Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/newcastle_united_boss_alan_pardew_hopeful_of_keeping_joey_barton_1_3527721

I have spoke to Joey over the summer. Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no new contract for him.

Couldn't be clearer IMO. Not he's refusing the one we have offered him, or supposedly offered him in January. There just isn't an offer to him.

Guest Roger Kint

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/newcastle_united_boss_alan_pardew_hopeful_of_keeping_joey_barton_1_3527721

I have spoke to Joey over the summer. Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no new contract for him.

Couldn't be clearer IMO. Not he's refusing the one we have offered him, or supposedly offered him in January. There just isn't an offer to him.

The talks were put on hold by Barton a few month back. They obviously withdrew any offers they gave at that point hence there was/is no new contract when Mckay met them. There had to be some form of offer in January/February or are you saying Mckay lied when he said the only issue wias its length?

Guest Roger Kint

No, I'm responding to people who make out he's refusing to sign the one on the table. There isn't one.

Ah got you, that one is about as likely as Nolan's new deal now. It ceased to exist when talks stalled earlier tbh.

Guest neesy111

No, I'm responding to people who make out he's refusing to sign the one on the table. There isn't one.

There isn't one now, but he refused to sign in January.  People are saying you can't expect to have a new contract put forward to you when you feel like it especially after turning down one 4-5 months back.

There isn't one now, but he refused to sign in January.  People are saying you can't expect to have a new contract put forward to you when you feel like it especially after turning down one 4-5 months back.

:lol:

Guest johnson293

Dont worry man... Joey's gonna be offered a new 3 yr contract before they head off to the states.

Colin said.

:cheesy:

I'm saying we haven't offered one probably because they're not budging on how long they want. As per McKay's quotes in March & in May.

This is probably true and they'd have most likely made that offer available again if Barton wanted it. After his childish behaviour recently I cant see them offering him anything now.

I'm saying we haven't offered one probably because they're not budging on how long they want. As per McKay's quotes in March & in May.

This is probably true and they'd have most likely made that offer available again if Barton wanted it. After his childish behaviour recently I cant see them offering him anything now.

I think if McKay and Barton came back to them and said we'll sign the 1 or 2 year extension or whatever it is, the club would give him it. I don't think Barton wants that though, and the club don't want to offer longer so it's a stalemate.

Guest Recoba

The sad thing will be when Joey signs for Blackburn at the end of the season on less money than he turned down (but probably more years).

That is assuming Blackburn don't go down.

The thing is even if he betters last season he will be going on 30 and top clubs won't be interested in him with his 'history'.

Guest Roger Kint

The sad thing will be when Joey signs for Blackburn at the end of the season on less money than he turned down (but probably more years).

The thing is even if he betters last season he will be going on 30 and top clubs won't be interested in him with his 'history'.

Blackburn have money now, he would get a good deal there tbh

I still think he'll sign before start of the new season, he is a great player for us and seems to want to be here. I think the broad vs him and his agent is juat 2 stubborn sets of ppl diggin their heels in, a compromise will be made at some point. take away his past and he's and england regular in my mind.

I don't see any worthy (in his view) club offering Barton a longer-term deal on the money he wants and the club have used this to their advantage. As long as he has an inflated view of his own worth, there is little point entering into negotiations.

It's a high-risk strategy, but then Barton is a high-risk player. He was brilliant last season, but poor / injured/ incarcerated for the previous three. So maybe not too unreasonable to see how he fares this time round.

Perhaps an October contract offer would be well-timed.

Blackburn have money now, he would get a good deal there tbh

Mind you, I'm still holding out hope that he'll stay with us beyond this coming season.

Dunno - I think he's given it too large with the talkin/twitter stuff.

I'd vote for your hope but  sense that there would have to be some really serious giving way from both sides.

The only quotes we have are from Barton and his agent are they not? They maintain the club have decided not to offer him a new contract. To use an argument Tron often does, why hasn't the club denied this if it's untrue and he simply didn't accept the one on the table?

Both sides are not telling the truth tbh.

I would believe Barton over the other scum bags tbh,our team is slowly getting ripped apart by  Laurel and Hardy pulling the strings of Depardew getting paid to take the flak .

Mind you, I'm still holding out hope that he'll stay with us beyond this coming season.

Dunno - I think he's given it too large with the talkin/twitter stuff.

I'd vote for your hope but  sense that there would have to be some really serious giving way from both sides.

Barton's situation is definitely not looking good in terms of staying beyond his current contract. But like I've said, I really hope he stays.....

It's also a huge gamble on Barton's part like.

Sure, it's fine for him to say I'll take £50k a week as a reduction but I want a 3 year contract rather than 2, but if it gets to March/April and he's not in the side which is a possibility with midfield being our strongest area in terms of quality and depth, it might be the case where no-one will offer him that, and he gets something like £30k just to stay as a squad member.

As long as he stays this season I am happy. He can be replaced over time imo but it would be nice to keep the momentum of the team from last year and build on that, rather than gambling and gutting it and putting fresh replacements in.