Sebastien Bassong signs for Tottenham Hotspur, fee undisclosed

Crumpy Gunt

Actually makes a bit of sense,  I guess.  If he isn't registered for Spurs by the deadline for our game,  then he's almost "locked" into our club until our game has passed,  like any new signing wouldn't be about to play if he missed the deadline.  As they're counting him as our player,  he is technically suspended,  thus being over suspension when the paperwork came into effect from (I assume) monday morning.

Highly bollocks based on a load of technicalitys really.  Spurs obviously knew exactly what they were doing by getting him when they did.

I'm sure they announced that he'd signed before the Saturday match tho with him posing in their shirt. I'd understand if he hadn't signed officially til then and I was expecting them to do that.. this is just a slap in the face almost.

Yeah.  As far as the FA are concerned though,  it doesn't go through till they get their paperwork.  Loads of players (Gareth Barry to Man City for example) join clubs outside of the window and pose with the shirt etc,  but the paperwork doesn't 'officially' go through till July 1st.

Never mind,  here's hoping they have a fucking shocking season.

should've screwed them over really.. somehow.. f*** it

What pisses me off is that we could've easily had Dos Santos or some other remotely promising fucker in exchange.. after all them Spurs have one of the best academies ever

Guest kingdawson

All depends what time the paperwork was completed. We all saw him posing in the shirt but if the paperwork didn't actually go through until after 7pm on Saturday night then I can't see the problem.

However, if they had the paperwork done then surely it's Bassong who's suspended for the game, regardless of who he plays for?  ???

All pretty irrelevant as far as we're concerned though, nothing much to get too worked up at.

:thup:

Guest Heneage

Apparently, Bassong's reasoning for not playing was, "If the club are going to make life difficult for me, I'll make life difficult for them."

Apparently, Bassong's reasoning for not playing was, "If the club are going to make life difficult for me, I'll make life difficult for them."

ungrateful little **** who had heard of him before last year? now everyone is going to be praising arry saying oh where did he find such a player etc and meanwhile i'll be slowly going more and more insane over it

ungrateful little **** who had heard of him before last year? now everyone is going to be praising arry saying oh where did he find such a player etc and meanwhile i'll be slowly going more and more insane over it

They won't like, considering everyone knows where Redknapp got him from and that he's paid big money for him :)  Bassong's obviously a prick and soon he'll be making noises about leaving the Spuds, at least we made a huge profit on him.

i wonder if he'd have cited his contract had he been shit and we wanted to sack him because of it.

my hatred for many footballers is building. "i want everything in my favour and i don't give a fuck what shit it causes for others" seem very much the attitude.

i wonder if he'd have cited his contract had he been shit and we wanted to sack him because of it.

my hatred for many footballers is building. "i want everything in my favour and i don't give a fuck what shit it causes for others" seem very much the attitude.

If it's good enough for Owen why not lesser mortals?

i wonder if he'd have cited his contract had he been s*** and we wanted to sack him because of it.

my hatred for many footballers is building. "i want everything in my favour and i don't give a f*** what s*** it causes for others" seem very much the attitude.

doesn't matter who it is, it's twattish.

when did owen say he wanted to leave or agitated for a move when under contract ?

i wonder if he'd have cited his contract had he been s*** and we wanted to sack him because of it.

my hatred for many footballers is building. "i want everything in my favour and i don't give a f*** what s*** it causes for others" seem very much the attitude.

when did owen say he wanted to leave or agitated for a move when under contract ?

Didn't Sven Goran quote him in a Sunday paper? Was Owen being paid 5k a week? Has he taken a pay cut to play for someone else? Did Bassong send a brochure to other clubs while still under contract to Newcastle Utd?

Lots of interesting comparisons if you want to draw them.

Didn't Sven Goran quote him in a Sunday paper? Was Owen being paid 5k a week? Has he taken a pay cut to play for someone else? Did Bassong send a brochure to other clubs while still under contract to Newcastle Utd?

owens brochure was in the last 6 months of his contract when he can do stuff like that.

don't really see what the other things have to do with it. has he been rubbish would he have said "fair do's i've been cack, rip up my contract it's what i deserve"

owens brochure was in the last 6 months of his contract when he can do stuff like that.

don't really see what the other things have to do with it. has he been rubbish would he have said "fair do's i've been cack, rip up my contract it's what i deserve"

Well he was rubbish and I didn't see him offer to rip up his contract which was worth quite a lot IIRC.

