Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Set pieces were absolutely woeful with half a dozen simply pumped out of play, way over everyone's head or straight into the nearest defender but he did have an awful lot of them and a few were put into decent areas, there was very little to aim at though. Can't ever remember a Premiership game where we've had such a huge amount of free kicks/corners and done so little with them. We didn't manage a single header on goal.

If only Ryan Taylor wasn't so generally shite.

Mind you, it was shocking refereeing not to take any action against Meireles for consistent encroachment, standing 5 yards away from a fucking corner, blocking it, then doing exactly the same with the next one.

my patience has snapped. get rid.  Buy a proper right sided player.

He wont cut it in the middle.

Agree with the second part.

He's fine as a RM, though. He just looked am awful lot better with Andy Carroll and then Leon Best to aim for. With these two c***s up front he's bound to be less effective.

Barton to AC, was a better version of Geremi to Owen.

Set pieces were absolutely woeful with half a dozen simply pumped out of play, way over everyone's head or straight into the nearest defender but he did have an awful lot of them and a few were put into decent areas, there was very little to aim at though. Can't ever remember a Premiership game where we've had such a huge amount of free kicks/corners and done so little with them. We didn't manage a single header on goal.

If only Ryan Taylor wasn't so generally s****.

Mind you, it was shocking refereeing not to take any action against Meireles for consistent encroachment, standing 5 yards away from a f***ing corner, blocking it, then doing exactly the same with the next one.

Agree on the encrochment.  Those 2 corners in the first half were a joke

he's not indispensable. i wouldn't aim to replace him as we've far more pressing issues but if an opportunity presents itself both to get a good price and bring in an actual RW then i wouldn't necessarily be averse.

Mind you, it was shocking refereeing not to take any action against Meireles for consistent encroachment, standing 5 yards away from a f***ing corner, blocking it, then doing exactly the same with the next one.

Thought 'Meresh' timed his run quite well. When Barton's foot made contact with the ball he was about 9 yards away but because he was running into the path of the ball it made it look like he was far closer.

Good tactic tbh.

Thought 'Meresh' timed his run quite well. When Barton's foot made contact with the ball he was about 9 yards away but because he was running into the path of the ball it made it look like he was far closer.

Good tactic tbh.

9 yards ain't 10 though is it?  Should have been pulled up on the 2nd one

Good tactic tbh.

Virtually impossible for the ref to see that though. There's no line on the park and he's got to keep an eye on what's happening in the box too. And it's in front of the Kop.

Did you really expect him to book him? ???

His set pieces are absolutely awful.

Agreed, I wonder if Jonas could offer something different?

:lol:

It would certainly be different. I'd let him have one for a bit of a laugh, but the joke of the ball rolling slowly along the ground vaguely in the direction of the goal, whilst no worse than most of the deliveries today, would soon grow old.

Pretty sure we've scored a few from Jonas corners this season.

I remember Shola at Chelsea and I know he crosses the ball fairly well at times (Birmingham away was a case in point) but I'm still genuinely surprised and impressed every time he manages to get the ball off the ground and with pace on. He'd have to become ludicrously good before I'm able to let go of this stereotype of him unfortunately, it's just too deeply ingrained now :lol:

Good tactic tbh.

Virtually impossible for the ref to see that though. There's no line on the park and he's got to keep an eye on what's happening in the box too. And it's in front of the Kop.

Did you really expect him to book him? ???

Nope. But he should have had a word with him.

I remember Shola at Chelsea and I know he crosses the ball fairly well at times (Birmingham away was a case in point) but I'm still genuinely surprised and impressed every time he manages to get the ball off the ground and with pace on. He'd have to become ludicrously good before I'm able to let go of this stereotype of him unfortunately, it's just too deeply ingrained now :lol:

Shola's fine with dead balls, tbh. Just seems to struggle when he has to deal with a ball in motion.

Shola's fine with dead balls, tbh. Just seems to struggle when he has to deal with a ball in motion.

I'm talking about Jonas taking corners McBeefaz, sort yourself out!

I'm talking about Jonas taking corners McBeefaz, sort yourself out!

I was talking about Jonas.

Edit: Heh? Apparently, I was talking about Shola.

He and Nolan mean more than that in terms of continuity and team spirit though.

If we want to progress I would say next season we should be looking at playing only one of them in most game as they are both slow around the pitch. Barton losing possession regularly when he plays in the middle is testament to that. By all means keep them here for team spirit but I don't see why either should command big club wages when most big clubs won't touch them with a barge pole.

Strange that he took those two excellent corners that lead to goals in quick succession but then has barely taken one since.

Reminds me of when N'Zogbia scored a cracking free kick against Fulham on Owen's debut, he then proceeded to never touch a direct free kick again for years, even when it favoured the left footer, had me baffled for a long time.

I don't really understand why Barton is holding out for better terms if he is desperate to stay at Newcastle. He's in danger of putting himself in the same category as Seb Larsson as an option and I'm not sure he's a better package all things considered.