Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pardew is also keen for Joey Barton to extend his deal on Tyneside. The midfielder Barton is happy in the North-East and wants to stay, but also knows the club would cash in if the price is right.

In Pardew's eyes, it is up to the player and his agent to settle the deal that's now on the table.

“Contracts are complicated in terms of how they are paid, tax issues, length," he said. "I want Joey to stay.”

Can't remember 'tax issues' being ever mentioned before, or at any club for that matter. What does 'complicated in terms of how they are paid' mean? ???

Pardew is also keen for Joey Barton to extend his deal on Tyneside. The midfielder Barton is happy in the North-East and wants to stay, but also knows the club would cash in if the price is right.

In Pardew's eyes, it is up to the player and his agent to settle the deal that's now on the table.

“Contracts are complicated in terms of how they are paid, tax issues, length," he said. "I want Joey to stay.”

Can't remember 'tax issues' being ever mentioned before, or at any club for that matter. What does 'complicated in terms of how they are paid' mean? ???

Image rights bollocks and all that.

Didn't say out really to report, the pair of them.

Barton:

Loves playing here, will probably live here for life.

Will sign if Nolan does, real spirit in the camp and Nolan responsible.

Turned to Smith in Leyton Orient game and said this is the best thing that's happened to us.

Laughed when reading players (mentioned no names, hinted at Duff, Martins, Beye) saying they loved the club and fans and they were the 'first cunts to fuck off'.

With investment this club can go far, came here to win things, still his ambition.

Had a laugh about the fight in city centre as well.

Days like Plymouth and 5-1 will live with him forever.

Club needs to stop doing stupid stuff like 'selling your best striker and not replacing him' and 'signing players like Ben Arfa which is great, but forgetting about the likes of Nolan who deserve new deals'

Nolan:

Admitted he's not the most giften footballer in the world, but will work his bollocks off for the club.

Would move up here after career if it wasn't for his family.

Spoke alot about the spirit, thanked Hughton, Calderwood and PB.

Makes it clear to young lads/new players if they don't like it, to piss off.

As before, bit irritated by some of Joey's comments. He's let the club and the fans down with his behaviour before, and he shouldn't be criticising other players.

He shouldn't also be publicly involving himself in the issue of Nolan's contract. It's like he's trying to pressure the club into offering his mate a good deal. Either that, or he's reluctant to take responsibility for his own decision.

Guest Chubby Jason

Why does he have to wait for Nolan to sign before he does? Where's the logic in that?

Why does he have to wait for Nolan to sign before he does? Where's the logic in that?

Maybe he's not convinced by the ambit...

Oh I forgot, we're not allowed to say that. I don't know then.

Maybe he's not convinced by the ambit...

Oh I forgot, we're not allowed to say that. I don't know then.

Barton's done well but he's not Enrique. If he leaves there won't be a Liverpool waiting to sign him.

Newcastle FC midfielder Joey Barton has looked to the world of music to get his public perception sorted out – by hiring Vampire Weekend's manager for an image overhaul.

The controversial midfielder is known for his brushes with the law, and was jailed in 2008 for assault. But according to The Sun today (May 23) he has enlisted music manager Ian Montone to help get rid of his bad boy image after meeting him at Vampire Weekend gigs.

The newspaper quotes a source as saying: "Joey realises his past is nothing to be proud of. And he insists he is now a changed man. By getting Ian on board he wants the world to know. He is really dedicated to music. He's much rather go to a gig in a sweaty little venue than go to the kind of cheesy over-priced clubs most of the Premier League players prefer."

Aparrently Montone has "agreed to use his muscle to try and sort out his image." Beginning with nicely-placed stories in the tabloids about how he's a changed man who loves indie music, we presume.

http://www.nme.com/news/tabloid-hell/56824

I'm a bit concerned that Barton and Nolan seem to be using each other as bargaining chips to get favourable new deals. Being last off the pitch is great but it doesn't count for much on it. Joey went missing second half yesterday for me. I wouldn't give him a new contract if he's trying to tie his mate in as a condition.

