Managerial choices if/when Ashley decides to stay

Dave

To think the NUFC manager job used to be described as the poison chalice. It definitely is now. Who would even take the job? No money for new players, current players wanting to leave and an owner who is willing to sell any player if a suitable offer is received. Kinnear is about the level of manager who'd take the job.

El Tel - too expensive

Curbishley - left West Ham because he did not have control over the team

Coppell - really don't think he would want the hassle and has always seemed happier at smaller clubs.

Strachan - Can't imagine him putting up with this carry on either

I keep hearing the name of Tisdale but I don't know anything about him.

TBH any decent manager wouldn't come near it.  They are likely to be appointed with a decimated squad when it is too late to bring players in.  And then presumably the club will remain for sale so they won't know how long they will have a job for.  They will also have to contend with the huge disappointment from supporters because Shearer has not been given the job.

The only one I can think of would be O'Leary because he is supposedly a friend of Llambias and is desperate.  And no doubt they will have to be cheap.

We would have to ask Villa fans for a loan of their "We're not fickle, we just don't like you" banner.

I bet the cowards wouldn't tell Shearer either - he will probably find out they have appointed another manager from SSN.

I have never really been keen on any one particular choice of manager - more a case of who I don't want and I have never been pro any of the recent ones  (except Keegan which was completely unexpected) and I was furious with the Kinnear appointment but for some reason, I really want Shearer to get the job.  I didn't use to think he would be a good manager but my opinion has changed and I think he would do a lot of things right and as a club, we need to rediscover our soul and rebuild almost from scratch and I think we need someone who actually cares about the club and what it means to the city rather than someone who is desperate for a job or self-promotion.  Sir Bobby thought Shearer was the man for the job so he must have seen something in him to continually push for him.

I wish we would finally take a punt on an unknown, give him time to run the club professionally and see where we go.

Maybe find a promising youth coach or such. Off the top of my head, Gerard Houllier and Rafa Benitez were youth coaches before making the step up.

Can't see him forking out the big wages required to get some of the guys mentioned here. I don't even think he'll fork out for JK again. Know idea who'll be available for the pasty and the two packs of crisps he'll be offering as a contract.

George Graham - been out the game a while though

Glenn Roeder - knows the club, could possibly unite the players

Paul Jewell - Has history of getting promotion from the Championship

John Carver - A geordie, would be a gamble but it might pay off

Ian Dowie - Not quite the Shearer dream ticket, but could possibly do a job

Gordon Strachan - Worth asking, although given the remit they'll have possibly not

El Tel - Snubbed Ashley once before, no reason why he'd say yes this time

JFK - Would come back straight away, although I think it would be seriously detrimental to his health

Gary Speed - No experience but highly rated as a coach, knows the club and wouldn't cost the earth

Thing is, unless MA wants to see the club go under, he has to get this right. He either has to sell or make a go of it. We've got a good price for Martins, Likely to make a huge profit on Bassong, good price for Beye looks likely. Get rid of the likes of Jonas and Collocini and make at least half of this money available to an experienced manager, and I think we'd have enough to escape this division

Venables snubbed last time cos MA was only willing to give him a 6 week contract. Presumably if he was given the season he would have come, might accept this time but not sure why he would

It would have to be someone who doesn't currently have a job so no compensation would need paying, someone who would work under Ashley and his wacky decision making, someone willing to accept the job in the knowledge that they'd probably be sacked the moment someone is willing to buy the club and someone who was managing a club in the mid-90's since that's the only period that Ashley appears to have any knowledge about.

El-Tel or O'Dreary probably.

If he's not going to sell then it should be Shearer, otherwise the whole business of appointing him in the first place was a mockery. In any case I fully expect the fat fool to make yet another stupid decision, why change a losing formula?

Guest Roger Kint

If he's not going to sell then it should be Shearer, otherwise the whole business of appointing him in the first place was a mockery. In any case I fully expect the fat fool to make yet another stupid decision, why change a losing formula?

Seeing as Shearer will demand a lot of incomings and a fair wedge in wages this is a non starter

All out of work Championship managers would come Dowie, Boothroyd, Coppell etc

Dowie would come as assistant ffs