The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Good post Sewelly. I watched Cameroon in one game & Makoun & Mbia were poorer than any CM players I have seen in CCC this season. Drogba was a none event at ACN, same with Eto & Egypt does not even pick players that many us would expect in Zaki & Mido & are still doing well.

Babatunde, I see your point about W/C's. I wonder if the squeeze on ACN that the Arab nations have is as I said down to picking squads made up of domestic players, who play in other African countries regularly through CAF Champions League. Where as a World Cup tournament is out of there comfort zone.

Is it still de rigeur to use the word "naive" whilst talking about African teams?

Can't wait to hear that old chestnut over and over again at the World Cup in the summer.

Talking of African teams, every time I hear Cameroon mentioned, my mind goes back to the first game of the 1990 World Cup, watching Cameroon beat Argentina in the Cradlewell in Jesmond on the day of my last final exam, and a toothless, pissed-as-fuck 80 something bloke constantly shouting "it's the Cameroons, man, they're bettah than Brazil!" over and over.

That was my last engagement with African football.

So, it's the WBA (3rd place team) gap that I'm concerned about, the quicker we make a big gap there the better, Lets hope Ipswitch can get something from that game. Now that I've said that though, WBA will score aload of goals.