitten:

:thup:

I preferred the Feyenoord game, and his tapping of his head to make sure people were concentrating was legendary, but that jig of delight was amazing. To have that much passion and care that much... just brilliant.

I will never forget some of his wondeful quotes:  :smitten:

“We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.”

"Nobby Solano discharged himself from hospital after the Tottenham game and he's driving, living the life and aware of who he is.”

"We can't replace Gary Speed. Where do you get an experienced player like him with a left foot and a head?"

"Gary Speed has never played better, never looked fitter, never been older."

“Alan Shearer has done very well for us, considering his age. We have introduced some movement into his game because he has got two good legs now. Last season he played with one leg.”

“He's very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of himself nobody will catch him.”

"We don't want our players to be monks, we want them to be football players because a monk doesn't play football at this level."

Every time he spoke. He was just a delight. I'll never forget the way he managed to convey everything that was tremendous about the game, every time he fronted up for a press conference or was on the tele. A beautiful man.

I posted this in the match thread last week:

Beating Arsenal at Highbury 3-1

Beating Man Utd 4-3

Beating Leeds 4-3 away

Beating Juve

Drawing with Inter away

Beating Spurs 4-0 with the fantastic Robert goals

Beating Shef Wed 8-0

Feyenoord away was amazing

Also some fine players: Robert, Bellamy, Shearer, Acuna, Solano, Bernard, Dyer, Speed, Woodgate etc (I know some were not signed by SBR

Does anyone remember the post match interview after Spurs beat us once? I'm pretty sure that to explain the defeat he made some sort of PR woman pretend to be Nobby Solano whilst he acted out how Gus Poyet was running rings around him and finding space. Genius. :lol:

Guest Heneage

That Feyenoord match. At that time I was starting to get more and more into Newcastle and we didnt get Premierleague on tv then so I didnt get to watch us a lot (at all). But this CL game was on live. The match was just unbelievable, such a roller coaster. And the feeling in the end was something completely new for me at the time.

I remember that!

I went to the toliet at 2-2 and heard the shouts of "AND BELLAMY!" went mental, what a night.

It's actually my earliest footballing memory.

Not really understanding football and not having much of a passion for it at 12, to be in the same room as my step-dad, brother and uncle all watching this match with anticipation and their utter celebration when Bellamy scored the winner was a fantastic feeling.

It was Bobby who got me into football.

The idea that Bobby used to listen to Solano play trumpet down the phone, as the story went at the time.  Just a surreal and brilliant thought, whether it was true or not I dunno.

Was that not Kenny D? Always had the idea in my head that he'd ring up Nobby to see how he was doing so Nobby, unable to speak English, would play the trumpet. Cracking story whoever it was.

The idea that Bobby used to listen to Solano play trumpet down the phone, as the story went at the time.  Just a surreal and brilliant thought, whether it was true or not I dunno.

Was that not Kenny D? Always had the idea in my head that he'd ring up Nobby to see how he was doing so Nobby, unable to speak English, would play the trumpet. Cracking story whoever it was.

Hmm maybe, I guess it would actually make more sense if he was swapping musical ideas with Kenny G over the phone, who knows though.

For me the Feynoord game, but as this thread will prove there were so many great memories. Certainly a brilliant period to be a Newcastle fan. Dabizas 1-0 another highlight.