I'm a bit concerned that Barton and Nolan seem to be using each other as bargaining chips to get favourable new deals. Being last off the pitch is great but it doesn't count for much on it. Joey went missing second half yesterday for me. I wouldn't give him a new contract if he's trying to tie his mate in as a condition.

I agree. That's not playing the game.

Guest toonlass

I think Joey needs the reassurance of Kevin Nolan at the club. That he looks to him as a support in his personal life as well as on the pitch. I've got no problem with giving them both new contracts

I think Joey needs the reassurance of Kevin Nolan at the club. That he looks to him as a support in his personal life as well as on the pitch. I've got no problem with giving them both new contracts

The club has to be aware of a player's personal issues, but to offer his mentor a playing contract with that in mind, is going too far.

Those two are starting to talk like they're the sole guardians of team spirit. Joey in particular always seems to get a round of applause when he starts telling the owner what he should be doing, and criticizing other players, but for me, he's getting too big for his boots. He should stop trying to run the club and concentrate on continuing to sort out his own contribution.

The club has to be aware of a player's personal issues, but to offer his mentor a playing contract with that in mind, is going too far.

Those two are starting to talk like they're the sole guardians of team spirit. Joey in particular always seems to get a round of applause when he starts telling the owner what he should be doing, and criticizing other players, but for me, he's getting too big for his boots. He should stop trying to run the club and concentrate on continuing to sort out his own contribution.

Some of the sounds coming from these two reek of "player power" and I fear that it could eventually become a problem.

I get a sneaking feeling that the club may just decide to ship both of them out, disband "this group of lads," and try to just build a team from scratch if contract negotiations start to stall.

Guest toonlass

Cronky, I could agree with you if Barton was insisting that, say, Alan Smith was given a lucrative new deal, before signing up. However Nolan is a superb captain, a good leader, and is top goalscorer for us this season. I can understand that Joey needs assurances of stability. He has been great for us this season, and has made great changes to himself off the pitch too and from what I've heard him say Nolan has helped him with his personal life changes too.

Saying "i'll sign if we also tie 'x'player up" is realy quite similar to saying "i'll sign if we show ambition in the summer transfer market". Not signing up Nolan could be seen as an unambitious move to Barton, although it probably is just a ploy to get his mate a contract (which he would have gotten anyway).

Cronky, I could agree with you if Barton was insisting that, say, Alan Smith was given a lucrative new deal, before signing up. However Nolan is a superb captain, a good leader, and is top goalscorer for us this season. I can understand that Joey needs assurances of stability. He has been great for us this season, and has made great changes to himself off the pitch too and from what I've heard him say Nolan has helped him with his personal life changes too.

Nolan's been offered a new deal even though there's still two years left on his contract. Good captain or not I don't think we can hand out lucrative long term contracts to a player who has clearly physically declined since his Bolton days. We have one or two players who we need to hold onto because the best clubs will be in for them - they are that good. Neither Nolan or Bartoon fit into that category for me. I'd prefer to keep Barton especially but we might be better just letting them play out their contracts and looking at it again when they are done.

Exactly what sort of contract Nolan is worth is open to debate, but in any case that's down to the club to decide. For Joey to publicly say that Nolan's contract is the deal-breaker for him is a form of manipulation that's not good for the squad as a whole. The squad have to see that everyone's being assessed according to the same process.

I'd agree with oldtype - the whole thing is in danger of getting out of hand.

The situation has arisen because of the Carroll sale. After that, none of the players can be sure that the club won't ship out the core of the squad, and are more apprehensive of it than they might have been if the Carroll sale hadn't happened. Nolan is in that core. He is without a doubt one of our most important players, at least  this season, and the players most likely view him as an important player for next season.

Think Barton is starting to push it a little bit to far for my liking. The last few months both off and on the field has made that I don´t like him as much as the first half of the season. I´m very disappointed with him.