Sebastien Bassong signs for Tottenham Hotspur, fee undisclosed

Crumpy Gunt

You'd like to think that even without a new manager/ owner that this will lead to us signing a couple of players - and sharpish. Although these sales were enivitable it must be a bit demoralising for the rest of the players. We'd better wrap the players up in cotton wool ahead of Saturday or we'll have no defence or strikers.

Only players with no other offers will sign for a club in our situation.

not happy with the fee, especially after the £10m bid had me dreaming of £12m+ figures.

not happy with the club and manager he's signed for.....signing for spurs just makes him more dislikeable now

not happy that its one of the players shearer wanted to keep, so how will he react to this?

we could easily have haggled for more and turned it into a bidding war towards his market value, instead of caving in

Thanks for absolutely nothing Seb.

What about bringing in 16 times the fee we paid and being our best player for the whole season?

Or did you expect us to keep him? ..Nothing like being bitter though.

Good luck to the lad, i don't mind that it's Spurs either, he will get a lot of first team appearances in a team that was performing very well indeed at the close of the season.

Gurantee there's a sell on clause with Metz, or are you only bothered about making profits? Why couldn't we keep him sorry he's on like 5k a week. One of the few I thought we would, but hey nothing like being optimistic.

The lad was the first one wanting out, when he'd been far from perfect. Showed all the loyalty and class I'd expect.

Loyalty?! he was here a year, he had 4 managers, his team mates were on 10 times as much as him and they gave up half-way through the year.  When he was negotiating a new contract talks halted or ground to a close IIRC and he should be playing in the Premier League.  He has ambitions, and didn't want to be at a club which is frankly a joke at the minute.

Completely understandable.

I also do care about the fee, anything that helps keep the club running in these times can only be a good thing.

What about loyalty to the fans that have shown him nothing but support? He's hardly been the perfect defender, or are we ignoring the 2-3 red cards he picked up? The irony being it was his poor positioning that cost us the goal away to Tottenham.

I overlook those because i saw a player who played out of his skin and was our best performer.  He started the season as a good prospect, no one seriously expected anything of him this year.  Or do you ignore that?

He had a few bad games, he is 23 in his maiden season in the Premier League.. why do you expect a 'perfect' defender?  I honestly believe Vidic or Ferdinand couldn't of done a lot better in our circumstances.

Stop going on about loyalty, he was here less than a year...  He owed Metz a lot more than us, he is not from this part of the world and bigger clubs are interested in him - who will offer him more than 5k.

You're one of these people that don't blame the players for wanting to leave aren't you?

The ones that have done nothing wrong ie: Bassong, Beye, Martins yee i don't blame them, they can further their careers elsewhere.  The Nolans, Collocini's, Butt's' of the world it's a different story, i blame their very poor performances for being were we are now.

So what exactly do you blame Bassong for out of curiosity? for his 3 red cards? poor positional sense against Spurs?  Not being the perfect defender at 23?  or are you just stupidly bitter?

You blame Nolan???

FFS the lad was brought in in the January window, and started 10 games. A bit harsh to blame him for our relegation when the likes of Guttierez, Duff et al had longer at being shite for us.

Nolan could at least have had the professionlism to stay fit. He arrived in bad shape and he looks in even worse shape now. I'm not saying he's a fag smoking beer monster but I don't have any proof he isn't either.

Bassong: Why I had to leave Toon for Spurs Aug 06 2009

SEBASTIEN BASSONG today claimed he had “no choice” but to quit Newcastle United. Bassong was expected to be unveiled in a Tottenham shirt today with a fee of around £8m set to be agreed between Newcastle and Spurs.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/06/bassong-why-i-had-to-leave-toon-for-spurs-72703-24332142/

Mind he was more of a lucky defender, he got away with a lot, should have seen a few more red cards and we got away with a good few decent pen shouts against him.

I know it lessens the pain when you have a go at players that have left, so do what you have to. However, Bassong is a big talent and he will go on to great things.

Not his fault the club is in a complete state at the moment. If Shearer had been installed and all was relatively calm he would have stayed.

Mind he was more of a lucky defender, he got away with a lot, should have seen a few more red cards and we got away with a good few decent pen shouts against him.

I know it lessens the pain when you have a go at players that have left, so do what you have to. However, Bassong is a big talent and he will go on to great things.

Not his fault the club is in a complete state at the moment. If Shearer had been installed and all was relatively calm he would have stayed.

Would he bollocks, the second we went down he was off, if he had been kpt it would have doen to Al telling him he was not being sold not him saying he wanted to stay

8 million is hardly, "on the cheap". It is a very correct fee for the player in an objectivee sense. Obviously I would have preferred us to rape some poor team for 15 million, but that was always very unlikely given our state.

If he had two years left on his contract then there was no need to sell him for less than £10m. Lots of players agitate for moves, like Gareth Barry at Villa, it doesn't mean you have to give in to the blackmail. if another team wants a player they will pay a good fee.

8 million is hardly, "on the cheap". It is a very correct fee for the player in an objectivee sense. Obviously I would have preferred us to rape some poor team for 15 million, but that was always very unlikely given our state.

If he had two years left on his contract then there was no need to sell him for less than £10m. Lots of players agitate for moves, like Gareth Barry at Villa, it doesn't mean you have to give in to the blackmail. if another team wants a player they will pay a good fee.

Jokes aside, I actually believe he was doing his mate a bit of a favour, which is pretty despicable.

Keith Harris came out and said we sold Martins for the following reasons:

He was a high wage earner,

The fee was good to get in to help sell the club,

He was not suited to the Championship.

I wonder what the official line will be on this sale of a younger, better player on much less wages for less money.

I wonder what the official line will be on this sale of a younger, better player on much less wages for less money.

The fact that he is refusing to play until he is sold?

Needs to shoulder the blame for our defeat to Fulham and therefore meek surrender at Villa when he was suspended.

Signed for £500K and sold a year later for £8M, cracking bit of business really for someone who has only played 30 PL games.

Guest toonlass

Because we paid bugger all for him, he doesn't want to stay and we have been offered £8 million for a lad who has played one season in the premiership.

Making shit up again I see.

Making shit up again I see.

He was fined for refusing to travel. Apologise please.