Well he was rubbish and I didn't see him offer to rip up his contract which was worth quite a lot IIRC.

thats the point. if the contract is good enough to stand when they are shit, they should respect it to cut the other way.

thats the point. if the contract is good enough to stand when they are shit, they should respect it to cut the other way.

That only happens with players on the way down though. Not players on the way up.

thats the point. if the contract is good enough to stand when they are s***, they should respect it to cut the other way.

That only happens with players on the way down though. Not players on the way up.

it can happen as much with supposed players on the way up if they don't progress. do you think they think half way through their contracts "i'm not good enough...i'll leave to find my true level and take a pay cut along with it" or do you think to get at least some of the wage we give them a free or subsidise their wgae at the new club.

thats the point. if the contract is good enough to stand when they are s***, they should respect it to cut the other way.

it can happen as much with supposed players on the way up if they don't progress. do you think they think half way through their contracts "i'm not good enough...i'll leave to find my true level and take a pay cut along with it" or do you think to get at least some of the wage we give them a free or subsidise their wgae at the new club.

Well, six months ago I suppose Darren Bent would have preferred to sign for Newcastle rather than Sunderland. Everything's subjective.

Well, six months ago I suppose Darren Bent would have preferred to sign for Newcastle rather than Sunderland. Everything's subjective.

and while he was under contract to spuds i'd expect hiom to respect the contract in the same way the club has to. if he wants away he knows the correct,legitimate,upfront,non-twattish procedure.

To be honest, I cant see what the problem is. Bassong clearly wanted to leave and why shouldnt he if he believes he is good enough to play at a higher standard.

We have been no angels in the past ourselves and have basically got good deals off struggling clubs, particularly Leeds with Woodgate and Milner, who we bought well below their real value and sold them on at massive profits in a short period of time.

Anyway, by all accounts, Basssong was a reasonable player in a relegation side and if we got no more than 8 million quid for a player we bought for half a million a year earlier, smacks of good business to me, especially considering he doesnt want to play for us any longer.

My main issue is that the 8 million should have been invested immediately in several championship players such as Beckford of Leeds, Turner of Coventry etc. and clearly, that is not going to happen.

To be honest, I cant see what the problem is. Bassong clearly wanted to leave and why shouldnt he if he believes he is good enough to play at a higher standard.

We have been no angels in the past ourselves and have basically got good deals off struggling clubs, particularly Leeds with Woodgate and Milner, who we bought well below their real value and sold them on at massive profits in a short period of time.

Anyway, by all accounts, Basssong was a reasonable player in a relegation side and if we got no more than 8 million quid for a player we bought for half a million a year earlier, smacks of good business to me, especially considering he doesnt want to play for us any longer.

My main issue is that the 8 million should have been invested immediately in several championship players such as Beckford of Leeds, Turner of Coventry etc. and clearly, that is not going to happen.

Yes, this is correct.

Also, why anyone is surprised when a footballer - esp a foreign one - shows no club loyalty when the club he plays for operates in such a shambolic way ?

Too much naivety shown by some fans - footballers DO NOT CARE about fans, esp if they are from a different country(or even a different region).

My only problem with the Bassong deal is that the price was too low but that is the penalty you pay for being relegated, on the market, and in debt....

and while he was under contract to spuds i'd expect hiom to respect the contract in the same way the club has to. if he wants away he knows the correct,legitimate,upfront,non-twattish procedure.

A football agent who goes on a Spurs forum said that when a player goes injured in pre-season, it's 33% likely he's injured, 33% likely the club have pulled him out due to an impending transfer and the rest the player has pulled himself out to make sure he doesn't get injured which might scupper a move.  It was widely reported at the time that Berbatov pulled out of a couple of matches, Keane was reported doing the same before going to Liverpool.  I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but it seems to be far from being a rare occurence.