West Brom 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 08/08/09 - post match reaction from page 34

Dave

If this is the best team the Championship has to offer then we are going to piss this league if and when we get ourselves sorted out.

We are in complete disarray and nearly beat the best team in the league.

who said they were the best team in the league?

they were s***

Bookies have them as fav's don't they?

I think so, and Chris Kamara!  :lol:

If this is the best team the Championship has to offer then we are going to piss this league if and when we get ourselves sorted out.

We are in complete disarray and nearly beat the best team in the league.

We didn't win because we can't score goals. Unless that changes we won't be in the promotion frame.

This

Aye, but surely that will change at some point when the takeover happens and we appoint a manager and maybe sign someone. Also not forgetting the chance when we finally fully unleash the Ranger to go on the hunt.

We'll find goals man, dont worry.

Guest Soundas

I think we played ok, Duff's goal was good.

We we're away at a team who is expected to go up, Real test will be if we can perform at home.

Nolan off for Barton (Hate to say that) He is way better, Would like to see Smith again aswell within that role i think he played a good game :yikes:

Few more but you all have said it :D

If the takeover happens and we appoint a manager all we need is a few signings to tide us over to Jan then we can really strengthen with enough time left to make a tilt at the title.

'Make a tilt at the title!' it seems weird saying that!!!  :lol:

we have 3 f***ing weeks for all that to occur Pedro. As Shearer said earlier, all the signings he wanted have gone to other clubs

Not all of them.

pretty sure he used the word 'all' like, seemed like he was half-joking but still.

Can anyone honestly see us signing a capable striker between now and Sep?

Well, my thoughts for today:

Colocinni was awful, looked really nervy on the ball, seemed to dwell on things and just generally cause unnecessary shit at the back. I think our whole defence other than Steven Taylor was guilty of this.

I was very impressed with Smith, I thought he put in a great shift, won so many tackles and actually led by example, if he can carry on like this, he might actually turn out to be alright for us. Nolan offered absolutely fuck all, slow as hell, seems to be oblivious to the fact that people are closing him down at times. Barton did alright when he came on. I'm surprised he didn't start, perhaps Shearer is having some input?

I've always been a fan of Jonas', he usually works hard, and runs at defenders, but I can't defend his delivery anymore. His crossing is absolutely shocking, 0 end product. He faded as the game went on as well.

Carroll did well, won a lot of headers and shouldn't have been the one to come off for Barton, it should have been either Ameobi (who was his usual self), or Nolan.

Krul looks like a very good shot stopper, and very eager to make a claim for the ball, almost to a fault, but I was more impressed with him than Harper. I'm pretty certain Harper wouldn't have got down to that first save Krul made.

Performance wise as a team, I thought our goal was a very well worked goal and we showed decent signs of ball retention, but we caused unnecessary trouble for ourselves, as we always do. Over the 90 I thought we were slightly the better, but a draw is a fair result. This game had 1-1 written all over it IMO anyway.

Probably not, I just found it strange that Barton didn't start.

Probably because of yesterday's training ground incident during which he allegedly walked off, take it you haven't heard about it

Nope, didn't know about that, barely been online since work yesterday. Same old same old then...

Imagine if we'd appointed Shearer, cleared out the deadwood, hung onto Beye/Bassong, signed a few players... just imagine that.

Fucking depressing. :lol: Very good result in the circumstances; you could say it buys us another week of time. A loss would have been seriously manky.

Guest Geordiekev

Probably not, I just found it strange that Barton didn't start.

There was another training ground bust up.

By all counts he kicked off with our Argies... Collo got a right mouthfull along with Jonas then Joey is reported to have turned his aggression toward Hughton, played down this evening though but not denied..

Collo needs to be told how crap and uninterested he is ffs.. He stood static the whole time as he watched the man he was supposed to be covering put a sloppy goal past us.

Only saw the last 20 minutes and it looked the same old.

Jonas was fucking awful and seemed incapable of either running with the ball or finding a Newcastle player with any sort of pass.  Nolan, Duff and Shola just looked like passengers, and Collocini was terrifying whe any sort of ball came anywhere near to him.

I just hope they earned thier wages in the previous 70 minutes.

After watching this, if things don't change and if I was an opposition manager I would just be humping the ball up long and waiting for one of our defenders to innevitably fuck up as our 'defence' is all over the place.

Only saw the last 20 minutes and it looked the same old.

Jonas was fucking awful and seemed incapable of either running with the ball or finding a Newcastle player with any sort of pass.  Nolan, Duff and Shola just looked like passengers, and Collocini was terrifying whe any sort of ball came anywhere near to him.

I just hope they earned thier wages in the previous 70 minutes.

After watching this, if things don't change and if I was an opposition manager I would just be humping the ball up long and waiting for one of our defenders to innevitably fuck up as our 'defence' is all over the place.

I think that's a rather good appraisal of the game, and I agree with your last point. WBA are one of the best footballing sides we'll meet all season and their style suited us. When we meet the big bruising route one merchants we will struggle, especially if Collocini continues to play CB.

Not bad, could have gone either way in the end. Enjoyable game and a decent atmosphere. Would have taken that before hand. We desperately need a striker, Shola is fucking shit, but what's new? Carroll played well but is just a target man, he won't get us the amount of goals required to go up. Beckford in please. Also what. is. the. fucking. point in bringing Ranger on with 90 seconds left? Totally pointless, Jonas should have been brought off with 15 to go as he was fucked, same with Nolan who looked unfit.

Harper - Not bad, should have done better with their goal.

Krul - Fantastic, saved the point in the end, 3 or 4 brilliant saves, and came out for crosses which relieved the defence.

R Taylor - Defending was OK, going forward, shit.

S Taylor - Good game from him, heading is still a bit hit and miss, sometimes just nodding it straight down to one of their midfielders which he can't afford to keep doing.

Colo - Decent overall, a few scares and didn't look confident with Moore at any stage. Made quite a few interceptions though.

Enrique - Played well, passing is still shit, tries to be over elaborate which is fucking frustrating when all he needs to do is pass to feet. Still scared of overlapping too.

Duff - Shit, dithers far too long twisting and turning meaning we lose all momentum, GET THE FUCKER IN EARLY MAN.

Smith - Did the holding/destroyer job well, looked tired towards the end but had an excellent game overall, at least he doesn't think he's fucking Rivaldo and try to spray 50 yard cross field balls like Butt. MOTM.

Nolan - Meh, slow and sluggish but didn't do too badly, got to be dropped for Barton.

Jonas - Not great, his crossing is :facepalm: at best, doesn't look confident.

Ameobi - Invisible most of the time, clumsy as fuck when he did have it, shooting was shite. A standard Shola game then.

Carroll - Battled well but isn't a natural goalscorer, won a lot of headers and put himself about well, needs someone to do some leg work next to him for him to shine but of course Shola won't do that.

Barton - Looked fairly bright when he come on, will hopefully start next week instead of Nolan.

Ranger - Decent little cameo, nodded one down for Duff but was brought on far too late.

WE NEED A STRIKER.

Looking forward to seeing Guthrie in action in this league too. I think the lad has a lot to offer, would certainly be more productive than having Nolan there.