The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Heh, Jake Howells playing left back for Luton was in the year below me at school. Knew he was there but didn't know he was in and around the first team. Used to play against Ryan Charles who's sitting on the bench as well for my Sunday team. Weird.

For the 2nd time in 4 years Bahrain find themself 1 game away from the world cup, can't wait for saturday's game against New Zealand on saturday, bound to end in heartbreak though.

I'm still undecided as to whether it's a good thing or not that a load of shit teams like this can make it to the world cup rather than it being (roughly) the best 32 in the world. Overall I think it's just about a good thing. Obviously now I've said this we'll get one of these two in our group and they'll beat us.

I tend to think it's more important in a World Cup to have a proportionate number of teams from the different regions of the World, rather than to have just the best 32 teams. A tournament made up almost entirely of European and South American countries wouldn't be as interesting imo.

I think it's best if there's mainly the best teams, but a few "wildcard" ones that really shouldn't be there, makes it more interesting imo. Kind of like "the magic of the FA Cup" where the underdogs can beat the big boys on a one-off.

Agree with midds though, immensely looking forward to Seth Efrika 2010.

Guest kingdawson

Aye, it's nice to see different countries from different parts of the world compete. Part of what makes the World Cup so special.

Looking forward to this one quite a bit actually. :)