Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Very harsh

Why?

I don't think having a few quid on an accumulator warrants an 18month ban mind. Rio got 8 month for missing a drug test, Berahino got a minimal suspension for failing a test - both amount to serious cheating in my opinion. Meanwhile, Joey has a 5 team accumulator through the week for entertainment and gets 18 month. Just seems an extraordinary length of time for the actual non-effect his betting has caused.

1260 bets between 2006 & 2016

2.42 bets a week isn't really a lot.

If he backed against his own team, and there was a suggestion of match fixing then that would open a can of worms, agreed. But from what I;ve read there is no suggestion of match fixing.

Backing against his own team is probably what's caused the ban to be so lengthy. Although it may not directly be match fixing, he could indirectly be influencing the outcome (if he's let on he's had a bet, etc).

£5 winnings against a total stake of nearly £2K? He doesn't seem to be that good at gambling on football TBH.

To be fair those were against his own team. I'd need to see the rest to pass verdict on how good he is.

Very harsh

Why?

I don't think having a few quid on an accumulator warrants an 18month ban mind. Rio got 8 month for missing a drug test, Berahino got a minimal suspension for failing a test - both amount to serious cheating in my opinion. Meanwhile, Joey has a 5 team accumulator through the week for entertainment and gets 18 month. Just seems an extraordinary length of time for the actual non-effect his betting has caused.

He's broken very specific rules 1260 times. He also placed bets on his own team to lose which opens up a whole new argument in terms of match fixing.

the length of the ban is ridiculous and its only this long as its Joey Barton if it was any other player the punishment wouldnt be so severe. Regardless of the amount of bets he has put on which he has owned up to its still excessive and lets face it he isnt the only player who will be doing this.

Other players have committed more serious breaches of rules and not faced 18mth punishments

Guest firetotheworks

The excuse every single time with Barton is 'if it was someone else, they wouldn't have been treated as harshly', the point that's regularly ignored is that it's not someone else and it's regularly him.

Any betting where you're doing it for or against your own team is fair game really, even if you're backing them it's a massive conflict of interest - what if the manager wants you to play for a point with five minutes to go but you need them to win? He had himself on first goalscorer in one game, raising the possibility of him shooting instead of laying off for a tap in - the problem there is that the rules don't seem to make much allowance for how much he has staked relative to his earnings. I doubt his £3 on himself FGS at probably 10/1 is going to affect his life very much, in fact none of this money is, so the 18 months looks harsh in that context. It's clearly not a money-making exercise.

If he wasn't betting in matches that involved his own team (especially against them) then I would say a ban would be harsh.

He is right though that the clubs, leagues, and FA are all promoting betting and getting into bed with bookmakers, however like everything with Barton he only points it out for a case in his defence and not because he should point it out. I can't help but feel that the new laws with betting is all done to prevent betting companies from losing out, than it is to protect the sport from widespread corruption.

Guest firetotheworks

I just find it mental that Rio get 8 months for the Drugs ban and Barton gets 18 months for this.

Rio got 8 months for missing a drugs test, he didn't get a drugs ban.

Guest firetotheworks

Bet against his own team only when he wasn't playing or even on the bench. No match fixing implications at all.

Even if this is a legitimate point, the rules are extremely clear, like.

Guest neesy111

Bet against his own team only when he wasn't playing or even on the bench. No match fixing implications at all.

The rules are clear regarding this.  He's broken them a stupid amount of times.  It's a completely deserved ban.

The rules are clear regarding this.  He's broken them a stupid amount of times.  It's a completely deserved ban.

I get that but half the posts about him betting against his own team omitted this point and it's quite an important one. We're not a tabloid newspaper FFS!

Deserves a ban but 18 months is f***ing ridiculous. He's broken rules but hasn't cheated or brought the game into disrepute.

He's bet in games when he himself is involved in, it's not harsh at all :lol: Sure, none of them were for his team to lose, but things like himself being FGS could have a huge impact on a game. He probably should have just bet on himself to get sent off instead like, seems much more likely.

Also find it a bit odd that betfair never caught onto this, surely it's against their T&C as well?

He's bet in games when he himself is involved in, it's not harsh at all :lol: Sure, none of them were for his team to lose, but things like himself being FGS could have a huge impact on a game. He probably should have just bet on himself to get sent off instead like, seems much more likely.

Also find it a bit odd that betfair never caught onto this, surely it's against their T&C as well?

Betting companies aren't exactly known for their moral standards

I just find it mental that Rio get 8 months for the Drugs ban and Barton gets 18 months for this.

Rio got 8 months for missing a drugs test, he didn't get a drugs ban.

Same thing imo.

:thup:

You're not taking into the account the human aspect here - mainly that the bloke has a gambling addiction. Add in the fact that he has been very open during the investigation and there's no way he should be given an 18month ban.

The FA should be helping pro footballers with gambling addication in my opinion because this is a serious problem - instead they've chose to come down on it harder than usual. Don't see any benefit in this approach going forward.