West Brom 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 08/08/09 - post match reaction from page 34

Dave

Ameobi- You f***ing useless c***, f*** off, you can't shoot, you can't tackle, your control is that of a child in flippers. I hate you, and I mean that, I don't hate many things, but I hate you. You put no effort in whatsoever, you amble around like it's training. I'd much rather put Ranger, Zamblera, Baheng, Lua Lua, anyone but you, just go away, don't die you can live, but just f*** off, you utter bellend.

this. only hughton could have taken carroll off, maybe kinnear as well. those being the only 2 in the world, not even souness

I thought Carroll, Smith, Duff and to an extent Shola and Nolan played pretty well today. Taylor played well apart from some 'i must have left my brain on the floor' moments, and Krul was fantastic but a little flappy with crosses.

Nice match and good to be enjoying football again!

Okay, these were my opinions on the players performances.

Harper - 5

Can't remember him having to do much, and he did flap for the goal unfortunately. Bravely tried to make up for it, but its what you would expect a keeper to do.

Ryan Taylor - 6

Was really poor, abysmal to be honest in the first half, both defensively and on the ball, and was to blame for the goal. However to be fair to him, although he still looked shaky at times he did put in a good defensive shift in the second half.

Steven Taylor - 8

To be quite honest, I think he's showing signs of really maturing. Played a clever game, and won all his head-to-head battles without exposing the defence by getting drawn out of position. Possibly the best defender in this division, I'd certainly rather have him playing for us than against us.

Coloccini - 2

A complete mess. Poor marking, and gets owned by a Championship level kid. I was worried everytime the ball went near him.

Enrique - 7

Showed that good strength an composure he has and got forward well. Despite all the running on the counter-attack, and all the praise he got off the Beeb, I personally think Enrique got the better of this battle as all Brunt ever really managed to do was pull back and keep possession.

Duff - 6

Apart from his chance, he didn't really get involved in the first half. Was a bit better in the second half when he looked for the ball more, and scored a good goal, but just didn't get the ball enough.

Nolan - 5

Truly shocking for large periods of the game, he just isn't where he is supposed to be most the time, and missed a really good chance. He could do so much better (see the assist) if he kept in good shape.

Smith - 9 and MOTM

Carried out his role as a defensive midfielder superbly today, and he played a huge role in helping us control possession. Nothing to criticise today.

Jonas - 3

We'd have won this game today if he wasn't on the pitch. His tight dribbling looks really good, and he won free kicks, but time and time again he completely took the momentum and impetus out of the team when we looked most dangerous. Going down for nothing when he looked like beating his man was bad enough, but time and time again we could have played a couple of quick passes and had a shot on goal, but he got his head down, slowed down and just meandered aimlessly on the ball. I have a feeling people are going to disagree with me on this one, but if all he can do is dribble really well and win freekicks (when he isn't giving the ball away by going to ground too easily), then he is no use to us.

Ameobi - 6

Essentially he was feeding off scraps and playing like a pinball, but I wouldn't write him off yet, he has much more pace and physical presence at this level relative to the opposition, and teams wont want to play against him. we just need to get some chances to him and see if he can finish them now he is playing against worser players.

Carroll - 7

Like Shola we didn't really get any clear cut chances to him, but he won a hell of a lot in the air, his flick-ons were good, and should be a good focal point of the team this season. I was also impressed by his tanacity, but perhaps he tried too hard and tired himself out.

Krul - 8

Really top class saves. Had two flaps, but also made some good catches so I'll let him off. Shearer was raving about Krul's kicking, and I've heard similar from others so I gave it a look. Noted that he had a knack of finding his man, but also putting the ball in a place where the target can move forward from it. Two of our better attacks in the second half started from a Krul kick.

Barton - 6

Got involved.

Ranger - n/a

Good harrying of defenders, and the knock back for Duff at the death was pretty good.

I worry because those 2 strikers wont do anything at all this season

With a better partner Carroll will.

speculation mate. Realistically Carroll has played with better players than that useless c*** and still looked out of his depth

specuation mate. Realistically Carroll has played with better players than that useless c*** and still looked out of his depth

It's also speculation that they both won't do anything of course. :thup:

specuation mate. Realistically Carroll has played with better players than that useless c*** and still looked out of his depth

Carroll never looked out of his depth last season, bar a cameo v Man City.

speculation mate. Realistically Carroll has played with better players than that useless c*** and still looked out of his depth

He didn't even look out of his depth today.  :laugh2: One of the best on the field in the first half and this is against one the better teams in the division.

Some of some people's ratings as well.  :lol:

A few obesrvations:

1) That away kit is still lush

2) Carroll and Jonas look identical (apart from facial hair)

3) Coloccini isnt even Championship standard

4) Alan Smith was pretty handy today

5) Carroll and Ameobi as a partnership will get us nowhere

6) BBC need to stop slow-mo replays of Alan Smith tapping his head/Krul fist pumping

7) Ranger coming on was like the birth of a child to me

8) Ryan Taylor is RUBBISH

9) Watching Tim Krul at corners/crosses will haunt my dreams

10) For all the fears about this season...we'll be fine.

Okay, these were my opinions on the players performances.

Jonas - 3

We'd have won this game today if he wasn't on the pitch. His tight dribbling looks really good, and he won free kicks, but time and time again he completely took the momentum and impetus out of the team when we looked most dangerous. Going down for nothing when he looked like beating his man was bad enough, but time and time again we could have played a couple of quick passes and had a shot on goal, but he got his head down, slowed down and just meandered aimlessly on the ball. I have a feeling people are going to disagree with me on this one, but if all he can do is dribble really well and win freekicks (when he isn't giving the ball away by going to ground too easily), then he is no use to us.

That's what some said about Dyer too, but I'd have Dyer back over this guy tbh.

It's also speculation that they both won't do anything of course. :thup:

Speculation with a fairly solid basis though. Not exactly throwing darts at the board.

Carroll does an ok job but he isn't a goalscorer, which is what we badly, badly need

Harper 6

R Taylor 5

S Taylor 6

Coloccini 6

Enrique 7

Jonas 5

Smith 8

Nolan 6

Duff 6

Carroll 6

Ameobi 0 - get this useless w***** out the club, ruined us today and will all season.

Krul 7

Barton 7

Better ratings then a few Ronaldo, but Barton 7?  More than Jonas?  He did nowt when he came on, didn't even settle things down by holding on to the ball.