The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

When you consider that's last year's 6th and 7th best teams, it's even more pathetic that we got relegated.

Dismal.

*files nails*

Having watched the surreal, Duchampian absurdity of our opening match against Wigan, I am quite happy to sit and watch 90 minutes of dross that results in us winning.

We have a real issue at home. Away from home, we're pretty impressive, but at home, we're fecking awful, which is why MON is getting the stick he is (and those who say 'Oooh those impatient Villa fans booing after one match, like that twat Marina Hyde in the Guardian this week, do not realise this, but it was like that at home almost all last season).

Poor attendance at Villa Park.  32,917 when the park takes 42,640.  Almost 10,000 empty seats.  Hey, but no worries, Newcastle fans are abandoning their club after relegation.   We can't even fill our measly 52,000 in the championship.  Now that's something to write about.

*Waiting for Brummie to come up with some sensual explanation*

That's our lowest crowd in ages.

I wasn't there (although I am counted as there as I am a season ticket holder and gave my ticket to a mate for today).

The recession is hitting the West Midlands harder than it is anywhere else, and the excitement just isn't there this season after yet another pedestrian transfer window.

Incidentally, that is a poor crowd, but Everton, for example, got quite a few crowds that small last season, whereas that is 3,000 below our lowest last year.